Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Is it unhealthy to drink one latte a day?

13»

Replies

• Hollis100
    Hollis100 Posts: 1,408 Member
    edited September 2019
    I recently got myself into starbucks because I've always loved the taste and smell of coffee, but I like to avoid caffeine due to it's effects on anxiety and heart palpitations, so I started ordering tall decaf lattes and have one almost every day. I use almond or coconut milk and don't usually add any sweeteners to it. Would this be considered unhealthy? Should I cut down my consumption?

You talked about caffeine's effects on anxiety and heart palpitations, and asked if a tall decaf latte would be unhealthy. I believe even decaf coffee has some small amount of caffeine. Whether that amount of caffeine is healthy or not would depend on how sensitive you are.

A couple of years ago, I ended up in the emergency room twice in two weeks due to caffeine from coffee (it made my blood pressure go sky high), so I gave up coffee. A cup a day probably wouldn't hurt me, but I tend to overdrink it. Only you can tell about your tolerance. Checking your heart rate would be one way to tell. Good luck.

Edited to add this link: https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/caffeine-in-decaf#bottom-line

This article lists the caffeine in decaf Starbucks coffee. Only you can tell if it bothers you. If not, enjoy your drink!
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,978 Member

Unsolicited comment, I know, but I'd be more concerned about spending roughly $1,000 per year on Starbucks (assuming they're about three dollars per day). For me that's an extra mortgage payment.

I'd be more concerned about the time it would take me to get to nearest Starbucks every day and the carbon footprint of my cars petrol to do so.
    For me that's an hours drive each way.

Oops, totally irelevant to OP's question. :o;):*