Post your favorite vegetable side recipes!

jessieleah
jessieleah Posts: 204 Member
I need to eat more vegetables. I buy them at the store.. and then never eat them. I'm basically like a 5 year old child in the body of a 30 year old woman. I know I need to eat them, but when the time comes, I get lazy and don't bother cooking them because I know I don't want them anyway.

Sometimes I'll roast them and it's okay, but never something I'm thrilled about. Sometimes I'll just get the "steam in the bag" broccoli and pop it in the microwave, then add some salt and pepper, and while it's super fast and easy, I find it very boring and blah.

So give me your favorite recipes! Bonus points if they're super easy.

Replies

• jessieleah
    jessieleah Posts: 204 Member
    That honestly sounds really good! & I do actually like edamame, so the picture you posted looks like something I'd eat willingly! haha
  • puffbrat
    puffbrat Posts: 2,806 Member
    I personally do best with vegetables when they are incorporated into the main item such as sauces, pastas, stir fry, soup, etc.
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,594 Member
    If you are bored by broccoli on its own, try stir frying Chinese style with a little sliced beef. Slice a steak thinly against the grain and douse in cornstarch. Add a pinch of salt. In a good non stick pan fry off the beef until almost cooked in 2 tablespoons vegetable oil. Remove beef from the pan, leaving in the oil. Fry off a clove or two of chopped garlic and a cubic inch of finely diced ginger until fragrant. Toss in a cup of chopped broccoli. Add a quarter cup each of water and soy sauce to prevent the garlic from burning. Add a tablespoon of brown sugar. Return the beef into the pan to warm through in the sauce. Serve with boiled rice.

In general, Chinese stir fries mixing meat with veg is a good way to stretch meat and eat more veg. One steak in the above recipe feeds two adults. Google chicken and snow pea stir fry, szechuan green beans and ground pork for more ideas.
  • acpgee
    If you haven't done Chinese stir fries before, cooking is very quick. So prep, chop and measure everything out before you start to stir fry.
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    Soup weather is coming up. Beef vegetable with YOUR favorite veg. I like it with lots of onion and garlic to start.
  • acpgee
  • lilann1961
    lilann1961 Posts: 131 Member
    This one is one of our go-tos. We buy frozen artichoke hearts (Private Selection if you live near a Kroger). You can add a bit of parmesan cheese for even more flavor, but it is great with just garlic, lemon juice, salt/pepper and olive oil.
    https://everydaydishes.com/simple-food-recipes/roasted-artichoke-hearts/
  • Love_2_Hike
    Love_2_Hike Posts: 103 Member
    You don't always need to incorporate them into a cooked dinner. I love cutting veggie sticks and having with dip, a heaping of salad in a sandwich or wrap, making a raw salad, cucumber and tomato on rice thins. Roasting veggies in the airfryer, making veggie 'chips'.
    Pre-prepping veggies in the fridge are good, wash, peel, cut and dice. Put them in containers at eye level in the fridge, that way you prep once and eat all week.
  • acpgee
    lilann1961 wrote: »
    This one is one of our go-tos. We buy frozen artichoke hearts (Private Selection if you live near a Kroger). You can add a bit of parmesan cheese for even more flavor, but it is great with just garlic, lemon juice, salt/pepper and olive oil.
    https://everydaydishes.com/simple-food-recipes/roasted-artichoke-hearts/

I wish we could frozen artichoke hearts in the UK. Apparently only common in the US.
  • AustinRuadhain
    AustinRuadhain Posts: 2,572 Member
    A go-to recipe at our house is spinach cauliflower mash. Steam a bag of each in the microwave oven, then use an immersion blender, potato masher etc. to mash to the consistency of mashed potatoes. Spice to taste. You could do this with just cauliflower, if the green color sounds too challenging.

Roasted vegetables of all kinds work well and are easy to cook. Spray a baking p[an with oil and put in similarly sized chunks of root veggies like carrots, sweet potatoes, turnip, parsnip, beet, plus chunks of onion. Toss with a little oliv oil and rosemary if desired. Roast at around 375F until the chunks are tender when tested with a fork.

A couple of favorite dishes of ours that features great roasted veggies are: https://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/potato_hash_with_tomato_35594
    https://www.splendidtable.org/recipes/one-pan-roasted-salmon-with-broccoli-and-red-potatoes

• LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,964 Member
    The simpler, the better.

My favorite is steamed sugar snap peas with butter, salt, pepper.

Roasted veggies with salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder and olive oil.

Steamed brocolli with butter, salt, pepper.

Sautéed asparagus with olive oil, salt, pepper and lemon juice.

• runningjen74
    runningjen74 Posts: 312 Member
    Griddled veg with a splash of soya. so asparagus, onion, peppers, courgette (zucchini), Aubergine(egg plant), etc.. I slice them in to strips or rounds, and stick them on the griddle till there are nice striations.

Roasted root veg - cut mix of veg in to similar sized pieces, so about 2cm. Par boil. Heat up a table spoon of oil, 1-2 teaspoons of honey, and maybe a splash of soya and toss the veg in this mixture, then roast for 45min or till nicely glazed. I'd usually add some dried herbs - typically italian mixture. I use onion (I don't par-boil this), parsnip, carrots, beetroot, turnip, etc...
  • coppertop_4
    coppertop_4 Posts: 258 Member
    I like to roast a pan of whatever veggies were on sale at the store (broccoli, onion, bell pepper, mushrooms, cauliflower, carrots etc) I eat them roasted with olive oil and spices but the leftovers I blend in my nutri-bullet and heat up as a soup! :) Sprinkle cheese or sour cream and green onions as a topping.
  • ElizabethKalmbach
    ElizabethKalmbach Posts: 1,416 Member
    Sauteed green beans with a tbsp of the House of Tsang Stirfry Szechuan Spicy sauce on them are really, surprisingly, disturbingly good. Like, I can just eat a bowl of green beans as a snack, good. The sauce really *is* spicy, though, so approach with caution.