Lets talk Peanut butter?

Replies

• Joanna2012B
    Joanna2012B Posts: 1,448 Member
    I would never give up Peanut Butter, I just fit it into my calories.
  • jwoolman5
    jwoolman5 Posts: 191 Member
    I consider peanut butter as good food - it contributes protein, fiber, and good fat. I would advise not worrying about higher fat for the day if it is coming from plant foods rather than animal foods. All fats are not alike.

Peanut butter has always been very safe for me (I have food allergies, so that's important!). I now alternate with seed and nut butters.

You can get peanut butter with nothing added but salt or without salt entirely. I also get whole peanuts in the shell that have been roasted but are unsalted, likewise for some nut and seed butters. They don't have gobs of salt to worry about, but I like the unsalted taste.

One recent discovery is peanut or nut or seed butter on those little 0.5 gram sheets of roasted seaweed (I have Gimmee Organic ones, come in packs of ten or more sheets). I got a free pouch of squeezable almond butter and was inspired to try it (gloppy butters work most easily on those thin nori sheets) and it is really good! Messy, but tasty. I will make a little sandwich out of two sheets or roll them up. Still messy, so use a plate. I put a lot on, though, so if you use less - might be less messy.

Peanut butter etc. also goes well with any crunchy veg in sandwiches or on crackers or without a carrier. Chopped onions and carrots are wonderful with it. Also broccoli (broccoli slaw works great in sandwiches), shredded cabbage or cabbage leaves, any lettuce, and of course pickles. I prefer denser breads or pitas for such concoctions, or any kind of wrap. Coconut wraps also work even with savory. Big leaves of lettuce or cabbage can also be used for wraps.
  • healingnurtrer
    healingnurtrer Posts: 217 Member
    You aren't doing anything bad when you eat peanut butter. So why feel guilty? Maybe you are being too critical/ perfectionistic with yourself. These feelings aren't helping you, I hope you can let them go. It's ok to eat food you enjoy.

(You are probably doing this but: I would recommend weighing it on a food scale to make sure you are logging it correctly.)

Congrats on your weight loss!
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Thanks guys, I feel guilty or maybe slightly nervous is it puts me up close to my fat count for the day. That's the only reason. Thanks for all the responses.
    What's your macro split? There's nothing wrong with eating a little more fat as long as it isn't crowding out protein and other nutrients. I eat on the high side because fat is satiating for me. Sort of the opposite of a volume-eater.
  • aries68mc
    aries68mc Posts: 173 Member
    I eat a tbls occasionally. Either just straight, or will put it on celery or whole grain bread or crackers. I also make my own peanut butter, from just...peanuts! So much better than store bought, and I know what is in it.
  • VegjoyP
    VegjoyP Posts: 2,693 Member
    I am really happy to see this post. I avoid peanut butter because it's a " trigger food" however after joining MFP, I have realized the power behind a food scale and calories even though I have been doing this since I was 12!
    I agree we should not exclude things we enjoy if it fits into our regimine. Peanut butter is love! This may motivate me to go to Whole Foods and get the fresh natural in grinder.
    One thing I have found really helps keep track and makes it convenient is when I buy a jar of but butter, coconut manna, nuts and other calorie dense products I measure out portion sizes and put them in sample cups. It's like the packets of but butter at stores only less expensive.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,292 Member
    edited October 2019
    my guilty pleasure is peanut butter mixed with maple syrup. If you haven't tried this, it is incredible. Don't feel guilty. It's a good source of protein :) I too have lost 73 plus lbs so far.

not really a good source of protein. it is a good source of fat, that also has some protein. Still, don't feel guilty about it. if it fits your calorie goal, then no worries.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,724 Member
    I eat it every day, but it's a particularly difficult food to eyeball or spoon-measure accurately because it's so calorie dense. What I do it put the jar on my scale, make sure it's zeroed, then scoop out my peanut butter. The negative number on the scale is the amount I took out: Accurate, and no extra dishes to wash. (You know I'm gonna lick the spoon. ;) ).

It's fine to go over your fat macro, as long as you aren't letting it drive out needed protein or veggie/fruit servings on a regular basis. Some people find fats more satiating, so it can be helpful to them to spend any extra calories on fats rather than carbs or over-goal protein grams.

Enjoyment FTW! :)
  • xSanoura
    xSanoura Posts: 40 Member
    Personally I love peanut/almond butters! I go for a simple one (not full of additional oils/sugars).
    I keep a jar in my locker and if I’m hangry or need a pick me up, I’ll eat a spoonful.
  • littlegreenparrot1
    littlegreenparrot1 Posts: 694 Member
    Love it, we have just started making our own.
    Currently on paprika flavour, lovely and very easy.
  • OAS5
    OAS5 Posts: 374 Member
    I actually love PB Fit for different things like in protein shakes but I haven't made actual peanut butter right. I always screw it up. Anyone actually use PB2 or PB Fit to make peanut butter?
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,553 Member
    I would only use PB2 for cooking, as eaten plain it is not the same texture as real peanut butter. But PB2 as a substitute in a recipe such as Indonesian gado gado works great.
  • saintor1
    saintor1 Posts: 376 Member
    Beware of the spoon portion. I was surprised how a little one with 15g / 90 calories was.
  • kbushe3221
    kbushe3221 Posts: 176 Member
    Throughout my fat loss of 73 pounds or so my biggest guilty pleasure has been peanut butter. Typically 2 spoon fulls plain, not on bread or with jelly, just peanut butter spoon fulls. Then I kinda feel guilty and lay off for a few days or weeks. So its high in calories and fat but low in saturated fat. What is your overall take on peanut butter and losing weight? Should I feel bad after eating peanut butter a few days in a row?

Not if it fits in your calorie allowance! PB is delicious!
  • geltner1
    geltner1 Posts: 85 Member
    Seems like the consensus is to eat the peanut butter and enjoy it. It's a highly nutritious food and it can be bought 100% pure with only one ingredient; peanuts! May I add my congratulations on your valuable weight loss, Cavallaro!
  • OAS5
    OAS5 Posts: 374 Member
    Thanks guys, has some peanut butter today when I got home from work. I honestly put Peanut butter as my second favorite food, Pizza and the PB. We are going to Costco Monday and I'm gonna get Kirkland Organic peanut butter. I saw that is a super clean PB.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,724 Member
    Thanks guys, has some peanut butter today when I got home from work. I honestly put Peanut butter as my second favorite food, Pizza and the PB. We are going to Costco Monday and I'm gonna get Kirkland Organic peanut butter. I saw that is a super clean PB.

Well . . . IIRC, it's not just peanuts, or peanuts and salt. I believe it has palm oil.

I'm not saying that's necessarily a Bad Thing, but I have no idea what "clean peanut butter" would be, and I know some people object to palm oil.
  • Kupla71
    Kupla71 Posts: 1,080 Member
    This thread reminded me that I have a jar of peanut butter in the fridge and a large chocolate bar in the cupboard. Now peanut butter and chocolate is hard to turn down but I will resist! 😬
  • Katmary71
    Katmary71 Posts: 6,482 Member
    acpgee wrote: »
    I would only use PB2 for cooking, as eaten plain it is not the same texture as real peanut butter. But PB2 as a substitute in a recipe such as Indonesian gado gado works great.

I wondered if it'd work for peanut butter sauces. I've never tried powdered peanut butter but think I'd be fine with it in the house. Regular peanut butter is too tempting!