Resistant starch in baked products

If resistant starch is made by heating and then cooling does it mean that foodstuffs like bread, biscuits or pastry have high resistant starch content because they have been baked for some time in an oven and then cooled before eating?

Replies

• LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,964 Member
    edited September 2019
    I agree with the reference to potatoes and rice and also with the food being refrigerated.

We could only pray that it would apply to cupcakes and garlic bread. 🙇
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Biscuits and pastry have a good amount of fat in the calorie count. Resistant starch or not that doesn't change.
  • JenniferM1234
    JenniferM1234 Posts: 173 Member
    Hmmm...@mamapags I'm paying more attention to keeping my carbs low than my fats, as I am a carboholic (eating steak or bacon never led me to fall off the wagon like a slice of pizza or even a bowl of granola can). So I'd be interested in how to make tasty carbs more resistant no matter the fat content. :D
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Starches are more complex than glucose, sucrose, fructose, galactose, etc. Starches are also more complex than the simple carbs found the refined flour used in baked goods. Some gluten-free baked goods are made with rice and these items might become RS after 12 hours of refrigeration, but I've never seen any published evidence for that.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Slice of pizza has as much fat as carbs, typically.

Granola, maybe not (I'm weird and have only ever cared about this paleo granola that was high fat and super easy to overeat, since it had nuts in it).

I believe the point was that most of the high cal easy to overeat "carbs" are really as much or more fat as carb, so the term "carbs" is a misnomer.

Anyway, I seriously doubt you can discount the calories from carbs in baked goods (I don't do it from previously cooked and then chilled rice or potatoes either).
  • ben_chartres
    ben_chartres Posts: 2 Member
    Thank you for the helpful responses. I am type 2 diabetes. Keeping control of my carb intake is relatively easy by portion control and spacing. However, this technique makes it difficult to maintain a good fibre intake using ordinary foods because most fibre sources come coupled with carbs. What I was hoping to do is to increase the amount of fibre without moving away from familiar foodstuffs or adding exotic items. I had hoped that a good proportion of baked starches were automatically resistant but it looks like I will have go to "plan B."
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Thank you for the helpful responses. I am type 2 diabetes. Keeping control of my carb intake is relatively easy by portion control and spacing. However, this technique makes it difficult to maintain a good fibre intake using ordinary foods because most fibre sources come coupled with carbs. What I was hoping to do is to increase the amount of fibre without moving away from familiar foodstuffs or adding exotic items. I had hoped that a good proportion of baked starches were automatically resistant but it looks like I will have go to "plan B."

Higher fiber carbs are the ones that you usually don't have to limit so much, however, especially if you are eating them (a reasonable amount) in combination with other foods.

Vegetables, some fruit (avocados, raspberries, for example), beans and lentils are all good fiber sources, as are (to some extent) nuts and seeds and some whole grains. All pretty ordinary! ;-)
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    If resistant starch is made by heating and then cooling does it mean that foodstuffs like bread, biscuits or pastry have high resistant starch content because they have been baked for some time in an oven and then cooled before eating?

I know for sure that there is a huge amount of starch in baking, and precisely because of this, everything flour is so high-calorie. In general, a few months ago I didn’t even think that someday I would have to start cooking myself. The thing is that I decided to live separately from my parents and now I have to cook on my own because I can not constantly order sushi and pizza. You won’t believe what I recently spent two hours ... I read the reviews and looked for the best whisks for baking. It was very strange, but in the end I ordered a silicone model from Amazon and I hope that it somehow makes my life easier :))

Not always. Baking tends to have the trifecta: flour, sugar/other sweeteners and fat. I have one of my old low-fat cookbooks from the 90s still and find that a lot of the desserts come in at low cal due to various "hacks", like
    • Less oil, more applesauce
    • Less brown/white sugar, more fruit (fresh or dried)
    • Egg whites instead of whole eggs
    • Not really a calorie hack, but a fiber boost, using a blend of all-purpose white and whole wheat flours
    • And yes, also flourless desserts, like compotes and fruits cooked in syrup. Sparser toppings on fruit crisps.

So, there are recipes like Applesauce Gingerbread:

6shiembexvjm.png

and Maple Apple Cake:

epgds3dskq5y.png

that I'd consider low-calorie, even if they do have flour.

Of course, the other hack is to have smaller servings...
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,602 Member
    I remember reading somewhere that to increase the resistant starch content in bread, you need to freeze the loaf and then toast from frozen.