Meal Replacement Recommendations

I’ve tried Herbalife before and liked it but did not use it long term. so I’m looking to see if anyone has some recommendations on meal replacements that will give me energy, leave me feeling full and help me kickstart my weight loss!

Replies

• Luke_rabbit
    Luke_rabbit Posts: 1,031 Member
    @Terytha Frozen broccoli? I've read about using frozen cauliflower but haven't tried it yet. I've gone a little smoothie crazy since buying my new Breville blender. Had one today with beets, cocoa, banana, and mango - I start every smoothie with a base of skim milk, Greek yogurt and protein powder.
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    I don’t like the taste of those shakes, but when I first started, I had tuna salad a lot when I didn’t know what to eat. Quick, easy, cheap, high protein, low calorie. You probably have a couple of meals in your diary that you could make work often. Look it over, and look at your friends’ diaries for ideas, too.
    There are 2 places near me that sell basic meals that check all those boxes except cheap. But I use them a lot and would definitely recommend them highly to others. Do you have something near you?
  • brightresolve
    brightresolve Posts: 1,024 Member
    Terytha wrote: »
    ...You can fit a surprising amount of broccoli into a fruit smoothie...

:lol: So true! Kale, spinach and chard also go nicely.

Protein powder, a little ice, some cocoa powder unsweetened if you are in the mood, frozen fruit, half a banana, ice cubes. It's delish, the texture of soft serve ice cream, and mine comes out about 330 calories for 16+ ounces of yum.
  • jenncornelsen
    jenncornelsen Posts: 969 Member
    As someone who has personally done the meal replacement shake thing, I found it was not something I could stick to long term, as it got old, fast. Plus yes they're loaded with tons of who knows what. Eventually you will need to learn how to eat healthy anyways, might as well start now. Though I will say, if I am running out the door and don't have time to make something, I will occasionally grab a protein shake or protein bar, nothing fancy just whatever sounds good at my local supplement store
  • Clairin
    Clairin Posts: 95 Member
    I recently started eating a 30g 'meal replacement' bar. It has 114 calories and 7 grams protein. It takes away my hunger and I can happily then train hard at the gym etc with the energy I get. I'm under no illusions that this is largely sugar related energy boost. However this low calorie protein is a good fix for me. Stops me in my tracks needing to eat for a while.
  • Clairin
    Clairin Posts: 95 Member
    Clairin wrote: »
    I recently started eating a 30g 'meal replacement' bar. It has 114 calories and 7 grams protein. It takes away my hunger and I can happily then train hard at the gym etc with the energy I get. I'm under no illusions that this is largely sugar related energy boost. However this low calorie protein is a good fix for me. Stops me in my tracks needing to eat for a while.

I will add, this in my mind is a small meal. I frame it as that not a snack. So for me it's not replacing a meal, it's a small meal on the go to keep me from hunger, over eating later or snacking.
  • savannahs21
    savannahs21 Posts: 364 Member
    atkins shakes,equate protein shakes, nutrisytem shake (powder)
  • ElizabethKalmbach
    ElizabethKalmbach Posts: 1,416 Member
    There are a zillion different options out there, depending on what you're looking to accomplish with your shake. I actually keep several different types of mix and protein powder in the house to help me accomplish my goals - but I subscribe to nothing because it's almost too much for *me* to keep up with what my body needs, and a subscription service doesn't even *care* about that.

If I just need to hit calorie targets and I've had a pretty balanced day over all, I like the Orgaine product for a decent balance of fiber, protein, and vitamins. If I need a bump on my protein to balance a day when I tried to put down the entire contents of a salad bar, I go after straight whey protein.

And maybe this is a little weird, but I am not a person who really likes *sweet* things all that often, so I also keep V8 and a few different cans of soup in the same cabinet with my shake mixes, because sometimes I need something easy, but I want easy & salty. :)
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Is there a reason you're looking at meal replacements?

But to some of your needs/wants...
    • Real food is almost always a better option. In most cases, it will take longer to digest and thus leave you feeling full for longer.
    • If you're feeling sluggish/lethargic, get more sleep, have a bit of caffeine, or workout.
    • Weight loss doesn't come from shakes vs food. It comes from correctly managing your diet. Unfortunately there are no short cuts here.

I know you didn't specifically ask this, but if you chose to use/try meal replacements... make sure they are actual meal replacements and come with a reasonable balance of fats, carbs, protein, vitamins and minerals.
  • trishdaniels
    trishdaniels Posts: 1 Member
    As a nurse working in surgery, it's hard for me to eat breakfast and lunch. Right now, I'm skipping a lot of meals.
    My morning starts at 5 a.m. and ends by 6 p.m. Monday through Thursday. It's a long day and I don't always get the breaks to eat a meal. I'm thinking that a drink would be a better way for me to manage my weight. Any advice is greatly appreciated.
  • SenzaParole03
    SenzaParole03 Posts: 7 Member
    I'm looking at order 4-week Extante plan to kick off our new year. Anyone had Extante meals and shakes before?
  • NicbPNW
    NicbPNW Posts: 47 Member
    I have been drinking Shakeology for a couple years and absolutely love it. It's delicious and more nutritious than most shakes out there. I have one in the morning with a banana and kale then a small snack shortly after. I just love the way it tastes and how easy it is when I'm rushing out the door in the morning. True it's expensive but to me it's worth it because of how it makes me feel.

**I wouldn't replace lunch or dinner with a shake though. That's just me. I need real food :)
  • vivo1972
    vivo1972 Posts: 129 Member
    Iuse ProteinWorks meal replacement powder for my first meal. I find it helps me get the nutrients I lack and I can neck it plus feel full.
  • I often have a Juice Plus complete shake made with either soya or almond milk blended with frozen fruit and veg.
    As a school nurse I start work at 7am ( leaving the house at 6) and don't get an official "break" until 1pm so this is enough to keep me going until I can have my lunch.
    Like a previous poster I couldn't replace lunch or dinner with a shake.
    And it is expensive - I take their capsules too - but I find the benefits are worth the cost - each to their own I suppose.