Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Please help with this argument- Intermittent fasting related

Replies

• J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,958 Member
    My biggest personal takeaway from fasting, is, that I no longer need to go to work with a cooler bag filled with food for the day...
  • PWHF
    PWHF Posts: 221 Member
    In the 'guess your age thread' I'm being pegged as 8-12 years younger than I am. Been doing IF for 2.5 years now.
  • PWHF
    earlnabby wrote: »
    PWHF wrote: »
    In the 'guess your age thread' I'm being pegged as 8-12 years younger than I am. Been doing IF for 2.5 years now.

I am usually pegged as about 10 years younger than I am and I have never done IF. Your point?

Apparently IF slows ageing - that's the point
  • PWHF
    mbaker566 wrote: »

I am usually pegged as about 10 years younger than I am and I have never done IF. Your point?

no.
    i graze all day. i'm 37, and i've been asked recently if i'm old enough to drink.
    genes. good genes

Apparently raw vegan diets do it as well. I'm not raw vegan but I do do IF 5 days a week.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member

no.
    i graze all day. i'm 37, and i've been asked recently if i'm old enough to drink.
    genes. good genes

Apparently raw vegan diets do it as well. I'm not raw vegan but I do do IF 5 days a week.

and i do mostly meat and bakery.
    point being IF does not slow aging.
  • PWHF

no.
    genes. good genes

Do you know this for a fact?
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,257 Member

no.
    genes. good genes

Do you know this for a fact?

Does IF impact telomeres or telomerase?
  • PWHF
    lemurcat2 wrote: »

no.
    genes. good genes

So you are just asserting stuff? Cool.

Prefixed buy the word 'apparently', can post links like this one if we're doing that:

https://www.meetup.com/HealthyPlanet/messages/67357092/

https://www.nbcmiami.com/news/local/75-Year-Old-Woman-Defies-Aging-Process-With-Raw-Vegan-Diet-441035953.html
  • PWHF
    Think what you want and feel free to not do IF or anything else you don't believe in. Interesting that the anti-IF crowd are so bothered by it. If you don't believe in it why do you care so much about it?
  • betsymoomoo
    betsymoomoo Posts: 71 Member
    I did intermittent fasting for a while and I may do it again. I used it as a way to break my food addiction. It's harder to eat as much in a smaller window and it also made me obsess less about food when I knew exactly what time my next meal was.

Aside from that I don't know the benefits.
  • PWHF
    Annie_01 wrote: »

IMO...for what it's worth...exercise will do more for slowing down the aging process than eating within a certain window. Combine that with a healthy diet that is appropriate for what you are trying to accomplish then that will assist in hopefully aid in slowing down that aging process.

For me...and I speak only for me...it is not about looking younger it is about feeling younger and being able to stay mobile as I age. Then there is that "bucket list" that I still want to accomplish.

I do IF/TRE/SkipBreakfast/Whateveryouwanttocallit. It fits my lifestyle and has helped me get to where I want to be. I am under no illusions though that it is some mystic way of eating that will make me look 20 years younger...I am 67 and I own every wrinkle that I have.

I didn't start doing it for anti-aging reasons either I did it to burn as much fat as possible (Leangains). The fact that people regularly tell me I look a lot younger than I am I credit to IF seeing as there is research saying that it does that. maybe it doesn't and maybe it's the lifting - or a combination of both. I don't really care as long as it works.

The fact that the notion of IF having any benefits at all appears to be upsetting people is interesting though... If you know what works for you why care so much about what other people are doing?