returning to lifting after surgery.

Options
I had inguinal hernia repair laparoscopically 1 month ago and I have the green light from my surgeon to begin lifting again. My plan is to begin stronglifts 5x5 at 50% to 60% (wherever round plate math happens) of my pre injury tested 1rms.
squat 365= 185x5
bench 235= 135x5
OHP 175= 90
deadlift 435=225
bb row 225= 135

My question to you all is what assistance exercises I can easily accomplish in a well equipped home gym for each workout.

Workout A Squat bench row
Workout B squat, Ohp, deadlift

I'd also like to focus on some lower ab stuff to strengthen the area around the hernia repair so any suggestions for this would be much appreciated.

Replies

• gradchica27
    gradchica27 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    Can’t help with the accessory stuff, but just a suggestion for taking your first week as a slow start. I am 5 weeks out from a laparoscopic gallbladder removal and I’ve taken two weeks to ramp up and am just now hitting 50-60% of most of my big lifts. Still only around 40% for DL, but about 60% for bench and squat. So not all lifts will progress at the same pace.

I’ve been trying to be cautious, as my main incision is still protruding and I’ve backed off when something feels off in my abdomen. Unfortunately for me that’s been taking longer to go away than I’d like, especially for overhead lifts and anything where I’m stretching over my head (so lat pull downs, even bench if I position myself too far away, haven’t even tried pull-ups/chin-ups yet based on that feeling).

Anyway, just throwing out that my plan to get back to it has been taking longer than expected/hoped for, but I’m trying to listen tell myself better show than waiting for a hernia repair and starting over.
  • firef1y72
    firef1y72 Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    I had an umbilical hernia repair several years ago, had similar timeframe before restarting lifting. (Was actually allowed to start exercising just over a week after the surgery but no weights and only light cardio)
    I would suggest restarting almost from nothing, listening to your body as you go. I actually went back down to a measly 7.5kg bar the first week back and then built up from there taking the chance to really work on form
  • steph2strong
    steph2strong Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    Number one you need to focus on core strengthening. After abdominal/pelvic surgery and the resultant recovery time your core is going to be considerably weakened. A weak core may have also contributed to the initial hernia development as well. Plank knee crosses, plank shoulder taps, glute bridges, leg raises, plank elbow twists, V-ups, V-sits, Superman pull, hollow man. The core is where all our strength, power and stability originates from, without a solid core you won't be able to lift as heavy as you potentially could and you risk further injuries int he future. Start incredibly light with basic strength training, focussing on form and target muscle activation, progress according to how you feel. There's no harm in starting cautiously and feeling likes its too easy, versus starting to aggressively and causing an issue. Good Luck!
  • ecjim
    ecjim Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    I'd start with just the bar - Then see how it goes. Many years ago , after an abdominal surgery I was too active , too quickly and had to go back for a surgical repair.
  • thanos5
    thanos5 Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    i have nothing helpful to offer, just wanted to give you kudos for getting back to it. inspiring.
  • curlsintherack
    curlsintherack Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    thanks for the ideas everyone.
  • mcemino2
    mcemino2 Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    I have a hernia that I plan on getting surgery for in the next couple months. Doctor said no lifting for 4 weeks. Need to talk to him further about weight lifting in general. Please post progress here, thanks.
  • firef1y72
    firef1y72 Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    mcemino2 wrote: »
    I have a hernia that I plan on getting surgery for in the next couple months. Doctor said no lifting for 4 weeks. Need to talk to him further about weight lifting in general. Please post progress here, thanks.

Within 6 months of my hernia surgery I was lifting heavier than before. Baring in mind that I'm an older female that focuses on running rather than lifting, I was managing to deadlift 99.5kg within a year.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,503 Member
    Options
    I rehab people from surgeries so my advice is not to even start lifting weights till about 6 weeks out after surgery and even then, going really light and focusing on just form.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• curlsintherack
    curlsintherack Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    First week progress back was as follows. Monday my initial weight on the squat was too high and I felt a little extra stretching from the 4th 5th set so I backed off a few days and Thursday came back even lighter starting my sqyat at 155 instead of 185. Completed my next 2 workouts just fine and am even over the severe leg doms that accompanied my Monday workout.
  • mcemino2
    mcemino2 Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    First week progress back was as follows. Monday my initial weight on the squat was too high and I felt a little extra stretching from the 4th 5th set so I backed off a few days and Thursday came back even lighter starting my sqyat at 155 instead of 185. Completed my next 2 workouts just fine and am even over the severe leg doms that accompanied my Monday workout.

Good job, great to hear you are doing ok.