Raw weight or cooked weight

Hi, I have been tracking my food for a while now but its only just occurred to me now. When weighting your meat, do you take the weight from its raw state or cooked state? Tonight there was a difference of 100g between the two.
Thank you.

Replies

• RelCanonical
    RelCanonical Posts: 3,882 Member
    You just want to make sure that you are selecting the correctly entry - raw or cooked. Generally, because cooking times vary and that can affect weight, raw is most accurate.
  • wilson10102018
    wilson10102018 Posts: 1,306 Member
    Hi, I have been tracking my food for a while now but its only just occurred to me now. When weighting your meat, do you take the weight from its raw state or cooked state? Tonight there was a difference of 100g between the two.
    Thank you.

If you are eating everything you weigh then you can weigh raw. But, if you are cooking meat and not drinking the fat out of the pan, you have to weigh it cooked. And as stated above, be sure you are using the right entry for the weight - cooked or raw.

And, pasta is always weighed raw.
  • anubis609
    anubis609 Posts: 3,966 Member
    Either, as long as it's consistent. Cooking for yourself you can choose to weigh raw. At a restaurant, just enjoy what they serve and guess as best you can, though most menus will state the approximate weight of the cut they serve, obviously cooked.
  • LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,964 Member
    Most of my meat is seafood. I weigh it raw. I weigh everything raw.

My reasoning for doing this actually has nothing to do with calories.

I do it because I enjoy cooking and plating the end result. I don't want to ruin that enjoyment by having to toss something on the scale. So, I weigh, do my mise en place, cook, plate and enjoy.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    edited September 2019
    I weigh my meat raw. I usually buy lean meat so very little fat gets cooked out. When doing stews and casseroles the entire thing stays in the dish so raw is the only way to weigh it. If I am eating something with a bone, I still weigh raw then weigh the bone and any fat I cut off and subtract from the total after eating what I want.