Less Alcohol - OCTOBER 2019 - One Day at a Time

Replies

• HarveysBud
    HarveysBud Posts: 420 Member
    HarveysBud wrote: »
    Last night tested every ounce of my will to not stop and grab some beers - it was the start of the hockey season and I truly do not know the last time I watched a T.O. Leafs game without some Bud Lights. That said, AF ! Hope everyone had a successful day.

Those kinds of 'associations' (i.e. I always drink with this thing) are some of the hardest things to tough out, so very well done!

Thank you very much!! It is so true.
  • lilann1961
    lilann1961 Posts: 131 Member
    All you people with your "runs" and "workouts"...Me, I got no cardio...73 and COPD are my excuse. Finished stacking my winter's 3 cords, and am looking forward to getting a dead [sob] Magnolia tree cut down and into stove lengths. More stacking next week.
    The "substitution" theory that has been discussed recently finally hit home with me. The last blow was struck by @MissMay when she mentioned putting off something for years. That ugly basement that lived under my house when I moved in years ago is still living down there, and just as ugly. I used to set a timer , maybe an hour, and then start a chore I hated, promising myself I would quit when the timer went off. Most times I would see the progress and just power through til the end. Time to dust off that timer and set it for ugly basement remediation...Set it many, many times I think. Beyond, there be dragons...

Planning to test drive "moderation" again after my birthday did not go unheard by Middle Daughter. She showed up on my doorstep with a lovely basket full of cheese, sausages and all. No wine, but she offered to go fetch one if I wanted. No thanks, not yet...Y'know, all that stuff is tasting just great with AF beer. Who knew ?????

Celebrated #73 with Brie and AF Coors. Yea ME. 64 days AF this time around.

This is brilliant. I am getting a fun timer to do exactly this...my phone is boring.
  • forestdweller1
    forestdweller1 Posts: 352 Member
    @lilann1961 ...Using a timer with toddlers around is a challenge. My Irish Twins would love to re-set it, just to hear it go ding.
  • MissMay
    MissMay Posts: 3,532 Member
    edited October 2019
    Oct 1 - AF
    Oct 2 - A (after a 54 day sabbatical)

Yup I did....actually had it planned way far in advance that yesterday 🎂 would be the day. Like I mentioned not having anything for that length of time kept me in line and more in control of my count.

Welcome to the new thread posters.

So @forestdweller1 your wood cutting, hauling and stacking is certainly a workout and a half. I have done them many times so don't worry your getting tons of cardio! Good luck on your basement project I am glad to be an inspiration. LOL
    By the way are you having an October birthday too???
  • Womona
    Womona Posts: 1,582 Member
    All you people with your "runs" and "workouts"...Me, I got no cardio...73 and COPD are my excuse. Finished stacking my winter's 3 cords, and am looking forward to getting a dead [sob] Magnolia tree cut down and into stove lengths. More stacking next week.
    The "substitution" theory that has been discussed recently finally hit home with me. The last blow was struck by @MissMay when she mentioned putting off something for years. That ugly basement that lived under my house when I moved in years ago is still living down there, and just as ugly. I used to set a timer , maybe an hour, and then start a chore I hated, promising myself I would quit when the timer went off. Most times I would see the progress and just power through til the end. Time to dust off that timer and set it for ugly basement remediation...Set it many, many times I think. Beyond, there be dragons...

Planning to test drive "moderation" again after my birthday did not go unheard by Middle Daughter. She showed up on my doorstep with a lovely basket full of cheese, sausages and all. No wine, but she offered to go fetch one if I wanted. No thanks, not yet...Y'know, all that stuff is tasting just great with AF beer. Who knew ?????

Celebrated #73 with Brie and AF Coors. Yea ME. 64 days AF this time around.

Stacking wood definitely counts as a workout! You’re putting a lot of us to shame here! Haha!

I love your idea of setting a timer to start tackling basements. Lord knows I need to do the same. I’m with you on this one!
  • ellie117
    ellie117 Posts: 293 Member
    Successfully beat this month's first temptation - Wednesday night bowling league. Actually had our whole team refrain from beers this week!

Today is Friday - temptation #2. If we can make it through this weekend without caving, I think we can do it the rest of the month. Husband is not exactly thrilled to be trying this, but hopefully he'll see the benefits over time.

For casual drinkers that used to indulge every Friday/Saturday, what are some of your alternative activities you do with friends, significant others, etc that doesn't center around alcohol?
  • daweeter
    daweeter Posts: 1 Member
    So happy to have found this group! Unfortunately I'm not AF today but tomorrow will be day one! I'm gonna get through the rest of October!
  • girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,257 Member
    Well, I broke down. Am having a cold one now. A bit disappointed in myself, guess I will start back up tomorrow.

Tomorrow is a new day :heart:
  • LoveyChar
    LoveyChar Posts: 4,335 Member
    7.5 ounces last night, yes I measure every drop. It is what it is. I might have another one tonight and be done, let my husband finish the rest of the bottle.
  • MissMay
    MissMay Posts: 3,532 Member
    Well, I broke down. Am having a cold one now. A bit disappointed in myself, guess I will start back up tomorrow.

Tomorrow is a new day :heart:

I agree with @girlwithcurls2. 3 for 3 is a fantastic start. Don't sweat the small stuff😎