Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Too much cardio is unnecessary for losing weight while lifting

raven56706
raven56706 Posts: 918 Member
edited September 2019 in Debate Club
I have seen this countless times. So just curious.

say your goal is the lose weight and you are on a calorie deficit.

If you are doing a 45 minute weight session, would another 30 minute Peloton ride be too much? Means now you are working out for 75 minutes.

why is it too much cardio hurts your results or is it not that serious?

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    raven56706 wrote: »
    I have seen this countless times. So just curious.

say your goal is the lose weight and you are on a calorie deficit.

If you are doing a 45 minute weight session, would another 30 minute Peloton ride be too much? Means now you are working out for 75 minutes.

why is it too much cardio hurts your results or is it not that serious?

I have never heard anything like this...
  • raven56706
    well thats just the thing. I ask this question because i thought there was an actual debate about it.

one person i read on it says "Say you want to undertake a fat loss diet. At a point you are going to turn to cardio to help you create a caloric deficit along with calorie drops. If you are already doing 60 minutes of cardio 5x per week, you’re going to have to ADD to this. Now you’re doing 75minutes of cardio 6x per week or something similar. That’s a lot of cardio. Especially if you don’t really have the time to add 75 minutes of cardio on top of a 60-90 minute lifting session every day. ⁣"

so i ask for a person like say myself who's primary goal is to just lose weight and maintain muscle that i have(full body weight lifting 4 days a week), how much cardio is acceptable? i ask as i like riding my Peloton bike but just don't want it affecting my main goal.
  • raven56706
    Here's what I've read (from good sources):

There is an "interference" effect between running and lifting. It isn't huge, and we don't know exactly why it happens. The best guess is the concentric muscle contractions in running. This is specific to running, but a lot of bros generalize to all cardio, probably because lifting culture isn't so hot on cardio.

Also, you're losing calories on your peleton, you'll have to eat them back if muscle gain is your goal.

But that brings us to the point. You're probably not going to build a ton of muscle in a calorie deficit anyway. Your goal at this point should be to maintain what you have (if you can build some that's a bonus) until you get to goal weight, and then recomp. If you look at it that way, you can forget all the bro-science.

Ok so in my case om990nsiebxt.jpeg here are my calorie goals. I shoot for weight loss but try to stay just alittle under. Now when I workout like I describe to you, do you try to eat more than that or just eat that. Again, the goal isn’t to build muscle but to keep what I have and just burn the fat.

• raven56706
    By the way, I thought there would be more debate about this but I guess not haha 😜
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    edited September 2019
    So you are eating how much per day? That is a TDEE model that includes exercise.
  • puffbrat
    puffbrat Posts: 2,806 Member

There is an "interference" effect between running and lifting. It isn't huge, and we don't know exactly why it happens. The best guess is the concentric muscle contractions in running. This is specific to running, but a lot of bros generalize to all cardio, probably because lifting culture isn't so hot on cardio.

Also, you're losing calories on your peleton, you'll have to eat them back if muscle gain is your goal.

But that brings us to the point. You're probably not going to build a ton of muscle in a calorie deficit anyway. Your goal at this point should be to maintain what you have (if you can build some that's a bonus) until you get to goal weight, and then recomp. If you look at it that way, you can forget all the bro-science.

Ok so in my case om990nsiebxt.jpeg here are my calorie goals. I shoot for weight loss but try to stay just alittle under. Now when I workout like I describe to you, do you try to eat more than that or just eat that. Again, the goal isn’t to build muscle but to keep what I have and just burn the fat.

Is there a reason you have decided not to just input your stats and goal into this app, and let it do the math for you based on your setup and using your diary every day?
  • raven56706
    mmapags wrote: »
    So you are eating how much per day? That is a TDEE model that includes exercise.

I’m eating just alittle under the Fat Loss amount. That is based on 4 days of working out.
  • raven56706
    puffbrat wrote: »

Is there a reason you have decided not to just input your stats and goal into this app, and let it do the math for you based on your setup and using your diary every day?

I did but from I read here that you can either do what MFP offers or what IIFYM puts as a goal. Is there an advantage just going through MFPs calculations?
  • Theoldguy1
    Theoldguy1 Posts: 2,454 Member
    Azdak wrote: »
    GaryRuns wrote: »
    The last paper I read was from 2014 and it said there appeared to be a negative correlation between cardio and hypertrophy/strength. According to that paper they're not absolutely certain why cardio seems to add to muscle loss when you're in a caloric deficit. Some think it's a matter of recovery, when you're doing both cardio and resistance training, and you're in a calorie deficit, there's just too much for your body to handle and the muscles seem to pay the price. Maybe someone else has more up to date information. Here's the paper I read:

scholarworks.csun.edu/bitstream/handle/10211.3/198593/Helms-ER-Recommendation-2015.pdf?sequence=1

Personally, as a former (reformed?) runner, I like doing some cardio. So I do a couple of hours of HIIT a week and some vigorous walking for 30 minutes or so a couple of days a week. And right now I'm in a calorie deficit with some refeeds on the weekend (that's what I'm calling my weekend cheating when it comes to food, a refeed lol). I have been in a calorie deficit for a couple of months and my resistance training hasn't suffered much. Of course I started out about 23% bf so I had some extra fluffiness to fuel my body.

It’s important to point out that “interferes” does not mean “prevents”. It is quite possible to do high volumes of cardio and still increase strength and mass. You just can’t maximize your gainz.

For the average person who will never come close to maximizing their genetic potential, it makes almost no difference.

I would agree. Better for the average person to get the cardio in along with the resistance work.

This article suggest that a modest bit of long low intensity cardio can improve recovery and therefore improve the results of your higher intensity efforts.

http://robertsontrainingsystems.com/blog/long-duration-low-intensity-cardio/
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    puffbrat wrote: »

I did but from I read here that you can either do what MFP offers or what IIFYM puts as a goal. Is there an advantage just going through MFPs calculations?

Not necessarily. Just understand which method you are using and follow it accordingly. The amount of cardio you are doing is fine. How much weight have you lost in the last 60 to 90 days.