Does anyone actually like Angel Food Cake?

Just my totally biased opinion, but angel food cake is a sad excuse for a dessert. Does anyone actually enjoy it?

Replies

• maureenkhilde
    maureenkhilde Posts: 850 Member
    I like it. But not store bought that stuff is icky, has a weird aftertaste to me. So I admit that I will buy the box mix and whip one up. And sometimes around the holidays actually make one from scratch. But also normally serve with berries and a bit of whipped cream. I never ever use frosting or icing on an angel food cake.
  • smithsusan961
    smithsusan961 Posts: 64 Member
    LOVE IT
  • PaperDoll_
    PaperDoll_ Posts: 32,841 Member
    I love it.
  • ktekc
    ktekc Posts: 879 Member
    I can't eat it. It is one of the two things I have found (the other being mangoes) that just the smell of makes me vomit.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Scratch has a much better texture than any box or store bought. Fresh egg whites vs. egg white powder, they are not the same. Add a little almond extract, yummy.
  • Katmary71
    Katmary71 Posts: 6,482 Member
    sardelsa wrote: »
    With fresh whipped cream and strawberries, it's delicious

This! I wouldn't pick it over chocolate or carrot but really like it with strawberries and whipped cream.
  • LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,970 Member
    Love it, plain or with lemon curd and cool whip. Yum!
  • pancakerunner
    pancakerunner Posts: 6,137 Member
    Oh, I agree that it's good with moist toppings... pudding, warm berries, pie filling, etc. I just think it is so lifeless!
  • BarbaraHelen2013
    BarbaraHelen2013 Posts: 1,940 Member
    I’ve never had it, don’t know if it’s really a ‘thing’ in the UK or at least in the same form as in the US. We have Angel Cake 🍰 , which is usually a striped layer cake in the same flavour/colours as Neapolitan Ice Cream; chocolate, vanilla and strawberry.

I have thought of trying to make it though, at various times but have hesitated because I have no idea whether a recipe looks legit or not since I don’t know what I’m aiming for! I imagine it being a very light, very close textured thing, like a Genoese Sponge but with less flavour?
  • wilson10102018
    wilson10102018 Posts: 1,306 Member
    Angelfood cake is delicious when presented with copious amounts of dense sugar frosting. Think of it as a vehicle for eating the frosting.
  • lx1x
    lx1x Posts: 38,308 Member
    They are ok.. not my fav nor dislike.
  • SuzySunshine99
    SuzySunshine99 Posts: 2,983 Member
    Not my favorite, but I’ll eat it if that’s what is served. It’s much better with lots of stuff on it...berries, whipped cream, chocolate sauce.
  • skelterhelter
    skelterhelter Posts: 803 Member
    I like it, but yeah, not my first choice in cake :) I love it with a lot of fruit and whipped cream.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,971 Member
    I like it when I eat it, which is not often