Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Body Positive Movement - For or against?

Replies

• vanityy99
    vanityy99 Posts: 2,583 Member
    I usually skip over long posts because attention span but I can read magnesthenerds posts all day boi. 🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥

• gatamadriz
    gatamadriz Posts: 68 Member
    The problem with this whole debate for me is, why should body positivity only be allowed for people who are in shape? Will you deny people who are not up to your fitness standards to feel good about their bodies? When you feel good about your body you tend to take better care of yourself, you build self esteem that can help you better your fitness level.
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    gatamadriz wrote: »
    The problem with this whole debate for me is, why should body positivity only be allowed for people who are in shape? Will you deny people who are not up to your fitness standards to feel good about their bodies? When you feel good about your body you tend to take better care of yourself, you build self esteem that can help you better your fitness level.

Was anyone saying that body positivity is/should only be allowed for people who are in shape? Most of what I've read here, outside of the subtopic about privilege, is a few people saying that body positivity isn't just about weight a handful of other people stating that fat people should be able to not hate their bodies (which is different to me than making the decision to lose weight - and also assumes that the only reason why fat people would hate their bodies is due to their size), and a bunch of people saying that body positivity is bad because people shouldn't be fat/being fat is unhealthy/we should be accommodating fat people/[enter in X negative thing about being overweight here]. There's also a small group who have mentioned that people can be severely underweight for various reasons as well.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Cahgetsfit wrote: »
    ...overall people DO need to look at their HEALTH and WELLBEING. Not just being comfortable in a skimpy swimsuit. Coz if you go and have a heart attack tomorrow you won't have a chance to rock your bikini the day after.

Love it! :D
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,899 Member
    aokoye wrote: »

Was anyone saying that body positivity is/should only be allowed for people who are in shape? Most of what I've read here, outside of the subtopic about privilege, is a few people saying that body positivity isn't just about weight a handful of other people stating that fat people should be able to not hate their bodies (which is different to me than making the decision to lose weight - and also assumes that the only reason why fat people would hate their bodies is due to their size), and a bunch of people saying that body positivity is bad because people shouldn't be fat/being fat is unhealthy/we should be accommodating fat people/[enter in X negative thing about being overweight here]. There's also a small group who have mentioned that people can be severely underweight for various reasons as well.

I thought it was possibly a response to the post immediately above it? But who knows, this whole discussion is frustrating.
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    edited October 2019
    lemurcat2 wrote: »
    aokoye wrote: »

I thought it was possibly a response to the post immediately above it? But who knows, this whole discussion is frustrating.

Ah yeah maybe. I'm posting with an "I have a cold brain" so I may have missed that. Either way, I agree - this whole discussion is very frustrating. Also very telling.
  • jalapenos6000
    jalapenos6000 Posts: 13 Member
    For
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member

I think that is the exact opposite of what people see as the body positivity movement
  • magnusthenerd
    magnusthenerd Posts: 1,207 Member
    vanityy99 wrote: »
    I usually skip over long posts because attention span but I can read magnesthenerds posts all day boi. 🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥

😳 Thanks, though I'm surprised, I wouldn't want to read my own posts.😆
  • krissajanee
    krissajanee Posts: 1 Member
    Body positivity is great, but not to the extremes where obese women says to little girls that it’s ok to be big and beautiful. I’m not judgemental, but it’s not right to shove candies and sit down on video games, or whatever all day long. It’s not promoting positive, it’s promoting laziness, and unethical eating (such as over eating)
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    What is unethical eating?
  • Ladywynema
    Ladywynema Posts: 3 Member
    Body positive is vastly different than being health positive. I think everyone should be happy or comfortable in their own skin. It is not for us to judge how they live or look. Besides, we never know the whole story so what right do we have to judge? If asked for advice on how to improve or form healthier habits, that's helping. But we should all be or at least try to be positive for each other.
  • koalathebear
    koalathebear Posts: 236 Member
    I'm in favour of it. Everyone's entitled to feel ok about themselves - to be able to buy clothes that fit if possible, to not be made feel ashamed of how they look. The choice to lose weight/get healthier is a decision only each individual has. I think even the healthiest person has shortcomings/bad habits that other people might not share/endorse - live and let live. I think it's pretty disgusting that people think they have the right to judge someone else for being fat and to tell them that they should lose weight. My decision to lose weight was my own - anyone trying to tell me what to do, would have been hurtful and probably quite counter productive. I don't believe that fatness is being 'glorified'. People make up their own minds about what they think looks beautiful and these days, what is beautiful is wonderfully vast and varied. People also have the information at their fingertips to also know what is healthy and that's a personal choice. I think it would be different if someone tried to force someone else to be overweight.
  • PWHF
    PWHF Posts: 221 Member
    Yes and there are feminists who believe that all heterosexual sex is rape. Their existence doesn't invalidate the feminist movement.

It's a shame the more extreme fringes of these movements tend to make the most noise and get the most attention.