Does anyone actually like Angel Food Cake?

Replies

• Go_Deskercise
    Go_Deskercise Posts: 1,630 Member
    I love angel food cake!! Love it plain or with strawberries, ice cream with a little whipped cream on top. YUM!
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    yayamom3 wrote: »
    It's a family tradition (homemade), and I love it. I recently shared my dirty secret with my mom that before I flip the cake over on the plate, I peel off the brown crunchy layer on the bottom and devour it, as it's my favorite part. She confessed to me that she does the same thing! It was a fun mother/daughter moment.

When I was a kid, we would sneak in and eat that part before mom even got the cake out of the pan.
  • pancakerunner
    pancakerunner Posts: 6,137 Member
    Which is better/worse...Angel food or pound cake?

I prefer pound cake! More buttery/moist??
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    I’ve never had it, don’t know if it’s really a ‘thing’ in the UK or at least in the same form as in the US. We have Angel Cake 🍰 , which is usually a striped layer cake in the same flavour/colours as Neapolitan Ice Cream; chocolate, vanilla and strawberry.

I have thought of trying to make it though, at various times but have hesitated because I have no idea whether a recipe looks legit or not since I don’t know what I’m aiming for! I imagine it being a very light, very close textured thing, like a Genoese Sponge but with less flavour?

Many seasons ago on The Great British Baking Show, the technical challenge was an angel food cake. None of the contestants knew what it was. It really surprised me, as it’s very common in the US. Growing up, we had it frequently, especially with mascerated strawberries and real whipped cream. Plain with no toppings, it has lower calories than other cake.

Nowadays, I am not much of a cake eater. It’s one food that I don’t miss and I can easily resist.

I just re-watched that episode this weekend! That show is my current happy place, play in the background choice. I just wish Netflix would add the missing seasons.

As for the original question, I will eat angel food cake if it is placed in front of me but I haven't actually made one since high school. Berries and whipped cream are required, not optional. I've never had one with any kind of frosting. Seems like it would be too sickly sweet without some tartness from the berries.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,023 Member
    edited September 2019
    Fresh made angel food cake is quite good, with syrupy strawberries and real, not too sweet, whipped cream. The airy texture is honestly different than any other dessert, and I suppose where the name comes from. It should be a light dessert.

Store bought angel food cake is generally a waste of calories. It can be saved with a big scoop of good ice cream plopped on top and allowed to melt and soak into the cake a little, but honestly at that point I'd rather just eat the ice cream.

Angel food cake and pound cake are like two different animals, which is better depends on what you are in the mood for and what you are going to top it with. Though if store-bought is the only option, you can get some decent store bought pound cake so I'd go with that in a pinch.
  • etherealanwar
    etherealanwar Posts: 465 Member
    It would definitely not be my first choice but I do like it.
  • MichelleWithMoxie
    MichelleWithMoxie Posts: 1,819 Member
    edited September 2019
    It was legit my favorite cake as a kid. I requested it for every birthday.

ETA: admittedly, I was a weird kid (and am now a weird adult lol), and had (and still have) a very weird palette. 🤷🏼‍♀️
  • RelCanonical
    RelCanonical Posts: 3,882 Member
    MichSmish wrote: »

ETA: admittedly, I was a weird kid (and am now a weird adult lol), and had (and still have) a very weird palette. 🤷🏼‍♀️

I recall frosting an angel food cake for my birthday once. Like, out of the can frosting. It didn't work that well, but I still ate it because it was cake.
  • MichelleWithMoxie
    MichelleWithMoxie Posts: 1,819 Member

I recall frosting an angel food cake for my birthday once. Like, out of the can frosting. It didn't work that well, but I still ate it because it was cake.

My fav was plain with a little whipped cream
  • jthillk
    jthillk Posts: 17 Member
    Birthday cake of choice in our family. Sometimes with whipped topping and strawberries sometimes with 7 minute frosting.
    I buy the boxed mix, don't care for the premade cakes at the stores, also don't care for the cakes that are truly homemade with a lot of egg whites, those are not sweet enough.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,843 Member
    pinuplove wrote: »
    I’ve never had it, don’t know if it’s really a ‘thing’ in the UK or at least in the same form as in the US. We have Angel Cake 🍰 , which is usually a striped layer cake in the same flavour/colours as Neapolitan Ice Cream; chocolate, vanilla and strawberry.

I have thought of trying to make it though, at various times but have hesitated because I have no idea whether a recipe looks legit or not since I don’t know what I’m aiming for! I imagine it being a very light, very close textured thing, like a Genoese Sponge but with less flavour?

Many seasons ago on The Great British Baking Show, the technical challenge was an angel food cake. None of the contestants knew what it was. It really surprised me, as it’s very common in the US. Growing up, we had it frequently, especially with mascerated strawberries and real whipped cream. Plain with no toppings, it has lower calories than other cake.

Nowadays, I am not much of a cake eater. It’s one food that I don’t miss and I can easily resist.

I just re-watched that episode this weekend! That show is my current happy place, play in the background choice. I just wish Netflix would add the missing seasons.

As for the original question, I will eat angel food cake if it is placed in front of me but I haven't actually made one since high school. Berries and whipped cream are required, not optional. I've never had one with any kind of frosting. Seems like it would be too sickly sweet without some tartness from the berries.

The Great British Baking Show makes me feel inadequate. And hungry. Bad combo. :lol:
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    pinuplove wrote: »

The Great British Baking Show makes me feel inadequate. And hungry. Bad combo. :lol:

It's rare that I crave something they're making on the show, which does seem odd now that I think about. Maybe because I know there is a zero percent chance of me actually getting in the kitchen and making it at that moment :lol:

Hear you on the inadequate thing, though. Homemade phyllo dough? Yeah, not happening! Ever.
  • memurph88
    memurph88 Posts: 102 Member

Oooo that's a tough one. I find them equally delicious :love:
  • busyPK
    busyPK Posts: 3,788 Member
    I love it - especially with fresh fruit topping and whipped cream/ice cream. 2/3 of my kids ask for angel food cake for their birthday. :D
  • AliNouveau
    AliNouveau Posts: 36,287 Member
    I love it!!!! It's so light and spongy and delicious
  • nooshi713
    nooshi713 Posts: 4,877 Member
    I like it but rarely eat cake
  • missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member

Well, pound cake definitely has more calories.
  • teresa19622015
    teresa19622015 Posts: 34 Member
    It can be rubbery but if made well - yum!
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Mrs Jruzer always asks me to make homemade chocolate angelfood cake with whipped cream for her birthday every year. And it's pretty darn good, if I do say so.

Her grandmother made many angelfood cakes whipping the whites by hand. I cheat and use the stand mixer.
  • not_my_first_rodeo
    not_my_first_rodeo Posts: 311 Member
    I love it, especially if it's homemade angelfood cake.