Yay for Menopause

Replies

• I’m 46 and have been peri for the past 4-5 years. I cannot wait for menopause.
  • Anabirgite
    Anabirgite Posts: 501 Member
    How do you force menopause? I'm 53, not really wanting it to happen, but curious when it will. Sick of periods....

I am working with my doctors ( gynecologist and neurologist) right now trying to force menopause- I went on the pill for three months straight, hoping when I paused this week I would not have a period- FAIL this month. but will try again for 3 months. I am having a horrible peri-menopause-migraines everyday, insomnia, my progesterone is totally out of whack.
  • Evamutt
    Evamutt Posts: 2,261 Member
    I started having perimenopause at age 42, after it hit, my Dr took tests to see what level my hormones were at & prescribed hormone cream that was mixed up for me. Dr was very much into herbs & natural & said this hormone cream was good for the heart too. It helped with the hot flashes but I've always been a "hot" person, even in my 20's & still get hot flashes years after menopause
  • dustyspal
    dustyspal Posts: 835 Member
    Found this thread very interesting. I'm 49 and Oct 1 was.my 1 year anniversary TOM-free. Hopefully it will continue, but I haven't had it too bad! I have had a few nights when I woke up due to night sweats, but not that many. I do have minor hot flashes at night, but nothing major. Mainly I wake up due to sleep apnea, and kick the blanket off occasionally, but not really sweaty, just hot. I'm working on losing weight. I've lost almost 50lbs.since.summer. I still have a lot more to lose, but not finding it too, too difficult. I just love not getting my period.anymore!! I can live with the rest. After reading many of these other posts, I consider myself very fortunate!
  • Pipsqueak1965
    Pipsqueak1965 Posts: 397 Member
    Peri was blinking awful. Permanently tired because I couldn't sleep, tetchy, loss of libido (dryness - eugh), awful frequent heavy periods. However, I did lose quite a bit of weight. Then got past that and am on HRT. Pluses of which are sleep relatively ok, not irritable, minuses are that I have put on some weight, and get spots. Hmm. Dryness and lack of libido still an issue.
  • ladyzherra
    ladyzherra Posts: 438 Member
    I think that reframing the societal ideals about menopause and aging for women is empowerment. Good for you!
  • krael65
    krael65 Posts: 306 Member
    whmscll wrote: »
    Here’s a “boo” for menopause...just had bloodwork done, and my cholesterol is high, specifically my “bad” cholesterol. This happens in menopause due to reduced estrogen, among other things. I’m not happy, since I already limit meat/saturated fat, alcohol, commerical baked goods and just lost about 20 pounds while exercising 4-6 days a week. My diet is going to become even more restricted! Would prefer to stay off meds as long as possible.

BOOO! That sux. Especially when you are already working hard!
  • kristingjertsen
    kristingjertsen Posts: 239 Member
    Soymilk, tofu, lots of vegetables and fruit, whole grains, and fatty fish all helped with my menopause symptoms. Advised to add them to my diet by my OBGYN. Soymilk and tofu ended my hot flashes, adding moderate portions of whole grains (roughly 1/2 half cup per meal per day) and lots of vegetables and fruit helped me drop the 15 pounds I gained after "the change", and the fatty fish (sardines, salmon, herring, mackerel) made my skin glow again, stopped the dry eye, and helped with the dreaded dryness in other areas as well. I also exercise daily, 3 good aerobic workouts, some weight training, swimming, stretching. I mix things up over the course of the week, depending on my schedule and how I am feeling. I would like to drop another 10 pounds by my 55th birthday, so I have started tracking my calories again on the site. Nothing extreme, but I would love to get back to 145 which was my achieved goal weight the year I turned 50.
  • Diatonic12
    Diatonic12 Posts: 32,344 Member
    So I was reading a thread on facebook from one of my friends who is diabetic and another of her friends (male) talked about his symptoms when he is going thru a blood sugar crash.

I have always attributed my night sweats to menopause but haven't understood what the trigger was. I now have a possible connection between why women get hot flashes and night sweats. Possibly due to a blood sugar dive which hormones no longer control. Esp since I tend to get a lot of my calories in the evening many of which are carbs etc... WOW. LIGHTBULB MOMENT!!! I wonder if we took a blood sugar reading during a hot flash whether it would show an extreme low? or maybe those type of sweats from low blood sugar dives and hot flashes are not similar at all.

Just food for thought.

Smart. Very smart.
    My grandmother started having hot flashes/night sweats at the age of 44 and they didn't stop until she was 94. They attributed all of it menopause/hormones but didn't connect the dots to glucose regulation.