Flavors of Childhood?

Replies

• pancakerunner
    pancakerunner Posts: 6,137 Member
    glassyo wrote: »
    I NEED TO GET OFF THIS THREAD. getting too many feels.

Like yummy, bingey, all these foods look good feels???

Cuz this thread, the new products thread, and the if it didn't have calories (which I ALWAYS read as if *I* didn't have calories) thread need to just....get in mah belly.
    My three favorite threads LOL

LOL the only ones I follow
  • pancakerunner
    skee6lvl3d9n.jpg
  • MoxyLeigh
    MoxyLeigh Posts: 433 Member
    Somebody just had to say choco taco...
    choco-taco-ice-cream.png?x95947
  • pancakerunner
    MoxyLeigh wrote: »
    Somebody just had to say choco taco...
    choco-taco-ice-cream.png?x95947

not a fan!
  • 777Gemma888
    777Gemma888 Posts: 9,578 Member
    npbz82zd1aiy.png

Usually freshly baked white bread loaf from the bakery, Anchor butter, fresh tomatoes from the backyard, sprinkle of salt with hot hot Chai. Pre-teen holiday breakfast and snack. If the avocado trees were ready @ripened fruit, we would add that too. Bread was never toasted. Nor cheese added. No broiler was used.

• 777Gemma888
    edited October 2019
    16oo0vmsxx5p.png

Fire roasted ripened breadfruit and its toasty earthy seeds. My maternal grandfather would treat us to his roasts on his breadfruit farm or from his 6 trees he brought via seedlings when he moved to the City when he bought his home near the University in 1970 when my mum was accepted as one of the pioneer students, because we were always so good at guarding the trees saved for export harvests and not for subsistence uses, with our sling shots, keeping those pesky fruit bats away. I preferred it over chocolate or ice cream or Indian shaved ice.
  • pancakerunner
    lro0dvoy0nu6.png
  • pancakerunner
    tgezmbu1abo6.png
  • vanityy99
    vanityy99 Posts: 2,583 Member
    djpl1hxlsbag.png

My maternal grandfather always planted sugarcane in his city backyard lot. Pre tropical cyclones or hurricanes, the temperatures are excessively hot. This was usually when we would trim the bush and slice off the sugarcane. You would then use your teeth to peel off the outer layer of barky waxy skin. You need to bite chunks off, then chew through extracting juices into your mouth, discarding the cordages and intermittent hard inedible stumps.

Girl you just gave me major nostalgia.
  • SuzySunshine99
    SuzySunshine99 Posts: 2,983 Member
    2axkfvtapsn4.jpg
  • pancakerunner
    2axkfvtapsn4.jpg

I was the weird kid who never liked these.
  • pancakerunner
    jwcxua18m1o6.jpg
  • pancakerunner
    rub2dnme7od7.png
  • 777Gemma888
    0o8b2upl1kq1.png
  • Luke_rabbit
    Luke_rabbit Posts: 1,031 Member
    Government cheese. Lots of my siblings turned up their noses at it, which meant more for me! I loved grilled cheese made with that cheese and pickles (usually homemade pickles).

My dad's homemade root beer - made with real cane sugar, I bet.

Snack cakes have always been my kryptonite - they are the one food I never eat now - but I remember the original Drake brand (before the name was sold to someone else) as being some of the best and whoever made the Banana Flip was a genius.

Fresh peas, pods included, from my grandmother's garden. I would eat any vegetable straight from the garden if no one stopped me, but her peas we're magic.

Blackberries picked while out roaming - so good!

Tuna spaghetti with green olives! My favorite of my mom's meals.
  • pancakerunner
    gdv143iybbxh.png
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    I don't actually like those Trolli peach gummi candies but OMG the Haribo ones...such a favorite. In junior high school, my friends and I would get dropped off at the mall on Friday nights and buy them in bulk and have them for dinner. We spent the food money our parents gave us on cassettes and cds.
  • 777Gemma888
    edited October 2019
    I don't actually like those Trolli peach gummi candies but OMG the Haribo ones...such a favorite. In junior high school, my friends and I would get dropped off at the mall on Friday nights and buy them in bulk and have them for dinner. We spent the food money our parents gave us on cassettes and cds.

hcrx2nuiy276.png

My friends and I would buy gummy strawberries from the mall (candy store bins like Dylan's Candy Bar), rent a video and eat them whilst viewing on Overnight weekends. We weren't really into popcorn - strange, as we would buy it if we were at the movies. It's filling, as I remember them... Real food was rarely on the menu of edibles on those movie nights.

* Or listening to dubbed cassette tapes from boys and playing with my friend's rabbits and token guinea pig.
    * CD's. .. What a Godsend those were at the time.
  • pancakerunner

That reminds me of these...

kg8bjor7a6pz.png