Love Chipotle? Try this

jessieknh
jessieknh Posts: 52 Member
I was totally craving a burrito bowl from Chipotle but it's so many calories. I found this on Pinterest and made it last night. It was delicious. I ate over cauliflower rice that I added lime to. Sooo good and not bad caloriewise at all! I had leftover for lunch today as well. This is going into my meal prep rotation!
https://togetherasfamily.com/turkey-taco-burrito-bowls/

Replies

• lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,950 Member
    I suppose if you get the sofritos at Chipotle but aren't actually a vegetarian this might seem like a good substitute.
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    I suppose if you get the sofritos at Chipotle but aren't actually a vegetarian this might seem like a good substitute.

That's more or less what I was thinking. It looks like a turkey chili served with rice.

Of course now I want Chipotle.
  • lynn_glenmont
    edited September 2019
    aokoye wrote: »

That's more or less what I was thinking. It looks like a turkey chili served with rice.

I haven't been for a while, but they're running adds ads for limited-time-only carne asada, so I'd like to try that.
  • aokoye

I haven't been for a while, but they're running adds ads for limited-time-only carne asada, so I'd like to try that.

Report back if you do. I'm intrigued. I mean I can get better carne asada I'm sure, but Chipotle is more convenient half the time. Convenient and cheaper (but the good stuff is so good. so so good).
  • lynn_glenmont

Report back if you do. I'm intrigued. I mean I can get better carne asada I'm sure, but Chipotle is more convenient half the time. Convenient and cheaper (but the good stuff is so good. so so good).

Probably won't get there until the weekend, but I'll try to remember to report back.
  • lynn_glenmont
    @aokoye
    Reporting back. Went to Chipotle and tried the carne asada. Most of the time I get a bowl with either carnitas, barabacoa, sofritas, or just veggie. I decided to get a bowl without rice and have a couple of the soft taco-size tortillas so I could try it as fajitas, since that's what the size of the pieces of meat looked appropriate for.

I really liked the seasoning/marinade. It was a little spicy, with depth and some good umami notes. I can imagine some people would consider it chewy or even tough, but I find that generally the less chew a piece of meat has, the less flavor it has, so I was good with that. I do think the pieces are a little large for and chewy for eating in a burrito or even a taco (it's going to be hard to bite through and the whole piece of meat is going to be dragged out). It was good in the tortilla fajita-style, and I liked it in the bowl when I ran out of tortillas.

I think if they had it on the menu regularly, I'd probably stick with carnitas or barbacoa most of the time, as I like the way they taste and they're easy to deal with in a burrito or in a bowl using a plastic fork, because they're shredded. But it's nice for a change of pace, especially when you know it won't always be around. (Taco Bell suckers me in on the nacho fries with that limited-time-only marketing schtick as well.)
  • missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    I guess I’m the only person that doesn’t like Chipotle. Can’t compete with the real Mexican restaurant that we’ve been going to for 30 years.
  • fitqueenbess
    fitqueenbess Posts: 372 Member
    FYI - The sodium in a "healthy" bowl will be 1000mg if you're careful and could easily exceed 2000mg. Chipotle's not your wellness partner, IMO.
  • aokoye
    I guess I’m the only person that doesn’t like Chipotle. Can’t compete with the real Mexican restaurant that we’ve been going to for 30 years.

I don't go to Chipotle if I want Mexican food, I go to Chipotle if I want Chipotle. If I want Mexican, there are a number of places that I can go, including one that is two blocks from the Chipotle I normally go to.
  • aokoye
    FYI - The sodium in a "healthy" bowl will be 1000mg if you're careful and could easily exceed 2000mg. Chipotle's not your wellness partner, IMO.

As someone who doesn't have a medical reason to watch my sodium intake, I'm ok with eating Chipotle once every three to six months (I've been to Chipotle maybe once this calendar year). I also don't think anyone here claimed that Chipotle was "healthy".
  • aokoye
    @aokoye
    Reporting back. Went to Chipotle and tried the carne asada. Most of the time I get a bowl with either carnitas, barabacoa, sofritas, or just veggie. I decided to get a bowl without rice and have a couple of the soft taco-size tortillas so I could try it as fajitas, since that's what the size of the pieces of meat looked appropriate for.

I really liked the seasoning/marinade. It was a little spicy, with depth and some good umami notes. I can imagine some people would consider it chewy or even tough, but I find that generally the less chew a piece of meat has, the less flavor it has, so I was good with that. I do think the pieces are a little large for and chewy for eating in a burrito or even a taco (it's going to be hard to bite through and the whole piece of meat is going to be dragged out). It was good in the tortilla fajita-style, and I liked it in the bowl when I ran out of tortillas.

I think if they had it on the menu regularly, I'd probably stick with carnitas or barbacoa most of the time, as I like the way they taste and they're easy to deal with in a burrito or in a bowl using a plastic fork, because they're shredded. But it's nice for a change of pace, especially when you know it won't always be around. (Taco Bell suckers me in on the nacho fries with that limited-time-only marketing schtick as well.)

Thanks for the report :) I normally get a bowl with barbacoa when I go which obviously has a completely different texture. I might stop by sometime in October to try it.
  • marksweightloss
    marksweightloss Posts: 34 Member
    I love Chipotle! I tried the carne asada and didn't think it was very good.
  • missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member

I don't go to Chipotle if I want Mexican food, I go to Chipotle if I want Chipotle. If I want Mexican, there are a number of places that I can go, including one that is two blocks from the Chipotle I normally go to.

Point taken, but they are “Chipotle Mexican Grill.” Hence the “Mexican” food association.
    No matter, I don’t like it whatever it is.