Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Thoughts on getting old vs aging

Replies

• Evamutt
    Evamutt Posts: 2,261 Member
    I turned 65 in March, always been active, even though I have arthritis (I take turmeric), I walk with my dogs, 2-5miles/d;ay & go to gym. Today I'm taking yoga class for first time. My best friend is 68, she just finished her second semester at collage for child development & is grate grandma to 3
  • Evamutt
    The turmeric paste I have everyday has helped my arthritis & tendonitis 98%, I also give it to my senior dogs, anyone else take it?
  • 33gail33
    33gail33 Posts: 1,155 Member
    Evamutt wrote: »
    The turmeric paste I have everyday has helped my arthritis & tendonitis 98%, I also give it to my senior dogs, anyone else take it?

Is this something you buy or make? Can you give me the details? I have fairly newly diagnosed arthritis in both my knees and curious about dietary interactions.
  • yukfoo
    yukfoo Posts: 871 Member
    When we stop moving...we start to rust.
  • snowshoe072
    snowshoe072 Posts: 4,453 Member
    56 coming soon bring it on I earned it!! There are times when I need to remind myself that I am in my 50’s and that’s ok I will be the grandparent that arrives by motorcycle lol! I work hard to stay healthy, eat well and my work shows me that I must continue to be nice to myself “my wellness” I am only as old as I feel today
  • snowshoe072
    snowshoe072 Posts: 4,453 Member
    ecjim wrote: »
    [r
    rosiorama wrote: »
    Sigh. I am 44 and just found out today that I have arthritis in my knee. I am really active and my knee has been slowing me down for years already. This feels like a nail in the coffin.

Wrong thread? Sorry for being a Debbie Downer. Any wisdom/advice?

The best advice is to keep moving -
    My Dad is 93 y/o -He has had arthritis problems for better then 30 years, he walks slow now, and is kind of crooked. He is just now looking into getting a handicap tag for his car. I think it might be because his girl friend uses a cane to walk & some days she needs a walker.

My advice keep moving no matter how much it hurts I have OA in both knees and refuse to have surgery. This is my pain and I know what I can do to make it better surgery does not always help. Try different exercises I found spin worked well for me and keep your weight down good luck
  • Evamutt
    33gail33 wrote: »
    Evamutt wrote: »

Is this something you buy or make? Can you give me the details? I have fairly newly diagnosed arthritis in both my knees and curious about dietary interactions.

I buy the pills through amazon for my dogs, but for myself I make paste. You can go on you tube, they often call it golden paste but It's 1 cup water, 1/2 cup turmeric powder, 1 Tsp black pepper, 1/8 cup oil(I use olive oil, but you can use coconut oil) & you can add other spices to your taste like cinnamon, honey etc, you cook the water, blk pepper & powder for few minutes & add the rest I hate the taste so I mix a heaping Tbl of it into my cashew milk & it's tolerable. I can't tell you enough how much it helps, most days I have 0-3% pain, without it I have throbbing pain. You have to put the black pepper in
  • Evamutt
    My best friend is 68, she finished her 2nd semester of college in child development, she hopes to work at or be a directer of a daycare facility. she has a boyfriend & 3 great grand kids & is full of energy
  • phred_52
    phred_52 Posts: 189 Member

Phirrgus wrote: »
    One of the most common questions I hear at family gatherings, because when I play with the kids I play like crazy :) is "Don't you know how old you are?" I usually answer "Well, yes. Yes I do." With a smile lol.

A 20 something year old friend of my daughter in law told me it was great to see the "elderly" trying to stay fit! I was mortified!

I'd like to hear others thoughts on this.
    signed,
    The 35 year old 59 year old :)

Great You still are a go, go, go individual. The "elderly" comment just had me laughing, I almost fell over. :)

I turn 58 soon, and I am the same, and as another commented, Age is just a number, for most anyway.

• Phirrgus
    Phirrgus Posts: 1,902 Member
    phred_52 wrote: »
    Phirrgus wrote: »
    One of the most common questions I hear at family gatherings, because when I play with the kids I play like crazy :) is "Don't you know how old you are?" I usually answer "Well, yes. Yes I do." With a smile lol.

A 20 something year old friend of my daughter in law told me it was great to see the "elderly" trying to stay fit! I was mortified!

I'd like to hear others thoughts on this.
    signed,
    The 35 year old 59 year old :)

Great You still are a go, go, go individual. The "elderly" comment just had me laughing, I almost fell over. :)

I turn 58 soon, and I am the same, and as another commented, Age is just a number, for most anyway.

Happy Birthday...soon lol.
  • Phirrgus
    Phirrgus Posts: 1,902 Member
    edited August 2019

FatHollis wrote: »
    I'm an older person, but I didn't know I was old until younger people started reminding me of it and defining me by my age and gray hair. Almost nothing makes me madder.

I went back to college after my husband passed away and finished a degree a year ago. I want to continue once I figure out how to pay for it. The college library staff tried to chase me out several times, saying "The library is only for current students." Somebody the other day called me a little old lady. Get over it, people. Embrace life and do what you want and stop defining other people. Encourage them - and yourself -- instead.

Condolences for your loss. And yes to the bolded. Good for you to press on.