Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

"Diet Face" - should we choose face over body or vice versa?

SnifterPug
SnifterPug Posts: 746 Member
https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/jenni-murray-warns-of-diet-face-8k2pkd0h0

Dame Jeni Murray has lost four stone following bariatric surgery and diabetic symptoms have gone into remission. Good for her!

She has now announced she is happy to weigh 14 stone because she does not want to develop "diet face". At her height (6 foot) she's still overweight by BMI standards and she doesn't strike me as a gym bunny who is carrying the weight as muscle.

So long as she's happy how she is, that's great, of course.

But I'm interested to see how others view the issue of diet face. Would you prefer to have the physique you want, at the possible expense of your facial looks? Or would you compromise on the body in order to keep your face looking better? Would you prefer your significant other to have the perfect body or the perfect face (assuming they can't have both)?

Replies

• ku140
    ku140 Posts: 65 Member
    To answer your question, I would rather my face look healthy and my body look like it needs some toning. Same with my husband.

I was essentially here at my ideal weight, which I sustained for about 8 years. I looked pretty strong and fit, even if I didn't have a 6 pack and my thighs touch.
  • gatamadriz
    gatamadriz Posts: 68 Member
    My face tends to even out when I am at a correct BMI and feel good. I also worked intensely with both a personal trainer and nutritionist for 3 years. I was trying to get down to my college weight and they said no. I was 16 pounds heavier due to muscle mass, which I gain very quickly. It all evens out, there are medical procedures if you develop sags on your neck for example, but that is inherent to my family.
  • watts6151
    watts6151 Posts: 887 Member
    When Deep In to a cut I’ve had customers
    Pull me to one side and ask if I’m terminal !!!

Been very lean really doesn’t look great facially on me, I usually grow my facial hair to hide the sunken cheeks, just need to figure out how to hide the hole eyed look
  • Safari_Gal_
    Safari_Gal_ Posts: 1,461 Member
    Oh @SnifterPug - this is timely for me. I’d chose a more youthful face personally. Not sure how much of that is influenced by the fact that I come from a family of dermatologists though! Lol .

I actually started my health quest primarily as a way to keep my skin more supple and stave off premature aging. Losing weight was a side note for me. 🤷🏼‍♀️
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    what is diet face

That was my question as well. The pay wall cut off any part of the article that may have explained what it is.
  • nooshi713
    nooshi713 Posts: 4,877 Member
    I felt I looked older when I was chubbier tbh. My face has always been round.

If I had to choose, I would choose face over body.
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    Body over face for me