Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Is it safe for teens to have coffee in moderation

Yep. 1 cup a day. Is it safe for teens? Ik coffee has health benefits in adults. Does it apply to teens to?

Replies

• eyestothesky22
    eyestothesky22 Posts: 4 Member
    Yep. 1 cup a day. Is it safe for teens? Ik coffee has health benefits in adults. Does it apply to teens to?

*too. Sorry about my grammar. I swear I'm usually better than this.
  • LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,964 Member
    What health benefits does coffee provide?

I'm not a coffee drinker. It's a migraine trigger for me.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Here's an interesting article - focusing on section 9.0:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2699625/

I wouldn't imagine any real harmful effects from a cup/daily, but would limit it at that. I've allowed it on special occasions, largely to make it out as a special treat linked to a special circumstance or event.
  • Kereru44
    Kereru44 Posts: 28 Member
    I went to professional development this week with nathan mikaere Wallace who studies the brain. And he said that teens shouldn't drink coffee because their brains aren't fully developed. The female brain is fully developed between roughly 18 to 23 years old.
  • J_NY_Z
    J_NY_Z Posts: 2,535 Member
    I guess it would depend on the amount consumed. Since younger people need more restful sleep than adults, the temporary alerting of brain chemistry could be a detriment. Naturally the amount of adenosine increases throughout the day to the point that your brain says "alright, its sleep time". Consuming too much caffeine increases the likelihood that the caffeine will attach itself to the adenosine receptors and not allowing the buildup of the sleep inducing chemical.

I would say of course its up to parents and their discretion. But in my opinion, too much sugar and/or caffeine will not help young people.

Sources:

-Why We Sleep: Unlocking the Power of Sleep and Dreams by Walker PhD, Matthew
    -https://thebrain.mcgill.ca/flash/i/i_03/i_03_m/i_03_m_par/i_03_m_par_cafeine.html
  • Theoldguy1
    Theoldguy1 Posts: 2,454 Member
    edited October 2019
    From the article linked:

For kids and teens, the American Academy of Pediatrics suggests caution. Adolescents ages 12 to 18 should cap daily caffeine intake at 100 mg (the equivalent of about one cup of coffee, one to two cups of tea, or two to three cans of soda). For children under 12, there’s no designated safe threshold.

https://healthblog.uofmhealth.org/childrens-health/parents-perk-up-to-dangers-of-caffeine-for-teens

IMO, most kids are going to get more than the recommended caffeine amount from soda, energy drinks, etc, not reason for a parent to encourage coffee drinking due to some potential minor health benefits.

• mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    meh. i've had coffee as a child. maybe not daily but weekly.
    my stepdaughter has had coffee a few times a week since she was 12ish.
    it doesn't seem to have an effect on us.
    but that's just anecdotal
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Most teenagers drink soda. Why would coffee be any different?
  • J_NY_Z
    J_NY_Z Posts: 2,535 Member
    Coffee is different because its caffeine per unit volume is roughly 3 times what it is in soda.
  • youngmomtaz
    youngmomtaz Posts: 1,075 Member
    Both my younger sons like coffee and espresso. Both will drink it 3-5 times a week. Each are also on the borderline of being diagnosed with attention deficit disorder. The 16yo notices a marked difference in his ability to focus for his first two classes of the day after a mug of coffee. The 11yo, not so much yet but he is learning how to assess his body and probably is just unaware. There is a study or two stating the same; that caffeine in small doses can aid young people with their ability to focus. Unfortunately, for the son it benefits, he tends to lose good portable coffee mugs and also hates waking up more than 5min before his bus arrives so he only sees the good of coffee if he buys a cup or happens to drag himself out of bed earlier to get some. BTW, their doc has no issues with a cup a day or even part of an energy drink once in a while.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    LyndaBSS wrote: »
    What health benefits does coffee provide?

I'm not a coffee drinker. It's a migraine trigger for me.

Coffee is packed with antioxidants.
  • girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,257 Member
    Both my younger sons like coffee and espresso. Both will drink it 3-5 times a week. Each are also on the borderline of being diagnosed with attention deficit disorder. The 16yo notices a marked difference in his ability to focus for his first two classes of the day after a mug of coffee. The 11yo, not so much yet but he is learning how to assess his body and probably is just unaware. There is a study or two stating the same; that caffeine in small doses can aid young people with their ability to focus. Unfortunately, for the son it benefits, he tends to lose good portable coffee mugs and also hates waking up more than 5min before his bus arrives so he only sees the good of coffee if he buys a cup or happens to drag himself out of bed earlier to get some. BTW, their doc has no issues with a cup a day or even part of an energy drink once in a while.

I remember learning about the positive effects of moderate caffeine for kids with ADHD when I was in grad school 30 years ago. There weren't any studies out yet, but the anecdotal evidence was compelling.

My three kids all had caffeine from coffee or black tea throughout high school. I highly doubt it did anything to their undeveloped brains. We have much bigger fish to fry with teen brains IMO.
  • Theoldguy1

Given the medical advice regarding kids and caffeine I'd find another doctor, mot one that says unregulated amounts of caffeine are okay.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    I think a little coffee is probably better than soda, as long as it's not loaded with cream and sugar. A little milk in it can provide a little nutrition boost.
  • Theoldguy1
    LAT1963 wrote: »
    like for adults, caffeine can disrupt sleep cycles. If they keep their coffee drinking to before noon or so it should wear off before bedtime. If I had kids I'd rather they grab a latte than a red bull.

Or how about neither.