283 and need my life back

Hi all! I’m Melissa. I have two little kids and I weigh 283 pounds. I’ve never told anyone how much I weigh. I was doing a little dance with my son’s kindergarten class the other day and it about killed me so I decided I’d rather be around for the long haul for my kids. Problem is I am pretty addicted to Pepsi and food. And I emotionally eat. I lost my mom last year to colon cancer and since then I’ve gained 50 pounds. I honestly have no idea if I can even lose weight because I feel like my self control is zero. I’ve become lazy and I feel disgusting. I’d love to get down to 200 pounds. I’m so fat my doctor suggested weight lose surgery. It’s so embarrassing. I need friends and accountability. Tips and good food options. Thank you all! I’m so appreciative to be here.

Replies

• Mcwi3681
    Mcwi3681 Posts: 67 Member
    Small steps. Start with changing one thing. Like the pepsi, maybe try quitting that? If that feels like too much, maybe try just switching to diet pepsi for now? Small, small steps is all you need to get started. Hugs and good luck!!
  • janstewart62
    janstewart62 Posts: 88 Member
    One day at a time....just try to think of it that way...you can do 1 day...at a time....
  • First, feeling despair is real and I am sorry you are feeling that....I get it. Another poster put a link up and that is a great place to start. When I first came here feeling despair, I just read and read and read and read. Just start. I lost 75 pounds and then the last two years I ve stalled out with over 40 yet to lose. I am supplementing my work on MFP by listening to a podcast called "100 pounds to lose" by Corinne Crabtree. She is VERY blunt and her language is brutal so dont be over sensitive to her brashness....anyway, I think that is helping me to kick start myself again. You can do this. You are not an anomaly...your body will respond to self love and self care. Every day. baby steps. patience and acknowledging that your health is your responsibility and will become your joy once you start and experience the sense of freedom brought by self discipline. All the best!!!!!
  • brenn24179
    brenn24179 Posts: 2,144 Member
    friend of mine gained 50 lbs when her Dad died. Yes, I am an emotional eater also. My Mother is not motherly so maybe it wont be as hard on me, be glad for your good memories. I have found I have to find pleasure in other things besides eating and it has surprised me this has happened, love being with other people and hobbies.
  • steveko89
    steveko89 Posts: 2,214 Member
    Be kind to yourself and take solace in the fact that you've taken the first steps to rectifying the situation. Trust the process, be consistent, and the results will come. One thing I learned early and like to share is that accumulating sustainable, manageable changes breeds more success than sweeping, drastic, hard-to-sustain, lifestyle shifts. Like another user suggested, try switching to diet soda, (or anything low/zero calorie) instead of your usual Pepsi. Starting logging what you're eating now and your data will show you where you're getting your calories. I found logging my food to be really demonstrative for where to find the low-hanging fruit in terms of what to limit/swap to drop calories from my daily intake. The answer might not be going cold turkey on Pepsi; start by limiting how many you have per day or week.

Good Luck!
  • memurph88
    memurph88 Posts: 102 Member
    Just added you!
    When I started I made my food diary public . I'm MUCH more strict when I know people can see what I'm eating. I allow myself one day of no tracking, and even then I don't eat junk food, I just eat more carbs or bigger portions than normal.

Good luck <3
  • tuddy315
    tuddy315 Posts: 11,291 Member
    Like everyone has said......small steps. Set your goal for 10 lbs at a time. When you reach 10 lbs, reset it for another 10 lbs and maybe it won't seem so impossible. As for the Pepsi, cut down to just 8oz a day. You can eat and drink anything as long as you fit it into your calorie budget.
  • IsETHome
    IsETHome Posts: 386 Member
    Hi all! I’m Melissa. I have two little kids and I weigh 283 pounds. I’ve never told anyone how much I weigh. I was doing a little dance with my son’s kindergarten class the other day and it about killed me so I decided I’d rather be around for the long haul for my kids. Problem is I am pretty addicted to Pepsi and food. And I emotionally eat. I lost my mom last year to colon cancer and since then I’ve gained 50 pounds. I honestly have no idea if I can even lose weight because I feel like my self control is zero. I’ve become lazy and I feel disgusting. I’d love to get down to 200 pounds. I’m so fat my doctor suggested weight lose surgery. It’s so embarrassing. I need friends and accountability. Tips and good food options. Thank you all! I’m so appreciative to be here.

Hi Melissa, MFP is a great place to start - you don't need surgery, but commitment to lose. We have a group that restarts each month - only requirement is that our starting weight was over 200. This month is called: Women 200lb+, Let's Soar This September!!! Search for that in the discussion groups, and your stats and your monthly goals - good accountability.

1. Check with your medical plan to see if they have any wellness coaching, or to visit with a nutritionist. I set up a weekly call with my EAP wellness coach for accountability and cross checking challenges.
    2. Find a substitute immediately for your pepsi - pepsi free, zero, other zero cal beverage - Fanta Zero is pretty sweet, so is Diet Dr. Pepper.
    3. Invest in pickles - low cal snacking.
    4. Substitute will be your inital goals - instead of this - that
    5. LOG everything - this will give you a sense of what you "want to do away with"; there are somethings I have switched to only ocasssionally.
    6. MOVE more - I recommend doing water jogging, but not everyone has a pool access (basically chest high water, and walk or run back and forth, do different stretches).
    7. Read ALL labels, per size....and decide, is it really worth it.
    8. Push more veggies when ever possible.
    9. Yogurt and Cottage Cheese have been helpful to me -high protein.
    10. Shrimp, steamed with bay is a go to for me as well.
    11. 6 oz Steak is max size to eat.
    12. Get a scale for measuring and measuring cups.
  • gabi_texanmom
    gabi_texanmom Posts: 201 Member
    Hi Melissa! Like other posters have said, baby steps and small changes is a great place to start. You will find lots of people you can relate to here. Best of luck on your journey!
  • aracely2224
    aracely2224 Posts: 1,070 Member
    edited September 2019
    My Condolences, MFP has helped me achieve my goals with the calorie count. I’m cheering for you!

You can do it! 🌺 Your friend Aracely
  • clmlowry
    clmlowry Posts: 1 Member
    Hi! I found that taking a few weeks lto assess food triggers really helped. I’d make note of times I had intense cravings for junk or to binge and think “why? How am I feeling? Stressed? Why?” Etc. And then addressing the emotion with something other than food ( a walk around the block, listening to my favorite song, deep breaths!) helped me control over eating. From there it was easy to recognize the triggers and avoid them or nip it in the bud before I got to the point where I wanted to over eat.

• mkmaske23
    mkmaske23 Posts: 14 Member
    You got this!
  • melissaash28
    melissaash28 Posts: 4 Member
    Thank you everyone so, so much!! I really am so appreciative of the friend adds and suggestions and encouragement! It’s been a rough year. My marriage is on the rocks, my mom and grandfather who basically raised me passed away and my son has been diagnosed with several issues that are causing him some problems so I definitely just didn’t think about or care about my weight or health! I’m going to figure it out! I just have to!!!
  • bel0wtheb3lt
    bel0wtheb3lt Posts: 2 Member
    Just keep trying to move on I would hate to see anyone else go through what i did. I gained weight and just months ago i was rushed to the hospital having 2 stents put in and still battling the aftermath of what that did to my body. I have been doing cardiac therapy and my heart is repaired. I was terrified as i have my kids (grown) and 3 grandchildren i do not want to abandon. I have lost 60 lbs so far. This app helps manage your intake and what you are eating. You just need to stick to it and don't deviate from the routine and add excercise. If i can do it you certainly can.