walking with ankle weights

When I was 8, I played a stupid game with someone that ended up with me having a dislocated hip. Three months of immobility later, I was given a clean bill of health and sent on my way. No physical therapy, they didnt do that kind of stuff back in the 70's. Fast forward to 2019 and at 53, my hip started killing me and was suggested to me that my ligaments may not be as tight as they should be due to the injury. I happened on some ankle weights and tried them out for a day and had instant relief from the pain. i am walking a mile every night and just wore the ankle weights tonight. Less pain in the hip, more burn in the muscles, so my question after all this, does this count as strength training? ANy tips/advice? Thanks in advance

Replies

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,966 Member
    It may build a little strength at first, but it counts as walking. It may burn a truly tiny number of extra calories (as if you weighed that much more), but the difference is small. If it eliminates your pain and lets you walk, that's a good value in itself! :)

Best wishes!
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    No, it does not count as strength training. Log it as cardio, walking x mph.
  • geraldaltman
    geraldaltman Posts: 1,739 Member
    edited October 2019
    Go to an orthopedic and get hip issues ruled in or ruled out! For years I had diminished mobility due to deteriorating hips that I went way too long without getting checked out. Once I finally decided enough! and went to surgeon; hip replacements were ruled in. I consider my getting them earlier this year simply life changing!!
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,249 Member
    Cherimoose wrote: »
    shivasgirl wrote: »
    I happened on some ankle weights and tried them out for a day and had instant relief from the pain.

You might have changed your gait because of them, in which case your gait may have been the problem, not a lack of strength. Try to get assessed by a sports physical therapist or sports doctor. At the very least, video yourself walking on a treadmill, with the camera behind you, and compare with & without the weights.

^^^ This. If your hip hurts walking a mile see a professional who can properly diagnose the cause and offer treatment options.