In your 60’s

Replies

• annliz23
    annliz23 Posts: 3,193 Member
    The
    Grind
    Includes
    Friday.

One more day. Planning some woods therapy with my daughter and granddaughter tomorrow. Some hiking and playing, a campfire and Dutch oven lunch (and possibly s'mores) and a dip in the hot springs!

Sound like super fun!
  • swim777
    swim777 Posts: 599 Member
    I tripped a month ago on the pavement, and did the scraped knees and elbows thing. A couple of years ago I fell and broke my wrist when I slipped on ice. Of course, I still put my arms out to catch myself if I fall, but it brings back memories of what could happen! Glad you are okay! I agree that the more you move, the healthier you are. One of our neighbors, in her eighties, walked a mile out here every day. She was amazing. Mostly, I love how strong I feel when I’m walking and swimming.
  • annliz23
    Happy weekend!
  • 4Linda0
    4Linda0 Posts: 7 Member
    Catching up on the posts. Enjoying them all.

The clothes photo is wonderful to see your all your hard work progress. You should be so proud of yourself!

Our current dog was a foster. Never fostered before and thought it would be nice to help out the shelter. She had a health issue that had to be surgically repaired before she could be put up for adoption.

We really bonded with her, and ended up adopting her when she was adoptable after the surgery.

She is a great walking buddy. Happy Saturday all!
  • Evamutt
    Evamutt Posts: 2,261 Member
    Love seeing the pictures @megamom , great to get a visual, GREAT JOB!!! I'm still working on these 10 lbs I gained. I know it's going to take mostly more exercise as I'm doing pretty well with food intake & only indulge once in a while, like last night it was my dtr in laws B day. Our son made sandwiches out of 3 crusty french breads & cut them into about 4" slices, I had one & 2 bacon wrapped hot dogs, chips jello dessert & a slice of an apple pie I made with 1/2 cup of brown sugar. I know I went over some but not by much. I went to lunch for our monthly lunch out with some friends. I had baked Tilapia with veggies. The best part was I didn't have any of the chocolate cake with chocolate gnash from Whole Foods, I looked at the label & it said 920 calories for 1/8 piece!! how could that even be? Most days I eat around 1600 cal but to lose even 1/2 lb/week, it's 1430 ugh! so I have to up my exercise. I've tried many ways to eat less but I get too hungry eating under 1600
  • annliz23
    Evamutt wrote: »
    Love seeing the pictures @megamom , great to get a visual, GREAT JOB!!! I'm still working on these 10 lbs I gained. I know it's going to take mostly more exercise as I'm doing pretty well with food intake & only indulge once in a while, like last night it was my dtr in laws B day. Our son made sandwiches out of 3 crusty french breads & cut them into about 4" slices, I had one & 2 bacon wrapped hot dogs, chips jello dessert & a slice of an apple pie I made with 1/2 cup of brown sugar. I know I went over some but not by much. I went to lunch for our monthly lunch out with some friends. I had baked Tilapia with veggies. The best part was I didn't have any of the chocolate cake with chocolate gnash from Whole Foods, I looked at the label & it said 920 calories for 1/8 piece!! how could that even be? Most days I eat around 1600 cal but to lose even 1/2 lb/week, it's 1430 ugh! so I have to up my exercise. I've tried many ways to eat less but I get too hungry eating under 1600

Nevermind you are doing so well!
  • sandhillsmom
    sandhillsmom Posts: 319 Member
    61 over here, starting again to lose weight and get healthy. could use some friends
  • looneycatblue
    looneycatblue Posts: 1,301 Member
    61 over here, starting again to lose weight and get healthy. could use some friends

I am turning 61 in October, I can be your friend. 😁
  • Fantastic pic, Megamom. I'm sure you don't have any idea how much you've inspired many of us.
  • alteredsteve175
    alteredsteve175 Posts: 2,716 Member
    Hope you all are having an awesome week. Autumn is definitely here in Idaho. Cool mornings and warm afternoons.
  • fitlulu4150
    fitlulu4150 Posts: 1,371 Member
    I just read this article on aging and complexity. It just reaffirms for me that we are on the right track to slowing the aging process down through exercise. I also do mentally challenging puzzles and they are mentioned as well. I haven't been able to skip a birthday yet..............LOL but I do feel that I'm ahead of the game at least a little and I'm sure some of you are as well!

https://getpocket.com/explore/item/the-real-secret-of-youth-is-complexity?utm_source=pocket-newtab
  • annliz23
    I just read this article on aging and complexity. It just reaffirms for me that we are on the right track to slowing the aging process down through exercise. I also do mentally challenging puzzles and they are mentioned as well. I haven't been able to skip a birthday yet..............LOL but I do feel that I'm ahead of the game at least a little and I'm sure some of you are as well!

https://getpocket.com/explore/item/the-real-secret-of-youth-is-complexity?utm_source=pocket-newtab

Thanks we play words 2 and I play memory games as my family has a history of dementia but my mum is 85 and strong as an ox apart from her mind she always had dogs and used to walk daily and garden i think that kept her strong.
  • fitlulu4150
    @annliz23, yes I think the memory games and word games are really important. I still work as well and most of it is with numbers as I'm the bookkeeper for our business. Between that, walking with my dog, hiking whenever I can and strength training at the gym, I think I'm doing the best I can for myself. It helps that I love doing all of it...........well, except for the bookkeeping, I could totally live without that..........LOL

I'm so happy for your mum and I'm sure she's inspired you!

• fitlulu4150
    Hmmmm sorry annaliz, didn’t catch the part about your mum’s mind until after I wrote that response. Dementia/Alzheimer’s is so tough on families 😢
  • annliz23
    Hmmmm sorry annaliz, didn’t catch the part about your mum’s mind until after I wrote that response. Dementia/Alzheimer’s is so tough on families 😢

It's fine that's for the comments!
  • 13ilgal413
    13ilgal413 Posts: 10 Member
    Hi, all. Anyone else doing Couch to 5K? I had the app on my phone from ages ago and decided to give it a try again. First day is a mix of walking and short (1 minute) runs. 8 runs spread over 30 minutes with 1.5 minute walks in between. I made a playlist that is about 130 BPM and that is a nice push for the walking part and kind of slow for the running part. Day 1 felt pretty good. Woo hoo!