Tracking food when eating out

Looking for suggestions to help me track meals when eating out which I do 99% of the time. It seems more and more places have nutrition guides but some do not but I go there for other reasons - friends, ambiance, menu, etc. so I will continue to go to these places. Looking for ideas as to how I can still track even when there is no nutrition guide

Replies

• LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,964 Member
    I break down a meal into components and log accordingly.
  • RovP6
    RovP6 Posts: 108 Member
    LyndaBSS wrote: »

That's what I do and then add 20% to the total calories.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,959 Member

This is what I do as well. I'm guessing it's harder for someone who eats out almost all the time, because they don't have experience cooking and weighing at home to be able to make good guesses about the components and quantities in a dish.
  • surfbug808
    surfbug808 Posts: 251 Member
    RovP6 wrote: »

That's what I do and then add 20% to the total calories.

I break the meal down to it's components as well. I don't necessarily add exactly 20% to the total calories, but since I would rather overestimate than underestimate the calories (since it appears underestimating is a more common mistake), and there are likely hidden ingredients, I tend towards the higher estimates for everything, including sauces etc. I cook a lot so I don't need to resort to this often, and my estimates seem to be okay since I am still able to lose weight and remain at a desirable deficit.
  • How come you eat out so much? Do you not have access to a kitchen? I round find weight loss really hard if I wasn’t eating st home most of he time
  • nighthawk584
    nighthawk584 Posts: 1,992 Member
    edited September 2019
    99% of the time? WOW! I've eaten out 3 times since I started in April. No way I could be successful at weight loss eating out so much.... But to answer your question, I would find a similar chain restaurant and use their figures on same type of meal if your restaurant doesn't show nutritional info.
  • Gisel2015
    Gisel2015 Posts: 4,135 Member
    I don't' bother tracking or logging while eating out unless the restaurant has nutritional information. But I don't eat out 99% of the time either unless I am on vacation.
  • koalathebear
    koalathebear Posts: 236 Member
    I check out menus ahead of time and if they have a nutrition guide, I use those. Otherwise I just enter it into MFP and come up with the closest approximation - and usually select the item with the highest calorie count to be safe. It's worked fine for me thusfar.
  • wannabeskinnycat
    wannabeskinnycat Posts: 205 Member
    Looking for suggestions to help me track meals when eating out which I do 99% of the time. It seems more and more places have nutrition guides but some do not but I go there for other reasons - friends, ambiance, menu, etc. so I will continue to go to these places. Looking for ideas as to how I can still track even when there is no nutrition guide

I've just googled 'restaurant calorie chart' and found this:

https://www.nutritionix.com/brands/restaurant

There's thousands of restaurants and food brands there so hopefully you'll find what you need. If you're serious about tracking calories, take a set of mini scales and ask for another plate so you can weigh (not my choice but I cook 99% of the time). If not, you'll have to break the meal down like others have said. Check out standard serving sizes for things and eyeball.

I had a quick look at Papa John's and thought wow 320 for a pizza - click on the item to get info for more than 1 slice :smiley:

Good luck

• kimberlymacg
    kimberlymacg Posts: 5 Member
    I track ingredients separately. I also avoid items that I know are total fat, sodium, and calorie bombs as much as possible. I avoid chain restaurants but do use their nutrition data as a reference sometimes.
  • LittleLightShine
    LittleLightShine Posts: 123 Member
    Same for me. Break down ingredients and add 20%. As I've gotten more serious about losing weight, I've tried to avoid places where I'm unsure of the calorie count. Things as simple as salad dressing can be so much. Even "healthy" places like True Food Kitchen have high calorie foods. When I'm traveling or going out to a place I love with friends, I practice OMAD to be safe. I'll be back to a regular routine and have more dining options when I'm in maintenance!! Will be worth the wait!
  • cbihatt
    cbihatt Posts: 319 Member
    If it is a place that you go frequently, you might ask the staff if they have the nutrition info. Just because it isn’t written on the menu doesn’t mean they don’t have the info available.

I also second the idea of using a similar entry from another restaurant. I have done this on occasion and it seems to be as good a way as any if you are estimating calories, anyway.
  • Melwillbehealthy
    Melwillbehealthy Posts: 880 Member
    I’ve been eating out 100% of the time since May. I count calories as best I can. Somehow it’s working and I’ve lost a fair bit of weight. I don’t have a kitchen.
  • Lobsterboxtops
    Lobsterboxtops Posts: 92 Member
    It’s hard. I travel for work so it’s not unheard of to eat out for every meal. Generally speaking I try to find an equivalent meal in the database and then choose the highest calorie one to log. I figure if I’m going to estimate it’s better to overestimate the calories than to underestimate them. I also don’t usually eat the full meal, so I figure that helps keep the calorie tracking on the high side.

There’s a local restaurant that I go to for brunch one or twice a month. They don’t have calories listed, but I’ll be damned if I stop eating there. I just figure it’s going to be a 1500 calorie meal and work it into my plan.