finding difficult to Over head press

Replies

• jdog022 wrote: »
    jonmarrow wrote: »
    thanks everyone for your responses
    so i guess i am stuck with weak looking forearms for at least a year

My calves have looked like crap for 3 years and I train the heck out of them. My forearms grow just by looking at them. And well hammer curls. But the point is we all have genetic strengths and weaknesses AND we tend to obsess over the weaknesses. Understand the process. Understand weak points may lag for years...years not weeks or months

Genetically inferior calves crew checking in, they never grew no matter how much I trained them. I got 300lbs fat for 2 years and they stayed skinny despite carrying my fat *kitten* around. I run with a weight vest and they don't grow. I just gave up and quit isolating them months ago...they get hit during my farmers/sled push medley, as other things. That was the right move, they haven't shrunk at all.
  • jonmarrow wrote: »
    Cahgetsfit wrote: »
    OP, if you want biceps, I would recommend the following:

1. Continue on strong lifts
    2. Have patience
    3. Continue on strong lifts
    4. Have patience
    5. After a time longer than you think, when your dead lift approaches 300+ for reps (you are about the same size as me, but I'm 25 years older and 20 pounds heavier), so I know over time it will get there, add chin-ups to your routine. If you can't do them, start with either lat pull downs or a chin up "machine" that has an assistance component and work your assistance weight down. You'll get all the benefits of a curl, but you'll augment strength in your core, your back, and your shoulders.
    6. Have patience.

If you want your overhead press to improve, see above.

I think most folks who do programs like this - or similar will agree that the OHP is the slowest mover of the lifts. For me, it was always the one that stalled first and most often, that I would need to take a step back every once in a while and go ahead. It is a movement whose form is very important. Most people trip up when they do not engage their entire kinetic chain in the movement. You have to tighten everything for this lift to give the most benefit - and for your growth in it to be the most steady.

To give you an idea, my reps went up pretty steadily until I reached about 105 pounds. I failed the reps on that for 3 straight sessions. Then went back to 85 and worked back up. Passed 105 and stalled again at 120. Backed off to 100 or so, and worked back up. Lather, rinse, repeat. Now, about 1.5 years later, was repping close to 160 for 5 (before a recent car accident - which has sent back down to about 125). It is a process.

Remember that failing reps is a normal part of your progression at times. Follow what the program says about this.

This is going to take time. It takes consistent, regular work.

Have patience.

I cant have patience when i look at people like this guy https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qZ0n3N59VnM
    who have a solid physique by doing more or less the same exercises I was doing in my original routine but now I only have to stick to 3 exercises for god knows how long and no guarantee when i will see big forearms and big biceps but other people can hit the gym do all sorts of exercises and get a fit physique!

Why do I have to stick to such a boring routine? life is not fair.

You don't. It just seems like you don't actually know what you want. Stronglifts will give you strenght. Bodybuilding will "sculpt" your body and give you some strength, but not as much as powerlifting types.

That's why I bodybuild - I was the aesthetic look, and don't care if I can't lift 150kg in a deadlift.

It also gives you more opportunity to do other exercises that are not just the 3 lifts.

Oh yeah - and PATIENCE, as others have mentioned above already...

So dude - have a good think about what you actually want - what are you goals? Is it just big biceps? Well get onto a bodybuilding-type hypertrophy program then, you don't need to OHP impressive numbers to grow your biceps.

PS - OHP is hard for everyone, so suck it up and chip away at it like everyone else does.

I want STRENGTH. thats my main goal and thats why I have stuck to doing stronglifts that everyone suggested here. It's a great program so far but at the same time i dont just want to neglect sculpting of my body, especially my forearms and biceps?
    How do I sculpt my forearms and biceps that they at least look normal and strong. I dont want to just get bigger and bigger. I dont to look like a coat hanger, no thanks. I just want a good sculpted physique while having strength.

How do I sculpt my forearms and biceps while being on the stronglifts program? there, that's my question.

Build a base of strength to work with first. Then worry about crap.

But I'll answer your question anyway since your so persistent it's getting rediculous.

Go buy a doorway pull-up bar, hang it in your bathroom, and every time you walk through the door do pull-ups to failure.

Also, go buy a couple of sandbags. Go onto your side walk. Pick one up in each hand. Walk with it til you have to put it down. Then do the same thing back. Repeat.
  • Theoldguy1
    Theoldguy1 Posts: 2,427 Member
    edited October 2019
    Chieflrg wrote: »
    Chieflrg wrote: »
    When we are talking long term training over a life time (which is very important to note), I think it's reasonable to think a few weeks away is close to the end of a LP novice program. A LP novice template really isn't that important compared to any template that have auto regulation that will help with recovery and lowering injury risk. I seriously don't care what program a person uses to start as long as there is adherence and will progress to more advanced programming sooner than later.

….

Is two weeks really that important when we are talking a life time of training? I would hazard not in the least.

Good stuff.

I remember one of the things that inspired me as an older lifter (I had not ever done a progressive overload - or any other structured program), was an article written by Jonathon Sullivan when he talked about the correlation between lack of strength and mortality. In it, he stated more than once "If I could get someone under a bar I could change their life". Of course it doesn't really have to be a barbell, but it's probably the best place to start because of its simplicity in dosing.

Anyway, the bigger picture is that once a person realizes and puts to use the benefits of strength training, I cannot imagine how it would not lead to a lifetime of doing so.

Same here bud. There is vast evidence that strength training decreases mortality and increases quality of life.

Hence my next move will involve focusing on training the advanced age people pro bono.[/quote]

Great service. It's my understanding one of the biggest reasons people are in nursing homes is the inability to do a squat (get off the toilet).
  • Theoldguy1
    Theoldguy1 Posts: 2,427 Member

2. Have patience
    4. Have patience
    5. After a time longer than you think, when your dead lift approaches 300+ for reps (you are about the same size as me, but I'm 25 years older and 20 pounds heavier), so I know over time it will get there, add chin-ups to your routine. If you can't do them, start with either lat pull downs or a chin up "machine" that has an assistance component and work your assistance weight down. You'll get all the benefits of a curl, but you'll augment strength in your core, your back, and your shoulders.
    6. Have patience.

I think most folks who do programs like this - or similar will agree that the OHP is the slowest mover of the lifts. For me, it was always the one that stalled first and most often, that I would need to take a step back every once in a while and go ahead. It is a movement whose form is very important. Most people trip up when they do not engage their entire kinetic chain in the movement. You have to tighten everything for this lift to give the most benefit - and for your growth in it to be the most steady.

To give you an idea, my reps went up pretty steadily until I reached about 105 pounds. I failed the reps on that for 3 straight sessions. Then went back to 85 and worked back up. Passed 105 and stalled again at 120. Backed off to 100 or so, and worked back up. Lather, rinse, repeat. Now, about 1.5 years later, was repping close to 160 for 5 (before a recent car accident - which has sent back down to about 125). It is a process.

Remember that failing reps is a normal part of your progression at times. Follow what the program says about this.

Have patience.

I cant have patience when i look at people like this guy https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qZ0n3N59VnM
    who have a solid physique by doing more or less the same exercises I was doing in my original routine but now I only have to stick to 3 exercises for god knows how long and no guarantee when i will see big forearms and big biceps but other people can hit the gym do all sorts of exercises and get a fit physique!

You don't. It just seems like you don't actually know what you want. Stronglifts will give you strenght. Bodybuilding will "sculpt" your body and give you some strength, but not as much as powerlifting types.

That's why I bodybuild - I was the aesthetic look, and don't care if I can't lift 150kg in a deadlift.

It also gives you more opportunity to do other exercises that are not just the 3 lifts.

So dude - have a good think about what you actually want - what are you goals? Is it just big biceps? Well get onto a bodybuilding-type hypertrophy program then, you don't need to OHP impressive numbers to grow your biceps.

PS - OHP is hard for everyone, so suck it up and chip away at it like everyone else does.

I want STRENGTH. thats my main goal and thats why I have stuck to doing stronglifts that everyone suggested here. It's a great program so far but at the same time i dont just want to neglect sculpting of my body, especially my forearms and biceps?
    How do I sculpt my forearms and biceps that they at least look normal and strong. I dont want to just get bigger and bigger. I dont to look like a coat hanger, no thanks. I just want a good sculpted physique while having strength.

How do I sculpt my forearms and biceps while being on the stronglifts program? there, that's my question.

But I'll answer your question anyway since your so persistent it's getting rediculous.

Go buy a doorway pull-up bar, hang it in your bathroom, and every time you walk through the door do pull-ups to failure.

Also, go buy a couple of sandbags. Go onto your side walk. Pick one up in each hand. Walk with it til you have to put it down. Then do the same thing back. Repeat.

Thank you i was going to say the same thing. Maybe add after you've done pull ups to failure dead hang as long as you can.

I have read many well respected strength and conditioning people will say one shouldn't be messing with isolated bicep and grip work until the have mastered pullups.

Farmer walks are geeat also.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,843 Member
    so i recently started doing stronglifts, thanks everyone for the suggestion. its helping me a lot.
    i have some questions:

-when will i start seeing my biceps getting bigger?
    -my sleep has drastically improved ever since i started this program, in fact too much to the point dont want to get up for work. is this a normal benefit?
    -i am having difficulty doing OP. The basic premise for me to do this program was that I would gain strength and become stronger. I am noticing slight increases in strength with all other works that are part of this program such as squats, bench press etc. EXCEPT for over head press.
    Last time I had to do 60 lbs of over head. I was able to do it but it took a lot from me. Took a lot of effort.
    So to others who started this program, did you face this challenge and how did you overcome it?

@jonmarrow maybe I've missed it, but I didn't see you talking about your actual workouts since your OP on Sept 27. Have you been working out this week? How's it been going?
  • Theoldguy1 wrote: »

2. Have patience
    4. Have patience
    6. Have patience.

Have patience.

Thank you i was going to say the same thing. Maybe add after you've done pull ups to failure dead hang as long as you can.

I have read many well respected strength and conditioning people will say one shouldn't be messing with isolated bicep and grip work until the have mastered pullups.

The only caveat I would add to that is that if a person is OBESE, some curls and lat pulls could help them until they get strong enough/lose enough weight to do pull-ups.
  • fitpal02020
    fitpal02020 Posts: 193 Member
    Theoldguy1 wrote: »

2. Have patience
    4. Have patience
    6. Have patience.

Have patience.

ok what do you mean " Maybe add after you've done pull ups to failure dead hang as long as you can." ? this sentence doesnt make sense to me.

u mean its better to incorporporate other isolated exercises for forearms and biceps?
  • fitpal02020
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    so i recently started doing stronglifts, thanks everyone for the suggestion. its helping me a lot.
    i have some questions:

-my sleep has drastically improved ever since i started this program, in fact too much to the point dont want to get up for work. is this a normal benefit?
    -i am having difficulty doing OP. The basic premise for me to do this program was that I would gain strength and become stronger. I am noticing slight increases in strength with all other works that are part of this program such as squats, bench press etc. EXCEPT for over head press.
    Last time I had to do 60 lbs of over head. I was able to do it but it took a lot from me. Took a lot of effort.
    So to others who started this program, did you face this challenge and how did you overcome it?

@jonmarrow maybe I've missed it, but I didn't see you talking about your actual workouts since your OP on Sept 27. Have you been working out this week? How's it been going?

yes I am happy to share my progress. However, my main concern, which is why opened this discussion seems to have been lost in translation and would appreciate if someone could suggest how I should modify my routine in order to move further in this program:

LAST WORKOUTS:

Friday, 4th October 2019:

-Squats: 105 lbs
    5x5
    -*Overhead press: 65 lbs----3x5, 2x4
    -Deadlift: 145 lbs
    1x5

Wednesday, 2nd October 2019:

-Squats: 95 lbs
    5x5
    -BenchPress: 85 lbs
    5x5
    -Barbell Row: 95 lbs
    5x5

As you can see from the above the problem for me is **Overhead press. Cleary I am not good at this. I was able to 3 sets of 5 reps each some what successfully but the time i got to 4 and 5, I couldn't pull bar all the way up for the 5th rep. Hence for last 2 sets I was only able to do 4 reps.
    I dont know what's wrong with me. For some reason I am not able to do overhead presses. What could this be an indication of? weak arms? weak shoulders? How do I work on this weakness?
    How do I move forward with this program now that I have learned that I am unable to do overhead press beyond 65 lbs?

• fitpal02020
    edited October 2019
    i have some questions:

yes I am happy to share my progress. However, my main concern, which is why opened this discussion seems to have been lost in translation and would appreciate if someone could suggest how I should modify my routine in order to move further in this program:

LAST WORKOUTS:

-Squats: 105 lbs-5x5
    -*Overhead press: 65 lbs-3x5, 2x4
    -Deadlift: 145 lbs-1x5

-Squats: 95 lbs-5x5
    -BenchPress: 85 lbs-5x5
    -Barbell Row: 95 lbs-5x5

As you can see from the above the problem for me is *Overhead press. Cleary I am not good at this. I was able to 3 sets of 5 reps each some what successfully but the time i got to 4 and 5, I couldn't pull bar all the way up for the 5th rep. Hence for last 2 sets I was only able to do 4 reps.
    I dont know what's wrong with me. For some reason I am not able to do overhead presses. What could this be an indication of? weak arms? weak shoulders? How do I work on this weakness?
    How do I move forward with this program now that I have learned that I am unable to do overhead press beyond 65 lbs?

• wiigelec
    wiigelec Posts: 503 Member
    Also a video of your press would help identify any form issues that may be hindering your progress...
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,292 Member
    i have some questions:

LAST WORKOUTS:

As you can see from the above the problem for me is *Overhead press. Cleary I am not good at this. I was able to 3 sets of 5 reps each some what successfully but the time i got to 4 and 5, I couldn't pull bar all the way up for the 5th rep. Hence for last 2 sets I was only able to do 4 reps.

For OHP, lower the weight back down to 55, if you gext 5x5, go to go 60, if you fail on 65 two tines in a row (2 workouts in a row, not 2 sets), then drop do 55 again and work back up, ots called deloading. Another optikn is get microbplates 1.25 lbs each and increasebthe weight by 2.5 lbs/workout instead if 5lbs
  • fitpal02020
    i have some questions:

LAST WORKOUTS:

so you are benching 85lbs now when before you couldn't do just the bar? shouldn't you be thrilled by this??

yes but i am talking about OHP
This discussion has been closed.