Fat loss verses weight loss

Curious...I attend a weight loss clinic once a month. The last weigh in I had lost 7lbs in the 41 days since my last visit. However, only 1.8 of that was fat loss and the rest 'other' which could be muscle mass and then another category they call water weight.

I was told "you can lose weight eating just low cal but it won't necessarily be fat loss unless you are in ketosis" she also said "you need to up your protein intake and eat at least 650 calories from your 1350 allotment in protein".

What is your take on the fat loss verses weight loss issue. Is that why people count macros? Should I put my body in ketosis (I did that for the first two months of the program).

I want to continue to lose. However, I want to lose fat not just "other".

Replies

• estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    You don't need to be in keto to burn fat. A significant amount of water weight is often lost in the first couple of weeks of dieting. Otherwise, your water weight will fluctuate depending on a whole rash of factors including but not limited to:
    • time of month (which is part of...)
    • hormonal fluctuations
    • injury/surgery
    • starting a new, more intense fitness regimen
    • sodium intake
    • carb levels
    • certain medications

It's temporary and it passes.

I've been Googling to see if there's any way to know which it is you're losing and I've found these links. Please understand I haven't vetted them and there could be some inaccuracies:

https://www.powerofpositivity.com/5-signs-youre-losing-weight-not-just-water-weight/
    https://www.livestrong.com/article/466485-daily-weight-gain-fluctuations-due-to-drinking-water/
    https://www.livestrong.com/article/327067-how-to-tell-if-weight-is-water-weight-or-fat-weight/

Upping your protein is a good idea for another reason: when you're losing weight, it's common to lose a combination of fat and muscle. Protein (and a lifting program) help you hang onto and strengthen your existing muscle, helping to ensure that more fat is lost.
  • Honestly this is where MFP community has been super helpful. I started with this clinic, Medi Weightloss, in May. May 1 - June 30 is when I adhered to their program requirements. I did lose 20lbs the first month. I was eating right at 1000 calories a day. 550-600 of that was protein only. So that is their regimen.

I stopped following their program and started doing my own counting. I upped my own calories up to 1350 based on their 'metabolism testing'.

Yes, the scale they use tells your specific fat loss. At least that is what they tell me.....

MFP has helped me since July to monitor my calories and such. I have lost 39lbs since May. The bulk of that coming off in the first month. That is why I toy back and forth with their information. Even though they are telling me I am doing well on my own. They also say I should be doing the program fundamentals while doing it.

• jessalittlemore
    jessalittlemore Posts: 65 Member
    Ketosis for the first few months and 20 lbs. weight loss in the first month tracks. I had around the same, it's well known that you shed a ton of water weight when you start ketosis. You can't expect that dramatic drop to continue, regardless of your weight loss plan.

I'm on low-carb because of issues with sugar and binging, and with pre-diabetic symptoms. It's definitely not the only way to lose, it's just the way I'm losing. More intelligent and well-versed people than I am can tell you the importance of macros to your overall health. For me, aside from counting my carbs, I don't pay much attention to my other macros. I've lost 54 lbs. since the end of December by focusing mainly on one thing; calories in, calories out.

Whatever these program people are telling you, I'd take it with a grain of salt. I've been yo-yo dieting for 17 years, trying to find "the secret" to weight loss. After all this time, calories in, calories out is the only thing that makes sense to me. Simple, easy to remember, no guess work, proven results.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,961 Member
    apullum wrote: »
    I would strongly recommend not going back to that "clinic." I would also report this "clinic" to the appropriate local medical board if they are claiming to be a medical clinic. What they are telling you is flat out wrong.

And report them to the appropriate agency if they are making health claims even if they're not claiming to be a medical clinic (in the U.S., that would be your state attorney general, state consumer advocate if you have one, or the FTC, although for a small local business you're more likely to get results at the state level).
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    Congratulations on your weight loss!