Swimming??? Anyone here ...

Anyone here using swimming as their main exercise to loosing weight? Due to my walking usually 10,000 plus steps daily at work and my right knee getting a bit sore by the time I end work and head to the gym, Swimming I think would be a better option for me as more (straight-line) activities like stair, bicycling, treadmills all add impact to a tender knee and I know it will wind up being an injury that would take weeks to heal.
Whereas swimming should be fine. I am planning on starting out with it tomorrow.
Anyone else here use Swimming?

Replies

• surfbug808
    surfbug808 Posts: 251 Member
    I swim, but am new to losing weight. Since it provides some cardio, it will burn some calories, like any exercise. But, my understanding is that calorie deficit is the main way to lose weight. I have a knee injury also, and swimming is a great exercise that doesn't create hard impact on the joints. Depending on how you swim and for how long, you may burn more or less calories. I swim for fun, but am also doing other exercises that burn more calories and create more strength than swimming does.
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,400 Member
    I swim 3 times a week for 23 years now plus acquagym. Swimming makes you very hungry and is dehydrating so be careful. You need a calorie deficit to lose, so get a digital scale and weigh and measure everything to hit your calorie goal everyday. Swimming is great exercise and I love it, but I also integrate with yoga, gym, and walking. Use a knee brace if it acts up, and look into knee strengthening exercises.
  • Evamutt
    Evamutt Posts: 2,261 Member
    I loved swimming for years plus when I started mfp 2 yrs ago I went to 3 water aerobic classes a week. I did it for so long I kinda got burned out so hardly did it this year. My main exercise is walking my dogs
  • agegananderson
    agegananderson Posts: 3 Member
    I love swimming, but haven't been able to find an affordable gym with a pool. If you know swim terminology and know the basics of each stroke, this is a great resource https://www.100swimmingworkouts.com/#beginner
  • mom23mangos
    mom23mangos Posts: 3,070 Member
    I swim 3 times a week for 23 years now plus acquagym. Swimming makes you very hungry and is dehydrating so be careful. You need a calorie deficit to lose, so get a digital scale and weigh and measure everything to hit your calorie goal everyday. Swimming is great exercise and I love it, but I also integrate with yoga, gym, and walking. Use a knee brace if it acts up, and look into knee strengthening exercises.

This!^ I love swimming (even though I suck at it), but it makes me ravenous. More So than any other exercise. You'll need to be on top of your logging.
  • Djproulx
    Djproulx Posts: 3,084 Member
    Swimming is a great total body exercise. You'll develop cardio fitness without the impact risks of running, etc.

I've spent the last year rehabbing an achilles injury, so while running and cycling were out, swimming was my only real cardio work. It allowed me to maintain at least some of my cardio fitness.
  • Bruceapple
    Bruceapple Posts: 2,026 Member
    We have an active group here called "Swimmers!", come by and check it out.
    All levels and good advice is available.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Think of it this way: swimming is one of the higher calorie burning exercises AND it works all the major muscle groups. Add in the fact that it is easy on the joints and you have a great workout. The only downside is that it is not a weight bearing exercise per se.

I lost over 100 lb. by swimming, doing water aerobics, and some walking.
  • LeiLaura
    LeiLaura Posts: 238 Member
    Absolutely. I love it. I do a wee bit of strength training (20 mins twice a week) as well, but I've been swimming consistently 2-4 times a week since 1st August and it's definitely helped me burn calories and tone up. I'm stronger now. When I started, I could only do 20 lengths (0.5km) and I was exhausted. My current record is 1.5km, and I wasn't out of breath, so I think I could do 2km now (if I keep a water bottle at the side of the pool) and plan to test that theory soon now that my new goggles have arrived :) I love feeling my body stretch as I pull it through the water, and feeling the difference in my endurance week on week. The one week I didn't get to the pool as much, I definitely felt a slip in my fitness level. It's also great because I hate sweating, and the chest burn that running gives me. Give it a go, I think you'll love it!
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,249 Member
    Weight loss happen in the kitchen and exercise is for fitness and health but, having said that, swimming is great exercise. It's zero impact but, at least for me, is harder than running or cycling. When you fist get in the pool focus on developing an efficient stroke and good technique, if need be consider some lessons or coaching, over the course of a couple of years I went from being a terrible swimmer to swimming 4 km last year (I've done shorter swims for triathlons and a 3knm race a couple of times) - something I would have never though possible - as a result of taking my tri club's swim program.

A little off topic but if your bike fits you properly it shouldn't cause problems for your knees but if it's already tender taking time to heal is a good idea.

• lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    edited October 2019
    I love my swimming! Getting back to the pool more regularly this week now that the outdoor swimming season is over.

Spent last week on vaca with lots of biking. We should have another 6 weeks or so of acceptable biking weather. I find that swimming and biking compliment each other quite nicely for my body.
  • JigglypuffSharpie
    JigglypuffSharpie Posts: 10 Member
    You might want to check out your local YMCA, because sometimes the YMCA has aqua zumba classes and water aerobics. Other places might have them too.
  • shalsing
    shalsing Posts: 3 Member
    Swimming is great - u workout in a relaxing environment which leads to loss of stress n peace of mind
    Hydrate amply - use MyFitnessPal to count your daily calories to maintain a Calorie deficit

First u will have water loss , then inch loss

Your body will feel
    More toned n tanned
  • alisonkuan
    alisonkuan Posts: 20 Member
    Last time I use to jog n walk but after right knee joint problem I swim 3X a week n manage to lose weight. I swim like 70 minutes freestyle n breast stroke. It need more effort than running to lose weight. But if u consider Keto diet with swimming thinking the result to lose weight will b very effective. I tried for a month and manage to lose like 2 kg. But not easy to maintain Keto diet for long term.
  • alisonkuan
    alisonkuan Posts: 20 Member
    When I swim 70 minutes plus 10 minutes continuously plus walking in pool can burn 450 calories.