been doing stronglifts wrong all this time

2»

Replies

• fitpal02020
    fitpal02020 Posts: 193 Member
    edited September 2019
    John did you watch the videos of mehdi doing the stronglifts work out a abs workout b? If not then watch them. You don’t necessarily need a trainer at this stage.

thank u ^^
    back is good.
    So I just resumed my workout today from where I had last but I did NOT add more weights when I did barbell row and bench press since I have been lifting with the 55lbs bar anyways. I'll add weights in the next session.

I ask another front desk guy today and he said the bar is 45 lbs...well that's just confusing.

sorry whose mehdi? didn't get his videos.
  • fitpal02020
    nutmegoreo wrote: »
    John did you watch the videos of mehdi doing the stronglifts work out a abs workout b? If not then watch them. You don’t necessarily need a trainer at this stage.

For this particular OP, I think the best thing he could do is hire a trainer who is versed in weightlifting. He stated in another thread that the 10 minute videos are too long for him to learn proper form. He had managed to injure his back, and is uncertain about bars and weights. His risk of serious injury is too high without proper guidance.

how much a trainer costs? heard they are too expensive and i cant afford them given my location [toronto,ON].

my back is back to normal.
  • TrishSeren
    TrishSeren Posts: 587 Member
    edited September 2019
    Ok so I think you are getting slightly confused by the terminology.

Bar (or olympic bar)- usually weighs a standard 44lbs (most gyms will have the standard size) and looks like this, you add on weight plates to it as you need to.

hv4ic7wv925g.jpg

Barbells look like this and are a fixed weight which is usually printed on the side. You can use these in place of a bar as they usually start at weights less than an Olympic bar.
    p965cqxeifb0.jpg

Dumbells look like this and again are a fixed weight which is usually printed on the side. You use these for exercises such as dumbbell press.
    qfqnpdyoi4qx.jpg

You haven't messed up :)
  • fitpal02020
    thank you so lets see i reach a point where i have to do an OP of 100 lbs, can i just pick barbell that 100 lbs and do it or I still need to do it with olympic bar?

By the way, this is the olympic bar I am talking about that one front desk guy said is 55 lbs but then another one said is 45 lbs
    https://imgur.com/KgSosHe
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    My Y has several bars ranging from 30-47 lbs. Not every gym does a good job of clearly marking them. The only thing you need to fix is to identify the bar weight and load it to the total weight you need.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    edited September 2019
    jonmarrow wrote: »

For this particular OP, I think the best thing he could do is hire a trainer who is versed in weightlifting. He stated in another thread that the 10 minute videos are too long for him to learn proper form. He had managed to injure his back, and is uncertain about bars and weights. His risk of serious injury is too high without proper guidance.

how much a trainer costs? heard they are too expensive and i cant afford them given my location [toronto,ON].

I have a trainer for $35/hour, but I've been working with him for years and so that's a special price. I have no idea how much a trainer is in your area, but in all honesty, destroying your body is going to be way more expensive in the long run. I'm glad you are feeling better.
  • ceiswyn
    ceiswyn Posts: 2,253 Member

...wait, you ‘heard’ they are too expensive? You didn’t even check out prices for yourself? Are you serious about this or not?
  • TrishSeren
    TrishSeren Posts: 587 Member
    thank you so lets see i reach a point where i have to do an OP of 100 lbs, can i just pick barbell that 100 lbs and do it or I still need to do it with olympic bar?

By the way, this is the olympic bar I am talking about that one front desk guy said is 55 lbs but then another one said is 45 lbs

Some gyms have two types of Olympic bar sizes, just check which one you use before you load plates onto it to make sure it's the one you want.

You can do an OP with whatever works for you, so for example for me, I can't lift an Olympic bar over my head yet so I use the barbell that is less weight.

If they have a barbell that weighs 100lbs then you can use that OR you can load the Olympic bar until it weighs 100lbs. Entirely up to you and what works for you :)
  • Erik8484
    Erik8484 Posts: 458 Member
    TrishSeren wrote: »
    Ok so I think you are getting slightly confused by the terminology.

Bar (or olympic bar)- usually weighs a standard 44lbs (most gyms will have the standard size) and looks like this, you add on weight plates to it as you need to.

hv4ic7wv925g.jpg

Barbells look like this and are a fixed weight which is usually printed on the side. You can use these in place of a bar as they usually start at weights less than an Olympic bar.
    p965cqxeifb0.jpg

Dumbells look like this and again are a fixed weight which is usually printed on the side. You use these for exercises such as dumbbell press.
    qfqnpdyoi4qx.jpg

You haven't messed up :)

In my experience, what you call a bar or an olympic bar is commonly referred to, in gyms and in everyday conversation, as a barbell. Also on wikipedia.

I definitely agree that they're different from barbells with fixed weights on the ends, and we definitely need to know which one OP is talking about, and it would absolutely make sense for the different types to have different names, but in everyday conversation they're both called barbells.
  • kiela64
    kiela64 Posts: 1,447 Member
    https://www.groupon.com/local/toronto/personal-trainer

However typically gyms are proprietary and you need to pay their rates, bringing in an external one is only acceptable at budget gyms like planet fitness, or if you’re working out in a gym in your condo/apartment or something. Often there are beginner packages. Yes it’s a little expensive but it’s comparable to getting a fitness watch or buying protein supplements.

I’ve seen pretty good deals in the summer, September, and January at the gyms I go to. Heavily considered it myself but my body is not ready for strength training with weights until I resolve issues with my physiotherapist & progress with body weight exercises, so it seemed like a waste. You seem able to do this and would benefit from the coaching.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Many gyms including the one I use offer one free session with a trainer to get you started and teach you the uses of the equipment.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,843 Member

When you asked at the desk at your gym how much trainers cost, what did they tell you?
  • fitpal02020
    kshama2001 wrote: »

When you asked at the desk at your gym how much trainers cost, what did they tell you?

they dont offer training at the gym
  • fitpal02020
    TrishSeren wrote: »

Some gyms have two types of Olympic bar sizes, just check which one you use before you load plates onto it to make sure it's the one you want.

You can do an OP with whatever works for you, so for example for me, I can't lift an Olympic bar over my head yet so I use the barbell that is less weight.

If they have a barbell that weighs 100lbs then you can use that OR you can load the Olympic bar until it weighs 100lbs. Entirely up to you and what works for you :)

thank u trish! i'll follow this advice
  • Cahgetsfit
    Cahgetsfit Posts: 1,913 Member
    I've been following a few of your threads. You need to hire a trainer and learn form/equipment etc. No one is above coaching, and no one is above mistakes. I've literally pulled thousands of deadlifts in my life and I still have a bad form rep here and there...and I'm playing with serious weight so bad form is costly and usually sidlines me a couple weeks. I still ask for form critiqes on lifts almost daily.

yes. so much this. This is what I already said in your last 2 or 3 posts OP...

Just fork out the $$$$ and pay to LEARN PROPERLY how to do stuff. It's totally worth the investment and you won't be spinning your wheels in the mud...

• Cahgetsfit
    Cahgetsfit Posts: 1,913 Member
    edited September 2019

Google. Most people here aren't local to your area. GET A TRAINER.