For the love of Produce...

Replies

• acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,551 Member
    The fourth crop of fava bean shoots is starting to look pathetic. I think I will plant some pea shoots again next. Will throw these into Vietnamese watercress soup tonight.
    wlczpqlszbzv.jpg
  • Safari_Gal_
    Safari_Gal_ Posts: 1,461 Member
    just_Tomek wrote: »
    Cause I went shopping today and when I took it all out it looked pretty.

xpc3pr5djt1o.jpg

😮 ooooooh send some of that pretty purple cauliflower east please!!!
  • Safari_Gal_
    mtaratoot wrote: »
    I was tickled pink (purple actually) that two of my fig trees are still giving me gifts of ripe fruit!

hj9xebw9cax5.jpg

zork75vf6et9.jpg

@mtaratoot
    Did someone say FIGS!!? 💕
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,899 Member
    edited October 2019
    I'm at that time of year when I'm overrun with winter squash, so fun and tasty ideas (besides giving up and using the extras as decorations) are welcome!
  • Safari_Gal_
    lemurcat2 wrote: »
    I'm at that time of year when I'm overrun with winter squash, so fun and tasty ideas (besides giving up and using the extras as decorations) are welcome!

Hey @lemurcat2 - this is my fav winter squash recipe/ I forgot where I got this from a long time ago..😇

🍁 Autumn Stuffed Squash. I use left over greens, cheese, sausage, apple... You can change it up and vary quite a bit! I like a mix of sweet and savory- so gruyere has a nice flavor with the apple and meat..

I also sometimes use leftover stuffing in this recipe!

fnsyenjw0f1s.jpeg

2 squash, cut in half through the stem and seeded
    2 teaspoons olive oil, plus more for rubbing the squash and oiling the dish
    3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
    6 ounces chorizo or sweet sausage, crumbled or cut into small pieces
    1 cup chopped leeks (1 small leek) or scallions
    1 cup chopped apple (1 to 2 apples)
    Freshly ground pepper
    2 cups sliced tender greens (spinach, tatsoi, kale, Swiss chard), cut into ribbons
    4 fresh sage leaves, coarsely chopped
    2 cups cooked millet, rice, cauli rice or quinoa
    1/2 cup grated Cheddar or gruyere cheese

1. Preheat the oven to 375° F. Rub the flesh of each squash half with olive oil, and oil an ovenproof dish or baking sheet. Sprinkle the whole baking dish with 1/2 teaspoon of the salt. Lay the squash flesh side down in the dish and bake until it is very tender when pricked with a fork, 30 to 40 minutes. Remove the squash from the oven and raise the oven temperature to 425°F.

2. Meanwhile, heat the remaining olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the chorizo and fry until browned. Remove from the pan and set aside. Add the leeks/scallions to the hot oil and cook until soft, about 3 minutes. Add the apple, remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt, and pepper, and cook for another minute. Add the greens, sage, cooked grains, and reserved chorizo. Cook for another minute, stirring to combine, and remove from heat. Taste, and adjust the salt and pepper if needed.

3. Turn the cooked squash over in the baking dish so it is flesh side up. (Be careful, as steam will escape when you turn it.) Scoop the filling into the cavity of each squash half, piling it into a mountain so that it holds as much as possible. Sprinkle with cheese and bake until the cheese melts, about 10 minutes.

🤗
  • lemurcat2
    Thanks! Looks yum.
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    just_Tomek wrote: »

Please share the recipe for the mushrooms.

The collection is called "Appetite for Reduction." ngfeu508pa1r.jpg
  • Glens_Life
    Glens_Life Posts: 32 Member
    It all looks delicious! I’m a fan of onion and any veggies except a few I will have to try and make to see if my tastes have changed. Fruit of any type I enjoy. I’ve been on a blueberry kick lately blended in a protein shake.
  • acpgee
    On thursday night i used the method recommended by @Ig013 for making hollandaise for dipping steamed artichokes into. Don't believe the conventional wisdom that you can't re-heat hollandaise sauce. Add a teaspoon or two of water on top and microwave on the lowest setting for a minute. Stir in the water. Leftover hollandaise was great on roast potatoes.
  • nooshi713
    nooshi713 Posts: 4,877 Member
    acpgee wrote: »
    The last of the fava shoots ended up being used in Chinese olive vegetable fried rice instead.
    s60fxeh9geok.jpeg
    mtaratoot wrote: »
    I was tickled pink (purple actually) that two of my fig trees are still giving me gifts of ripe fruit!

hj9xebw9cax5.jpg

zork75vf6et9.jpg

Looks wonderful
  • Katmary71
    Katmary71 Posts: 6,473 Member
    Glens_Life wrote: »
    It all looks delicious! I’m a fan of onion and any veggies except a few I will have to try and make to see if my tastes have changed. Fruit of any type I enjoy. I’ve been on a blueberry kick lately blended in a protein shake.

I'm the same way, there's only a few things I don't like though other people love them, like avocados, coconut, celery, and beets. I recently got beets in my Imperfect produce box so I'll be trying them again! I have a blueberry weakness, especially frozen ones eaten with a spoon.
  • mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 12,930 Member
    I'm not really sure mushrooms are "produce" even though they are in the produce section of the store. They seem like so much more than that. They aren't plants. They aren't animals, either, but they are more closely related to animals than to plants. They are such an awesome kingdom, making associations with plants for mutual benefit. The largest organism known on Earth is a mushroom in Oregon -- it's 2,385 acres (965 hectares). And my they are beautiful, and some are tasty. Produce or not, I love 'em.

I Went stomping around the forest today in search of chanterelles and boletes. I found a few chanterelles — fewer than I expected considering how I beat the brush. It’s a popular spot and was probably picked over pretty good over the weekend. I did eventually find a few patches once I started wandering into the shiggy that other folks didn't want to bushwhack through.

istpzqttvobr.jpg

I also found a couple boletes, but not kings or queens. They were Boletus fibrillosus. Arora says, “edible and fairly good, but certainly not the equal of B. Edulis or B. aeries.” Mine are full of maggots. I might not cook them.

wikx6dp045f5.jpg

I also found winter chanterelles— too early for them really. I also found a white Hedgehog mushroom. Also too early. I saw lots of cats tongue. They are cute and edible, but not much to them.

I found LOTS of lobster mushrooms. I will cook some and give some away. What a pain to clean, but tasty! There were so many lobstr mushrooms... I found some right away, and they are HEAVY. I decided when I was at a trail junction to just go ahead and hike back to the truck and drop off the lobsters so I didn't have to bounce them around in my bucket, and so I didn't have to tote them. They really are dense. About half will be waste; they are notoriously dirty, rotten, and full of maggots.

4iorq2bsif0w.jpg

It was good to be in the forest. It was quiet aside from the wind and the creaking of the trees. I saw two guys on bikes and that was it. There was one vehicle at the place I park; the cyclists had parked about a mile down from there. On my way out, a truck with three more mountain bikers was on the way up. Otherwise... had the forest to myself. Very nice. Would have been nice to see more boletes.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 wrote: »

Hey @lemurcat2 - this is my fav winter squash recipe/ I forgot where I got this from a long time ago..😇

🍁 Autumn Stuffed Squash. I use left over greens, cheese, sausage, apple... You can change it up and vary quite a bit! I like a mix of sweet and savory- so gruyere has a nice flavor with the apple and meat..
    🤗

I made this last night -- used some spicy sausage, an apple, and onion, mushroom, red pepper, chard, plus a little parmigiano-reggiano, ingredients based on what I had on hand and needed to use up. Delicious! Thanks for the idea, I'll have to try out some other combinations too.
  • acpgee
    Quick pickles for tonight's glass noodle salad.
    s8c419p811ys.jpeg
  • Katmary71
    Katmary71 Posts: 6,473 Member
    2icmsgl4ew9a.jpeg
    This is my first time ever cooking butternut squash

I'm having butternut squash too! I'm having it with broccoli and brussel sprouts.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,717 Member
    Katmary71 wrote: »
    2icmsgl4ew9a.jpeg
    This is my first time ever cooking butternut squash

I'm having butternut squash too! I'm having it with broccoli and brussel sprouts.

I had squash tonight, too, but the tail end of last year's frozen Georgia Candy Roaster, and with some sweet white miso mixed in. (Love it that way.)

Rest of dinner: Big salad with mixed greens, radishes, hakurei turnips, sugar snap peas, mixed heirloom cherry tomatoes, dressed with some white wine vinegar and herb salt; Ezekial tortilla with mustard, mozzarella, smoked tofu, raw sauerkraut; guavas and pawpaw for dessert.