finding difficult to Over head press

Replies

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,843 Member
    threewins wrote: »
    wiigelec wrote: »
    threewins wrote: »
    You graph your lifting weight and then create an exponential tend line which has a form of A(1-e^(Bt)). You want Excel to predict A which is your lifetime maximum lifting weight.
    I think you mean a logarithmic trend line which approaches a limit as time approaches infinity, whereas an exponential trend line approaches infinity as time approaches a limit...

https://www.explainxkcd.com/wiki/index.php/2048:_Curve-Fitting

I forgot to add the negative before B, but the logarithmic of infinity is infinity, whereas e^(-Bt) is zero. Logarithmic will never reach a constant.

Why is there a flag on this?

Either way, I'm not all this math (which is great BTW) is beneficial for what our OP wants. What the OP needs is patience.

When I see posts that IMO use the flags incorrectly, I Flag > Report > Other and add a note such as "Misflagged for Abuse" so the mods can take a look and judge for themselves.
  • oedipuss
    oedipuss Posts: 51 Member
    OP, if you want biceps, I would recommend the following:

1. Continue on strong lifts
    2. Have patience
    3. Continue on strong lifts
    4. Have patience
    5. After a time longer than you think, when your dead lift approaches 300+ for reps (you are about the same size as me, but I'm 25 years older and 20 pounds heavier), so I know over time it will get there, add chin-ups to your routine. If you can't do them, start with either lat pull downs or a chin up "machine" that has an assistance component and work your assistance weight down. You'll get all the benefits of a curl, but you'll augment strength in your core, your back, and your shoulders.
    6. Have patience.

If you want your overhead press to improve, see above.

I think most folks who do programs like this - or similar will agree that the OHP is the slowest mover of the lifts. For me, it was always the one that stalled first and most often, that I would need to take a step back every once in a while and go ahead. It is a movement whose form is very important. Most people trip up when they do not engage their entire kinetic chain in the movement. You have to tighten everything for this lift to give the most benefit - and for your growth in it to be the most steady.

To give you an idea, my reps went up pretty steadily until I reached about 105 pounds. I failed the reps on that for 3 straight sessions. Then went back to 85 and worked back up. Passed 105 and stalled again at 120. Backed off to 100 or so, and worked back up. Lather, rinse, repeat. Now, about 1.5 years later, was repping close to 160 for 5 (before a recent car accident - which has sent back down to about 125). It is a process.

Remember that failing reps is a normal part of your progression at times. Follow what the program says about this.

This is going to take time. It takes consistent, regular work.

Have patience.

This is a really good post.

When you stall the saying "take two steps back to make one step forward". .....is the truth! :)
  • fitpal02020
    fitpal02020 Posts: 193 Member
    jonmarrow wrote: »
    amazing, i am getting the best sleep of my life and i eat good healthy nutritious food
    it would be more helpful if you could be a little more specific: number of hours sleep per night average, daily calories and macro breakdown and examples of some foods you eat each day.

Also what would be very helpful is a video of your press session to help identify any form issues. It could also be that what you think is hard is indeed not and you just need to learn how to move heavier weights, which is also easy to identify in a video via bar speed...

i already have a bad rep on this forum, cant share any videos publicly unless you are some well know instagram trainer who i could trust to give me good advice then sure i could DM you
  • fitpal02020
    denjan333 wrote: »
    When I did this program the OHP was my lowest weight lift as well and took the longest to see progress. I think that’s normal because the muscles in your neck and shoulders are considerably smaller than your legs and back.

Building muscle takes time, and eating at a surplus (unless you’re really new to lifting). My oldest son is 28, tall and thin, and he has to pretty much eat everything in sight and work really hard to put on muscle.
    thanks. but im trying to loose weight so dunno if thats whats causing me difficulty with OHP
  • fitpal02020
    OP, if you want biceps, I would recommend the following:

1. Continue on strong lifts
    2. Have patience
    3. Continue on strong lifts
    4. Have patience
    5. After a time longer than you think, when your dead lift approaches 300+ for reps (you are about the same size as me, but I'm 25 years older and 20 pounds heavier), so I know over time it will get there, add chin-ups to your routine. If you can't do them, start with either lat pull downs or a chin up "machine" that has an assistance component and work your assistance weight down. You'll get all the benefits of a curl, but you'll augment strength in your core, your back, and your shoulders.
    6. Have patience.

If you want your overhead press to improve, see above.

I think most folks who do programs like this - or similar will agree that the OHP is the slowest mover of the lifts. For me, it was always the one that stalled first and most often, that I would need to take a step back every once in a while and go ahead. It is a movement whose form is very important. Most people trip up when they do not engage their entire kinetic chain in the movement. You have to tighten everything for this lift to give the most benefit - and for your growth in it to be the most steady.

To give you an idea, my reps went up pretty steadily until I reached about 105 pounds. I failed the reps on that for 3 straight sessions. Then went back to 85 and worked back up. Passed 105 and stalled again at 120. Backed off to 100 or so, and worked back up. Lather, rinse, repeat. Now, about 1.5 years later, was repping close to 160 for 5 (before a recent car accident - which has sent back down to about 125). It is a process.

Remember that failing reps is a normal part of your progression at times. Follow what the program says about this.

This is going to take time. It takes consistent, regular work.

Have patience.

I cant have patience when i look at people like this guy https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qZ0n3N59VnM
    who have a solid physique by doing more or less the same exercises I was doing in my original routine but now I only have to stick to 3 exercises for god knows how long and no guarantee when i will see big forearms and big biceps but other people can hit the gym do all sorts of exercises and get a fit physique!

Why do I have to stick to such a boring routine? life is not fair.
  • SCoil123
    SCoil123 Posts: 2,108 Member
    Having done strong lifts I think it’s a great program. Depending on the version it will graph your progress for you. You can also adjust how many reps per set you are doing in the app. When I started OHP I was using just the bar - and that was heavy for my at 45lb. I actually did the bar for everything all 3 workouts of week one as a baseline. After a year my max was at 75lb, and 65lb was what I could do 5x5 of with good form. It progressed much slower than the other lifts for me as well.

I’m not lifting now and have had to take nearly a year off but it is the program I’ll use when I start again. It’s a good program. Just follow it and trust the process.

The app will even tell you that failure is part of the process and it will not increase weight until you can complete the 5x5 at the given weight.
  • fitpal02020
    Comparing yourself to other people is a dead end endeavor there is always somebody who is better without putting in the effort you have.

The only thing that matters is continuously making a legitimate attempt to be better than you were yesterday.

If you don’t have the patience required to build a base of strength in the squat, bench, press, and deadlift then you will also not have the discipline required to achieve your goals.

Which is ok, like I said this is not for everybody...

which I am doing. I just think this program is a bit too basic for me. I mean I am not at the beginner stage or just starting to hit. I think I can do more than 1 rep of deadlift in a set. I need a modified program.
    This strong lift program is like for beginners who probably have never hit the gym. I have been hitting the gym for over 10 years.
  • wiigelec
    wiigelec Posts: 503 Member
    edited September 2019
    jonmarrow wrote: »
    which I am doing. I just think this program is a bit too basic for me. I mean I am not at the beginner stage or just starting to hit. I think I can do more than 1 rep of deadlift in a set. I need a modified program.
    This strong lift program is like for beginners who probably have never hit the gym. I have been hitting the gym for over 10 years.

Would you be so kind as to provide your training log for the entire time you have been running strong lifts 5x5?

For example:

W1
    D1
    Squat 5 x 5 x 115
    Bench 5 x 5 x 95
    Deadlift 1 x 5 x 135

D2
    Squat 5 x 5 x 120
    Press 5 x 5 x 55
    Row 5 x 5 x 105

D3
    Squat 5 x 5 x 125
    Bench 5 x 5 x 100
    Deadlift 1 x 5 x 145

W2
    D1
    Squat 5 x 5 x 130
    Press 5 x 5 x 60
    Row 1 x 5 x 110

D2
    Squat 5 x 5 x 135
    Bench 5 x 5 x 105
    Deadlift 1 x 5 x 155

D3
    Squat 5 x 5 x 140
    Press 5 x 5 x 65
    Row 1 x 5 x 115

etc...

Thanks
  • wiigelec
    wiigelec Posts: 503 Member
    Your response to the below will also help assist in your success...
    it would be more helpful if you could be a little more specific: number of hours sleep per night average, daily calories and macro breakdown and examples of some foods you eat each day.

• Theoldguy1
    Theoldguy1 Posts: 2,427 Member
    Many people have poor shoulder mobility/flexibility due to injuries, poor postuee or other reasons. Search for basic sceeens you can do to check shoulder movement patterns.

There are some simple tests in this arricle. More if you Google

https://www.t-nation.com/training/30-days-of-shoulders-1-10
This discussion has been closed.