Does anyone actually like Angel Food Cake?

Replies

• earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    I am not a big fan but when I do make it I make it from scratch. My grandmother was famous for her Angel Food and I use her recipe. When I make it, I think of her beating all those egg whites by hand since they didn't get electricity until sometime in the late 1930's. I am thankful for my Kitchenaid.

My favorite cake to make with Angle food is a cake Grandma used to make with chocolate whipped cream.

Make an Angel Food cake and cool

Beat together until stiff:
    1 teaspoon Vanilla
    3 cups Whipping Cream
    1 1/2 cups Powdered Sugar
    3/4 cup Cocoa
    1/4 teaspoon Salt

Cut off the top 1" of the cake and scoop out the insides so you have a tunnel with 1" of cake on all sides. Fill the tunnel with the cream, put the top back on, and frost with the remaining cream. Decorate with raspberries or slivered almonds.
  • missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    I’ve never had it, don’t know if it’s really a ‘thing’ in the UK or at least in the same form as in the US. We have Angel Cake 🍰 , which is usually a striped layer cake in the same flavour/colours as Neapolitan Ice Cream; chocolate, vanilla and strawberry.

I have thought of trying to make it though, at various times but have hesitated because I have no idea whether a recipe looks legit or not since I don’t know what I’m aiming for! I imagine it being a very light, very close textured thing, like a Genoese Sponge but with less flavour?

Many seasons ago on The Great British Baking Show, the technical challenge was an angel food cake. None of the contestants knew what it was. It really surprised me, as it’s very common in the US. Growing up, we had it frequently, especially with mascerated strawberries and real whipped cream. Plain with no toppings, it has lower calories than other cake.

Nowadays, I am not much of a cake eater. It’s one food that I don’t miss and I can easily resist.
  • nighthawk584
    nighthawk584 Posts: 1,979 Member
    yes, with strawberries, whipped cream and chocolate drizzled on it ;)
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    I’ve never had it, don’t know if it’s really a ‘thing’ in the UK or at least in the same form as in the US. We have Angel Cake 🍰 , which is usually a striped layer cake in the same flavour/colours as Neapolitan Ice Cream; chocolate, vanilla and strawberry.

I have thought of trying to make it though, at various times but have hesitated because I have no idea whether a recipe looks legit or not since I don’t know what I’m aiming for! I imagine it being a very light, very close textured thing, like a Genoese Sponge but with less flavour?

Do you have divinity or meringues? (Crisp cookies) What about floating islands? Or the meringue on lemon meringue pie? The flavor is more related to these things.

• estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,285 Member
    Depends. I use an angel food cake mix for a bread pudding variation, using cake cubes in place of bread. And this?

http://www.eatingwell.com/recipe/267338/citrus-angel-cake-with-peach-and-plum-salsa/ Is absolutely amazing with or without the salsa. (The orange zest makes all the difference!)
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,843 Member
    edited September 2019
    Angelfood cake is delicious when presented with copious amounts of dense sugar frosting. Think of it as a vehicle for eating the frosting.

Yes, I popped in to say the same - it's a vehicle for the toppings. I'd use fruit and (real) whipped cream however. The grilled peaches above sound heavenly.

I have some peaches that are perfectly ripe and looked up my Joy of Cooking angel cake recipe, but see it calls for 11 egg whites, and I don't feel like sacrificing that many eggs. I very much doubt boxed mix uses 11 whites. (Or real vanilla/almond extract.)

Anyone use Egg Beaters for angel cakes?
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,843 Member
    edited September 2019
    Depends. I use an angel food cake mix for a bread pudding variation, using cake cubes in place of bread. And this?

http://www.eatingwell.com/recipe/267338/citrus-angel-cake-with-peach-and-plum-salsa/ Is absolutely amazing with or without the salsa. (The orange zest makes all the difference!)

That salsa looks yum!

I decided to skip the cake and slow cook my peaches with OJ and almond extract (instead of the cinnamon):
    https://simple-nourished-living.com/slow-cooker-peaches/

These amaretto peaches would be amazing on angel cake: https://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/slow-cooker-amaretto-poached-peaches
  • cheriej2042
    cheriej2042 Posts: 241 Member
    I love it but my mom used to make it and she’s gone now. My dad liked it too. It’s so light and you can frost it with a thin layer of American buttercream. 😋
  • healingnurtrer
    healingnurtrer Posts: 217 Member
    I love it- it always makes me think of a happy childhood birthday. So a sentimental reason but I also think it tastes great w/ whipped cream and strawberries.
  • CaliValleyGirl
    CaliValleyGirl Posts: 744 Member
    I love angel food cake, I can eat it plain
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    I love it, especially the one my mom makes. It's so fluffy it literally melts in your mouth. The variation I like the most is with apple slices.
  • victory291
    victory291 Posts: 15 Member
    Okay now I’m craving angel food cake🤣
  • CaliValleyGirl
    CaliValleyGirl Posts: 744 Member
    victory291 wrote: »
    Okay now I’m craving angel food cake🤣

Same, arg
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,706 Member
    edited September 2019
    earlnabby wrote: »
    I am not a big fan but when I do make it I make it from scratch. My grandmother was famous for her Angel Food and I use her recipe. When I make it, I think of her beating all those egg whites by hand since they didn't get electricity until sometime in the late 1930's. I am thankful for my Kitchenaid.

My favorite cake to make with Angle food is a cake Grandma used to make with chocolate whipped cream.

Make an Angel Food cake and cool

Beat together until stiff:
    1 teaspoon Vanilla
    3 cups Whipping Cream
    1 1/2 cups Powdered Sugar
    3/4 cup Cocoa
    1/4 teaspoon Salt

Cut off the top 1" of the cake and scoop out the insides so you have a tunnel with 1" of cake on all sides. Fill the tunnel with the cream, put the top back on, and frost with the remaining cream. Decorate with raspberries or slivered almonds.

Where are the egg whites?

Oh ... is your recipe just for the whipped cream?
  • RelCanonical
    RelCanonical Posts: 3,882 Member
    Only fresh, the store bought stuff is pretty stiff.
  • Sunshine_And_Sand
    Sunshine_And_Sand Posts: 1,320 Member
    I’ve always liked it. I like the spongy texture and the lightly sweet taste.
    It goes great with fresh strawberries and whil cream too.
  • cbstewart88
    cbstewart88 Posts: 453 Member
    I have never had it. But this post has made me curious....
  • battersea922
    battersea922 Posts: 43 Member
    Which is better/worse...Angel food or pound cake?
  • yayamom3
    yayamom3 Posts: 939 Member
    It's a family tradition (homemade), and I love it. I recently shared my dirty secret with my mom that before I flip the cake over on the plate, I peel off the brown crunchy layer on the bottom and devour it, as it's my favorite part. She confessed to me that she does the same thing! It was a fun mother/daughter moment.