If Every Day Were Like Today

2323FatBoy
2323FatBoy Posts: 33 Member
edited October 2019 in Health and Weight Loss
Can I ask for your thoughts on “If Every Day Were Like Today” projections. Do you find it accurate?

David

Replies

• Strudders67
    Strudders67 Posts: 978 Member
    No. In my case, every day won't be like today. I'm sure it's supposed to be motivational but, in 5 weeks when you don't weigh whatever was projected, people can (and do) get disappointed.
  • LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,970 Member
    Consider it the joke of the day. 😂
  • brenn24179
    brenn24179 Posts: 2,144 Member
    no, never works for me
  • MalkinMagic71
    MalkinMagic71 Posts: 1,433 Member
    Useless.
  • LAT1963
    LAT1963 Posts: 1,375 Member
    nope. not accurate.
  • geraldaltman
    geraldaltman Posts: 1,739 Member
    If anything, it's a motivator to keep on the right track if under or at calorie/nutrient goals or make adjustments if not. The real numbers to mind come under 'Progress' on MFP and the lab results your doctor reads back to you during your check-ups.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,717 Member
    It will be correct if:

1. You were absolutely precise in all the entries you put in your MFP profile.
    2. MFP's calorie estimate, a statistical estimate based on research studies of large groups of people, is exactly correct for you based on those values in your profile (i.e., you are the averagest of average people).
    3. You log your food completely accurately, including things you had no way to measure.
    4. You log your exercise completely accurately, and eat every bit of it back.
    5. Your daily non-exercise activity is exactly the same as on that day, including steps, chores, what you did at work, twitchiness, etc.
    6. Your daily non-exercise activity is exactly the same as what's defined into the profile category you picked ("sedentary", "lightly active", etc.)
    7. You have not overridden your MFP-estimated calorie goal with a custom value.
    8. You have not had an over-goal day, "cheat meal", or anything of that nature in the whole 5 weeks.
    -and-
    9. Probably some other stuff I'm forgetting, frankly.

What do you think the odds are? I'm guessing approximately zero likelihood.

On the other hand, if you're pretty average, pretty consistent, and stick to that for 5 weeks, it might be somewhere roughly in the neighborhood. And even if it isn't, odds are excellent that you'll make good progress toward your goal.

Either way, not worth worrying about. ;)

Welcome, and best wishes! :flowerforyou:

P.S. For me, it predicts loss slower than my actual loss, even though I have my activity level set higher than reality in my profile. Go figure.
  • Katmary71
    Katmary71 Posts: 6,473 Member
    I don't pay attention to it anymore, it's never been right even when I do everything about the same.
  • Lobsterboxtops
    Lobsterboxtops Posts: 92 Member
    I kind of like it, even if I don’t necessarily believe it. In 5 weeks I won’t remember what number it gave me so I can’t really say I take much stock in it. But as others have said it’s a little reminder of where I want to go and that I’m on the right track to get there. The nag msg if I have a bad eating day and go under 1200 is also a good reminder that I need to work for consistency.

People use all sorts of motivation to help them, I figure this is one available in the arsenal to use or dismiss.

• aries68mc
    aries68mc Posts: 173 Member
    I don't pay any attention to it.
  • caprihana
    caprihana Posts: 38 Member
    It's a good motivator but it isn't true :-)
  • shellywelly123
    shellywelly123 Posts: 159 Member
    I like it, it makes me feel good when I see the figure going down
  • mij140
    mij140 Posts: 19 Member
    I never close my diary because I don’t find their predictions to be accurate. Sometimes you go over and sometimes you go under. I just don’t obsess over it.