What to make with ricotta?

phx92
phx92 Posts: 87 Member
Does anyone have any good recipes or ideas using ricotta?

I’ve never used it before but I got some for a pasta recipe. I’ll only need half so I’ll have a good amount left over

Replies

• acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,590 Member
    I like it on fruit, similar to fruit with yoghurt for breakfast. Being sweeter and less acidic than yoghurt it is more sympathetic with fruit.
  • shrinkingweez
    shrinkingweez Posts: 25 Member
    I have it with a small portion of pasta, homemade tomato sauce, and spinach. It's delish!
  • PreciousGems1
    PreciousGems1 Posts: 27 Member
    My breakfast this am = 1 oz dry oatmeal + 1c water and cooked in microwave 3 min, 6 oz homemade no sugar added applesauce and 4 oz ricotta. It took me over 1/2 hr to eat as I read and responded on this site. Which tells me it was super healthy for me as it did NOT trigger my obsession and compulsion for sugar and flour. NSV = non scale victory
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    lasagna
  • neugebauer52
    neugebauer52 Posts: 1,120 Member
    edited September 2019
    I use ricotta for all kinds of bakes. For a cold snack I make "Liptauer" - ground caraway seeds, medium hot paprika, pickled cucumber, little garlic, some anchovies if you like them. Over a mixed salad - delicious. Or fill some crepes with slightly sweetened ricotta, add some raisins (soak them first in brandy or amaretto...) some lemon zest and juice, bake in a little milk / almond milk / coconut milk for 10 - 15 minutes. Can be eaten hot or cold.
  • OldHobo
    OldHobo Posts: 647 Member
    phx92 wrote: »

I’ve never used it before but I got some for a pasta recipe. I’ll only need half so I’ll have a good amount left over

Second the lasagna and fruit suggestions. Do you usually use yogurt, cottage cheese, or sour cream? Try substituting ricotta.

Do you like cheese spreads? Try something like this:
    • 4 oz cream cheese, softened
    • 4oz ricotta
    • 8 oz shredded extra-sharp cheddar cheese
    • 1 or 2 garlic cloves, micro-grated or smashed and minced or 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
    • 1/4 teaspoon onion powder or freshly minced onion, shallot, scallion, etc
    • 2 to 4 ounces jarred pimento or roasted sweet red peppers, diced
    • 1 or 2 ounces store-bought mayonnaise
    • freshly ground black pepper
    • 1 ounce finely chopped pecans
  • purplefizzy
    purplefizzy Posts: 594 Member
    just_Tomek wrote: »
    phx92 wrote: »

This...
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10724883/low-calorie-no-bake-italian-cheesecake-low-cal-high-protein/p1

or this.....
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10749748/long-time-coming-ricotta-protein-cheesecake#latest

Supporting these. I’ve made both and well worth it. Make the Italian version exactly. It’s a little laborious but company worthy.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,961 Member
    I have it with a small portion of pasta, homemade tomato sauce, and spinach. It's delish!

This. Except I might have meatballs instead of spinach, and a normal size portion of pasta, and the tomato sauce from my local pizzeria.

When I don't have ricotta, I sometimes do the same combo with cottage cheese.

Also, for the ricotta, cannolli. Or just cannolli filling on graham crackers.
  • phx92
    phx92 Posts: 87 Member
    Thanks for all of the ideas!
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,400 Member
    There is a famous sour cherry ricotta pie recipe that I buy in the jewish section of Rome. It's not low calorie, but there are posters like Tomek who experiment with substitutions. I don't have amounts of ingredients because it's all to taste. Take ricotta and mix in some cinnamon and brown sugar (I put in only a little), prepare, or buy a cookie crust and line a pie pan. Pour in ricotta mixture and on top dollop sour cherry preserves. Close the pie with the other half of the cookie crust. Brush with egg and bake in moderate oven until brown on top. Just the ricotta with cinnamon and a little sugar is very good if you don't want to make the pie.
  • koalathebear
    koalathebear Posts: 236 Member
    I use it to make yummy pancakes.

Ricotta Pancakes

2 eggs
    250g tub smooth light ricotta
    1/2 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
    2 teaspoons vanilla extract
    1/2 cup milk
    1 metric cup (150g) self raising flour
    2 tablespoons sugar
    2 teaspoons baking powder

Whisk together the eggs, ricotta, juice and vanilla extract and milk until well combed and smooth. Sift in the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt; mix until just combined. Don't over beat the batter. It will be thicker than normal pancake batter. Gently fold in the blueberries.

Heat a nonstick pan or skillet over low-medium heat. Grease with a small amount of butter (or oil spray) and pour 1/4 cup of batter onto the pan. Fry until golden and set on the underside; gently flip and cook the other side until browned and cooked through. Repeat with remaining batter.
  • yayamom3
    yayamom3 Posts: 939 Member
    My family just likes it on a piece of flatbread or naan. Sometimes we sprinkle with some lemon zest or cinnamon. Sometimes we just eat it plain. I also dollop it on homemade pizza.
  • BW__NOT
    BW__NOT Posts: 807 Member
    yayamom3 wrote: »
    My family just likes it on a piece of flatbread or naan. Sometimes we sprinkle with some lemon zest or cinnamon. Sometimes we just eat it plain. I also dollop it on homemade pizza.

Perfect.....here's how to make that even better...use your electric hand mixer and whip the ricotta before adding the lemon zest.
  • Safari_Gal_
    Safari_Gal_ Posts: 1,461 Member

Ooh - how about a simple dessert?

This pudding is 3 ingredients- ricotta, sweetener of choice and vanilla. Whip together and chill!

6730z65wwopr.jpeg
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,400 Member
    Ooh - how about a simple dessert?

This pudding is 3 ingredients- ricotta, sweetener of choice and vanilla. Whip together and chill!

6730z65wwopr.jpeg

I bet cinnamon in this would be good too--will have to try.
  • jalapenos6000
    jalapenos6000 Posts: 13 Member
    Cannoli ice-cream