Best time for dessert?

If eating sugar makes you hungry faster wouldn’t the best time to eat desert be after lunch? That way for dinner you can eat something that’s not sugary and you won’t be that hungry when youre trying to sleep?

Replies

• claireychn074
    claireychn074 Posts: 1,325 Member
    Why do you think sugar makes you hungry? Are you thinking about a crash when you’ve had too much sugar?
  • FireyChimera
    FireyChimera Posts: 155 Member
    I eat dessert all day sometimes lol ! Well if you feel hungry after dessert then have a second dinner XD problem solved
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,978 Member
    edited October 2019
    For me - after dinner.

My lunch is usually at work or on the go and more rushed and i enjoy relaxing with desert in the evening after tea in front of the tellie - if I have enough calories left in the day.

Although on my non working days, have been known to go out for coffee and cake at various times of day. :o;)B)

ETA it does not make me more hungry.
  • Theoldguy1
    Theoldguy1 Posts: 2,454 Member
    uwu1 wrote: »
    If eating sugar makes you hungry faster wouldn’t the best time to eat desert be after lunch? That way for dinner you can eat something that’s not sugary and you won’t be that hungry when youre trying to sleep?

If you think that type of food maked you hungrier faster, why don't you eliminate it from your die
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    I sometimes have desert before dinner for just that reason.
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    The entire question is based on a false premise. Sugar does not necessarily make people hungry faster. If sugar makes you, personally, feel hungry faster, then you should schedule your meals accordingly.
  • wifeoferp
    wifeoferp Posts: 86 Member
    I prefer dessert after dinner so that I can make sure I have enough macros left for it.
    That said, I don’t know that sugar necessarily makes me hungry, but certain types of desserts DO make me crave more of them, the worst offender being my husband’s brown butter chocolate chip cookies! :-) I have learned that we should only bake 1-2 per person or I lose all self control. If there are certain foods that trigger you, only buy them on certain occasions. If dessert makes you hungrier, why have it at all? Maybe find a dessert that is more satisfying, or make sure you have eaten a satisfying meal beforehand so your body doesn’t feel the need to eat too much dessert. The other thing that helps satisfy my cravings after eating dessert is a glass of cold milk. Find what works for you.
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,595 Member
    Sugar does effect blood glucose. It spikes after eating something sugary and is typically too low a few hours later because your body over reacts. Your body is designed to deal with fruit, not Mars bars. Low blood glucose causes renewed cravings for sugar. If you cave to those cravings your blood glucose yoyo's all day with sugar cravings during the dips. For this reason it is best to have high sugar treats in the evening.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    uwu1 wrote: »

I don't find that eating sugar makes me hungry. It is not as filling as some other foods for me (at least, if you mean dessert type foods that also have fat, for me fruit is quite filling), but that doesn't mean it magically makes me hungry later.

I don't eat dessert much lately, but I did most of the time I was losing (and eating at a deficit) and I found that a little something right after dinner was the best pattern for me. I was never hungry when trying to sleep.
  • LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,964 Member
    I no longer eat dessert. Every typical dessert food is way too sweet for me now. 😝
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,595 Member
    OP says she feels hungry after eating sugar, suggesting he or she has some degree of postprandial hypoglycemia response.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    acpgee wrote: »
    OP says she feels hungry after eating sugar, suggesting he or she has some degree of postprandial hypoglycemia response.

The question wouldn't be about just dessert. It would be about any very high carb very low everything else meal/snack. A bagel, for instance, could cause a low blood sugar event in around 3 hours. This is something with which I have a bit of experience.

• NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    After a hike!
  • missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    Anytime you want as long as it fits into your calorie budget.