finding difficult to Over head press

Replies

• I don’t think this is a troll. It’s a real person who is struggling with new ideas. And struggling with all the myths there are out there on the inter webs about fitness which conflict with the info he is getting on here.

He may be young, naive, indecisive and resistant to advice. But not a troll.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,257 Member
    jonmarrow wrote: »
    OP, if you want biceps, I would recommend the following:

1. Continue on strong lifts
    2. Have patience
    3. Continue on strong lifts
    4. Have patience
    5. After a time longer than you think, when your dead lift approaches 300+ for reps (you are about the same size as me, but I'm 25 years older and 20 pounds heavier), so I know over time it will get there, add chin-ups to your routine. If you can't do them, start with either lat pull downs or a chin up "machine" that has an assistance component and work your assistance weight down. You'll get all the benefits of a curl, but you'll augment strength in your core, your back, and your shoulders.
    6. Have patience.

If you want your overhead press to improve, see above.

I think most folks who do programs like this - or similar will agree that the OHP is the slowest mover of the lifts. For me, it was always the one that stalled first and most often, that I would need to take a step back every once in a while and go ahead. It is a movement whose form is very important. Most people trip up when they do not engage their entire kinetic chain in the movement. You have to tighten everything for this lift to give the most benefit - and for your growth in it to be the most steady.

To give you an idea, my reps went up pretty steadily until I reached about 105 pounds. I failed the reps on that for 3 straight sessions. Then went back to 85 and worked back up. Passed 105 and stalled again at 120. Backed off to 100 or so, and worked back up. Lather, rinse, repeat. Now, about 1.5 years later, was repping close to 160 for 5 (before a recent car accident - which has sent back down to about 125). It is a process.

Remember that failing reps is a normal part of your progression at times. Follow what the program says about this.

This is going to take time. It takes consistent, regular work.

Have patience.

I cant have patience when i look at people like this guy https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qZ0n3N59VnM
    who have a solid physique by doing more or less the same exercises I was doing in my original routine but now I only have to stick to 3 exercises for god knows how long and no guarantee when i will see big forearms and big biceps but other people can hit the gym do all sorts of exercises and get a fit physique!

Why do I have to stick to such a boring routine? life is not fair.

The only thing you need to change is your perception.

Anyone with a solid physique acquired this from effort and patience. Take a good long look at yourself and your behavior before focusing on others. Instead of wallowing in envy study the successful and modify their behavior to your own life. Often this comes down to nothing more than discipline and time.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    edited September 2019
    SL5×5 is a strength template for beginners that should be run only for a few months for optimal results until you begin to stall.

It's not a hypertrophy trmplate so I wouldn't except your biceps to grow noticeably.

It's also a LP template. Which will not add sufficient volume enough to progress forever.

Because the template doesn't allow for added volume, I would highly recommend moving onto more advanced programming now you are near end of your novice phase.

• Chiefrlg I agree stronglifts is not optimal for hypertrophy and I’m guessing you would recommend one of barbell medicines templates for him. But the beauty of stronglifts is its simplicity. I would worry about over complicating things for him given all his queries and confusion around the basics.
  • fitpal02020
    fitpal02020 Posts: 193 Member
    why is it that it's been almost a month since I have been on this program, my forearms still look weak? I thought I would at least being to notice solide formation of my forearms. Is this genetics or would I have to wait a bit longer to see the results?
  • fitpal02020
    many people seem triggered here.. i dont understand what i did to cause such vile reactions. if you lack patience on listening and responding to questions a newbie has to a program, maybe dont respond?
  • fitpal02020
    wiigelec wrote: »
    jonmarrow wrote: »
    which I am doing. I just think this program is a bit too basic for me. I mean I am not at the beginner stage or just starting to hit. I think I can do more than 1 rep of deadlift in a set. I need a modified program.
    This strong lift program is like for beginners who probably have never hit the gym. I have been hitting the gym for over 10 years.

Would you be so kind as to provide your training log for the entire time you have been running strong lifts 5x5?

For example:
    W1
    D1
    Squat 5 x 5 x 115
    Bench 5 x 5 x 95
    Deadlift 1 x 5 x 135

D2
    Squat 5 x 5 x 120
    Press 5 x 5 x 55
    Row 5 x 5 x 105

D3
    Squat 5 x 5 x 125
    Bench 5 x 5 x 100
    Deadlift 1 x 5 x 145

W2
    D1
    Squat 5 x 5 x 130
    Press 5 x 5 x 60
    Row 1 x 5 x 110

D2
    Squat 5 x 5 x 135
    Bench 5 x 5 x 105
    Deadlift 1 x 5 x 155

D3
    Squat 5 x 5 x 140
    Press 5 x 5 x 65
    Row 1 x 5 x 115

etc...

W1
    D1
    Squat 5 x 5 x 0
    Bench 5 x 5 x 0
    Deadlift 1 x 5 x 0

D2
    Squat 5 x 5 x 2.5
    Press 5 x 5 x 2.5
    Row 5 x 5 x 2.5

D3
    Squat 5 x 5 x 5
    Bench 5 x 5 x 2.5
    Deadlift 1 x 5 x 5
    I increase each weight by 2.5 except for DL, I increase it by 5

As of week 4, I am at:
    W4

D1
    Squat 5 x 5 x 25
    Press 5 x 5 x 5
    Row 1 x 5 x 17.5

D2
    Squat 5 x 5 x 27.5
    Bench 5 x 5 x 15
    Deadlift 1 x 5 x 40

Please tell me when I will start to see solid formation of my forearms? I am noticing sleep benefits and strength benefits but my shape isn't really changing that much.

• fitpal02020
    jayemes wrote: »
    @jonmarrow I watched the video you posted. I'm not sure what you're seeing, but I'm seeing the dude in the video doing all the major strong lifts moves. The only exception are he did single arm rows instead of barbell rows and all the way at the end he did some bicep curls. Other than that he did dead lifts, OHP and bench press.
    You seem really frustrated by everyone telling you that you have to do the work but the video you posted is Arnold telling you that you have to do the work while you watch a guy do what everyone here is telling you that you need to do.
    There's no magic pill. You just need to do the work. It doesn't come fast or easy, but you'll get there.

which I am doing and I never said to hand me over a magic pill.
    The program is going great for me. I love it. I can't thank this community enough who first introduced to me the stronglifts program. I am not sure why you are venting in your post like that.
This discussion has been closed.