Can I have a good physique if I add more muscle?

capc30
capc30 Posts: 32 Member
Can I have a decent physique if I put on more muscle mass or am I screwed by genetics ? I can’t tell. Been working out for 9 months had to lost weight before I stared a proper lean bulk which I’m currently on. I am 5’11 172 in this pic let me know thanks!

Replies

• Diatonic12
    Diatonic12 Posts: 32,344 Member
    Wut? I think you look great just the way you are.
  • sarko15
    sarko15 Posts: 330 Member
    Define "decent"...?
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    sarko15 wrote: »
    Define "decent"...?

Exactly. What are you looking for? You are lean and athletic now. More muscle mass?
  • capc30
    Yes mass
  • capc30
    I’ve been bulking and currently abs are kinda gone I think I bulked to fast
  • anubis609
    anubis609 Posts: 3,966 Member
    In order to blame genetics, you would have to first need to maximize your growth potential by following a proper hypertrophy lifting program for years. And by years, that would be 10+ years of effective training. You are lean and athletic as it is, but if you are looking for size, you'll have to bulk.
  • capc30
    Currently in a lean bulk now 💪🏽
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    You look great. Keep going. It can take years and years and many bulk/cut cycles to build your physique. Patience and consistency.
  • mmapags
    capc30 wrote: »
    Currently in a lean bulk now 💪🏽

For how long and at how much of a surplus?
  • capc30
    300 surplus and going for a six month
  • capc30
    Will do a cut again to level body fat back down to 12-10 then repeat process
  • capc30
    Bet I heard dr Eric helms say 3:1 ratio works to for bulking 3 months then cut for a month then repeat. So growing 9 months out the year and 3 months cut
  • wiigelec
    wiigelec Posts: 503 Member
    edited October 2019
    If you want to build mass you need to train appropriately and eat.

My opinion: you would look better and be much stronger +30# @15-20% body fat.

Not sure what your training advancement is but look to get as strong as possible on the main barbell lifts squat, bench, press and deadlift using an appropriate (beginner then) more intermediate strength program.

Andy Baker has a ton of great info on his sight when you get into the post-novice training stage:

https://www.andybaker.com/
  • mmapags
    edited October 2019

Why do you think you need to cut? You are very lean now. Sometimes the hard part of bulking is allowing yourself to get a little fluffy while building muscle. Remember, these things are a estimates.

How much did you gain over the last couple of months?
  • mom23mangos
    mom23mangos Posts: 3,070 Member
    mmapags wrote: »

Why do you think you need to cut? You are very lean now. Sometimes the hard part of bulking is allowing yourself to get a little fluffy while building muscle. Remember, these things are a estimates.

How much did you gain over the last couple of months?

I would say the same. I don't think you are at the point where you need to cut. You look great and very lean. I'd keep gaining a bit before cutting if you wanted to maximize your gains.
  • capc30
    I am flexed in the pic. My abs haven’t popped because I don’t think I’ve built them enough yet I’m leaking bulking right now. I don’t plan to cut u til 6 months at least then then reverse back to a lean bulk. I’ve been bulking for 5 weeks gains some weight slot with water and gloyogen . I’m not about 177
  • StargazerB
    StargazerB Posts: 425 Member
    I think you look great right now. If you want to be bigger I would just keep running a lean bulk and then cut later if you need to.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    edited October 2019
    Can I have a decent physique if I put on more muscle mass or am I screwed by genetics ? I can’t tell. Been working out for 9 months had to lost weight before I stared a proper lean bulk which I’m currently on. I am 5’11 172 in this pic let me know thanks!

You have to answer your own question here since you are vague with "decent physique" and "more muscle mass".

What is a decent physique to me might be adding 40 pounds and you might have a specific goal otherwise which is more important than my guess of what you want is.
  • magnusthenerd
    magnusthenerd Posts: 1,207 Member
    Even for yourself, it isn't fully an answerable question. You can't change things like insertions and what not, but until your get close to your genetic limit, there's no reliable way to know which muscles will grow for you. Someone could have delts that are naturally larger, but their delts might respond poorly to training, or might respond well at first, then hit a wall and not grow as large as someone else who starts with less impressive delts.
    Ultimately the only way to find out is to go through the process of getting there. As cliche and granola flavored as it might sound coming from me, you have to be about the journey - no one can guarantee you what the final destination is, so if the journey alone isn't worth it, find something else with your life.