Lets talk Peanut butter?

OAS5
OAS5 Posts: 374 Member
Throughout my fat loss of 73 pounds or so my biggest guilty pleasure has been peanut butter. Typically 2 spoon fulls plain, not on bread or with jelly, just peanut butter spoon fulls. Then I kinda feel guilty and lay off for a few days or weeks. So its high in calories and fat but low in saturated fat. What is your overall take on peanut butter and losing weight? Should I feel bad after eating peanut butter a few days in a row?

Replies

• maureenkhilde
    maureenkhilde Posts: 850 Member
    I love peanut butter as well. And I weigh it out. Me Skippy Natural Creamy hits the spot. Have several times a week.
  • nicnz
    nicnz Posts: 159 Member
    In agreement with the above staments, that if you enjoy, why not eat it (in moderation, it's a very healthy source of fats and protein 👍)

Like many of you here I am a massive PB fan 😋😍 but do find it terribly challenging to control myself once the jar is open. I always buy the no added sugar varieties which are much more common in the shops here now than the cheap sugar-added options (NZ).
    It's extra plastic around the house but am finding a small bag of roasted chopped nuts does the trick, and it's much easier to stop for me strangely enough....or roasting my own peanuts (cheaper) and taking them all to work for breakfast/snacks.

• Jrodasff
    Jrodasff Posts: 334 Member
    I crush peanut butter throughout the day. Tons of it in a protein shake, large TBS with an Apple, spread all over kodiak pancakes, just by itself. Love it
  • OAS5
    OAS5 Posts: 374 Member
    Thanks guys, I feel guilty or maybe slightly nervous is it puts me up close to my fat count for the day. That's the only reason. Thanks for all the responses.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,967 Member
    Throughout my fat loss of 73 pounds or so my biggest guilty pleasure has been peanut butter. Typically 2 spoon fulls plain, not on bread or with jelly, just peanut butter spoon fulls. Then I kinda feel guilty and lay off for a few days or weeks. So its high in calories and fat but low in saturated fat. What is your overall take on peanut butter and losing weight? Should I feel bad after eating peanut butter a few days in a row?

My personal take on peanut butter is that I dont like it much.

I do not have any in my house and cannot remember the last time I ate any.

But that's just me.

Eat any food you like for as many days in a row as you like as long as it fits in your calories and you dont eat so much that your diet is becoming nutritionally unbalanced

• acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,586 Member
    It's not the texture of peanut butter and it's processed but I find lower caloriy PB2 works well as a replacement in recipes calling for peanut butter such as satay sauce for grilled meats, West African peanut soup, asian peanut/sesame noodles, bang bang chicken.
  • Luke_rabbit
    Luke_rabbit Posts: 1,031 Member
    edited October 2019
    As others said, I really like PB2 in cooking and also in smoothies. I find that I have to keep it in the fridge after opening.

I eat peanut butter a few times a week. Smuckers natural (peanuts, salt) is my favorite. Has to initially be stirred and then kept in the fridge because it doesn't contain any preservatives. I don't like the peanut butters with added sugar (Jif, Skippy, etc); I find them too sweet.

My cholesterol and triglycerides are very healthy, so I don't pay much attention to my fat macro. I think I eat about 25% - 30% fat.

My husband eats peanut butter every day and his lipid profile is also normal.
  • HollyPFlax
    HollyPFlax Posts: 79 Member
    I eat peanut butter all the time, almost every day. After work, I come home briefly to change. Then I head to the barn to ride or the gym to lift weight. Both take about 2 1/2 hours. I needed to find a small snack that would keep me full. Peanut butter has a really nice mix of fat, sugar, and a little bit of protein. The texture even feels like it coats my stomach and I don't need to eat anything else. How do I do it without gaining weight? I weigh out 16.5 grams, which is half a serving, or 95 calories. Those are factored into my total for the day and usually logged ahead of time.