Anyone cutting after a bulk?

Replies

• sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Aww Sardelsa congrats! Only 15lbs away is impressive. I put on about 60lbs with mine. And only 8 of that was the baby!
    I’m really glad there’s a few posting in this thread as it might make me stick to the plan. As opposed to giving up cos I hate dieting.

Thanks! I use all kinds of tricks to keep myself in a deficit... I calorie cycle with refeeds on weekends, I have restricted foods during the day, keep my protein levels high, I take lots of diet breaks too. Oh and lots of coffee! Hopefully I can get motivated again too because right now I am too tired to even care about eating right :(
  • sardelsa wrote: »
    Aww Sardelsa congrats! Only 15lbs away is impressive. I put on about 60lbs with mine. And only 8 of that was the baby!
    I’m really glad there’s a few posting in this thread as it might make me stick to the plan. As opposed to giving up cos I hate dieting.

Thanks! I use all kinds of tricks to keep myself in a deficit... I calorie cycle with refeeds on weekends, I have restricted foods during the day, keep my protein levels high, I take lots of diet breaks too. Oh and lots of coffee! Hopefully I can get motivated again too because right now I am too tired to even care about eating right :(

I'm actually in the opposite route, lol. I started working out every single morning before I go to work, but before that, I hate to admit it, but I was addicted to sugar and caffeine, never kept track of calories, sugars, etc so I decided to cut first then start bulking later. The later is now, but I'm all confused on "bulking" lol.

Whenever I think of "bulking," you eat more/calorie surplus than calories burned, but what terrifies me is that if I attempt that, I'd get fat again and all my hard work from cutting would be all gone. It's a complete mental distress to think about.

I'm thinking high protein, high calories, moderate carbs and fat (around 50-70g.) I tried high carbs yesterday, and ugh, the weight stuck on and I can see where I got fatter again, trying high protein today.

I started March last year at 178lb's, 28%body fat, and around 28-30bmi, and as of today post-workout,122.6lb's, 10.6% body fat, and 18bmi. This was me in 2014 on the far left screenshot, compared to the others which were taken today after working out. I guess bulking tips are greatly appreciated :). I just don't wanna get fat again like I was lol.
  • Friendly spidey: at the top of this forum there’s a load of threads under the heading ‘ most helpful’ . Including bulking for beginners and the former fat boy syndrome. Read all those. Then come back if you have specific questions.
  • sardelsa
    @FriendlySpidey50 I would definitely checkout these links as @cupcakesandbarbellsfitness mentioned, just in case you couldn't find them:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1069962/the-former-fat-boy-girl-syndrome/p1

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10226536/bulking-for-beginners/p1

Keep your surplus around 250cals per day over maintenance, follow a proper progressive lifting program and get adequate protein. While higher carbs can cause water retention, they won't cause excess fat gain unless they are putting you well above maintenance consistently.
  • steveko89
    steveko89 Posts: 2,215 Member
    sardelsa wrote: »
    Hey everyone~! Hope you are all doing well. I will be back on the cutting train in a few weeks, just about 3 weeks post-partum here, thought I would pop in and say hi :) I don't know what my plan of action is yet... 3 kids is no joke and my new son is the worst sleeper of all of them so far, haha. I am about 15lbs away from "goal weight" but who knows how far from goal body comp.

@cupcakesandbarbellsfitness I hear you on the recomp. Don't get me wrong I have seen people with amazing progress with it, but personally for me I am much better doing bulk/cut cycles. Maybe try a very small deficit, like a hair below maintenance so you are cutting but it isn't too painful for you!

@steveko89 fantastic progress!! Visual changes are hard to see day to day but trying on the same clothes help. Keep up the great work.

Congrats, Stef! Glad you and the fam are doing well.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,388 MFP Moderator
    edited October 2019
    I am still around but had to take a break for awhile. I was on travel for several weeks and some family stuff happen. Weight was back up to 178.... Been sorta keto (had some drinks at my anniversary dinner) for the past few weeks and back down to 174.7. Probably will be keto through the holidays.

Training wise, i am following PHAT except i had to swap out squats for hip thrusters and leg press. I have a small pinch in my lower back that squats flare up. Still training hard but want to ensure I don't get injured.
  • PsuLemon how are you finding PHAT? I’m running PHUL atm. Wondering about switching to a programme from Eric Helms muscle and strength pyramids or PHAT . Can’t decide
  • psuLemon
    PsuLemon how are you finding PHAT? I’m running PHUL atm. Wondering about switching to a programme from Eric Helms muscle and strength pyramids or PHAT . Can’t decide

I have done both PHUL and PHAT and i much prefer PHAT. Overall, i really like the extra volume and the additional day.

I will note, if you don't respond to volume well, it will be a tough program. Also, the leg days are a bit long.
  • psuLemon
    edited October 2019
    So funny anecdote. For the third time in my weight loss journey, I increased my calories from 1800 to 2200-2300 and my weight loss has been accelerating. Woke up at 173. Ironically, when I was running PSMF, something similar was happening. I struggled at 1200-1500 but once I came off, it was flying off.

Still running keto though. Aiming for net 50g because fiber is still important.
  • extremeways16
    extremeways16 Posts: 3 Member
    @Silkysausage ask away! This is a thread to discuss all things related to cutting after a bulk

I personally have an idea how much I want to gain, but it really depends on time, ex. if I am getting close to summer, when I feel my bodyfat is getting too high, my hunger levels are getting really low (and I start hating food and developing food aversions), I feel a bit sluggish, and I stop fitting into most of my clothes (if I have to break out the maternity jeans I've definitely gone too far!! Haha)

Many people go by bodyfat %, I believe when men reach over 15% and women are over 25% they should consider doing a mini cut (a quicker cut to lower bodyfat% then resume bulking) or start their main cut. Or go to recomp in some cases.

What if 15% body fat would put you at a weight below what's considered healthy for your height? Just cut anyway and then go to bulking or try to gain more muscle before cutting even if at a high body fat? It seems like the latter would be undesirable if someone only gains muscle at say 1lb/month and needs to gain say 15 lbs of muscle.
  • sardelsa
    @Silkysausage ask away! This is a thread to discuss all things related to cutting after a bulk

I personally have an idea how much I want to gain, but it really depends on time, ex. if I am getting close to summer, when I feel my bodyfat is getting too high, my hunger levels are getting really low (and I start hating food and developing food aversions), I feel a bit sluggish, and I stop fitting into most of my clothes (if I have to break out the maternity jeans I've definitely gone too far!! Haha)

Many people go by bodyfat %, I believe when men reach over 15% and women are over 25% they should consider doing a mini cut (a quicker cut to lower bodyfat% then resume bulking) or start their main cut. Or go to recomp in some cases.

What if 15% body fat would put you at a weight below what's considered healthy for your height? Just cut anyway and then go to bulking or try to gain more muscle before cutting even if at a high body fat? It seems like the latter would be undesirable if someone only gains muscle at say 1lb/month and needs to gain say 15 lbs of muscle.

No I wouldn't cut close to or below a healthy body weight. Perhaps consider recomp if someone is getting close. If someone is underweight and higher in bodyfat I would still recommend gaining then recomping (vs cutting) in order to work on body composition. Obviously every case is different but generally that is what I would do.
  • Thanks for answering this sardelsa. I’d been wondering about it myself. I think I’m around 23 % atm at 136 pounds 5 ft 8.5. I may splash out on a dexa scan tho they seem quite pricey in the uk. I am lean in my upper body but much fatter in my legs. I have baby abs. I don’t find those body fat pictures of female midsections that helpful in terms of guesstimating my body fat.

I’m hoping I don’t have to diet much more. I was going to try and get down to 130 and then bulk slowly to 140. I don’t think I’m gonna look great at 130. My face is already quite thin.

Anyway I might post some pics when I’m at 130 to see what you guys think in terms of bulking.
  • sardelsa
    Thanks for answering this sardelsa. I’d been wondering about it myself. I think I’m around 23 % atm at 136 pounds 5 ft 8.5. I may splash out on a dexa scan tho they seem quite pricey in the uk. I am lean in my upper body but much fatter in my legs. I have baby abs. I don’t find those body fat pictures of female midsections that helpful in terms of guesstimating my body fat.

I’m hoping I don’t have to diet much more. I was going to try and get down to 130 and then bulk slowly to 140. I don’t think I’m gonna look great at 130. My face is already quite thin.

Anyway I might post some pics when I’m at 130 to see what you guys think in terms of bulking.

Honestly I never know my true bodyfat %. I also carry weight on my lower body so it's really hard to compare as well. To be honest I don't really care to know an exact number as it wouldn't affect my decision to bulk to cut either way, and it would probably make me feel worse about my progress. I usually get to the point where I look tiny, a bit boney even, some decent ab and upper body definition, my glutes look small and flat, that's when I know it's time to gain.
  • GaryRuns
    GaryRuns Posts: 508 Member
    Hey everyone~! Hope you are all doing well. I will be back on the cutting train in a few weeks, just about 3 weeks post-partum here, thought I would pop in and say hi :) I don't know what my plan of action is yet... 3 kids is no joke and my new son is the worst sleeper of all of them so far, haha. I am about 15lbs away from "goal weight" but who knows how far from goal body comp.

I feel for you. Our daughter was a nightmare. My wife gave birth to her via an emergency C section after 36 hours of labor, and then the nurses had to bring her in to my wife to nurse because she was crying in the nursery and keeping all the other babies from sleeping. The constant crying didn't last long though, only FOUR *kitten* months! You'd think medicine would figure that stuff out beyond, "Oh, it's just a little colic". WTF!?

If it's any consolation that crying baby is now 18. Uh, I'd like to say it got easier with her but #teenagedaughternightmare. lol.

Congrats though. Welcome back to the grind!

• sardelsa
    edited October 2019
    GaryRuns wrote: »

I feel for you. Our daughter was a nightmare. My wife gave birth to her via an emergency C section after 36 hours of labor, and then the nurses had to bring her in to my wife to nurse because she was crying in the nursery and keeping all the other babies from sleeping. The constant crying didn't last long though, only FOUR *kitten* months! You'd think medicine would figure that stuff out beyond, "Oh, it's just a little colic". WTF!?

If it's any consolation that crying baby is now 18. Uh, I'd like to say it got easier with her but #teenagedaughternightmare. lol.

Congrats though. Welcome back to the grind!
    Thanks!
    Oh no 4 months of constant crying!
    Our colic is bad but not that bad or maybe I'm just used to it since they all had/have it.

Not looking forward to the teenage years! I was a huge nerd so hopefully my kids take after me (ya right!!)
    Good luck :)
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon wrote: »
    So funny anecdote. For the third time in my weight loss journey, I increased my calories from 1800 to 2200-2300 and my weight loss has been accelerating. Woke up at 173. Ironically, when I was running PSMF, something similar was happening. I struggled at 1200-1500 but once I came off, it was flying off.

Still running keto though. Aiming for net 50g because fiber is still important.

Small update: Diet is going pretty well, but I have been dealing with crazy hunger right now. I think it's the being caused by volume of PHAT. Hovering around 172-173 this past 10 days, but I have been eating more calories quite often. Downside is I am dealing with some rotator cuff issues, so I need to see a doctor. I think it was caused by my kids. So my I have been taking it easy in terms of weight.

I will note, I am feeling more lean and adhering a lot better to ketogenic than initially thought. Ironically, of things I miss, it's the high sugar fruits. On days I really craze them, I will try to incorporate some while going more carnivore the rest of the days. Do I feel better, have more stable energy, or more mental clarity? No, but I do not binge on candy anymore, so that is a big plus.
  • Thanks for answering this sardelsa. I’d been wondering about it myself. I think I’m around 23 % atm at 136 pounds 5 ft 8.5. I may splash out on a dexa scan tho they seem quite pricey in the uk. I am lean in my upper body but much fatter in my legs. I have baby abs. I don’t find those body fat pictures of female midsections that helpful in terms of guesstimating my body fat.

Just stopped by to whinge about dieting. Too many meals out for me = maintenance calories. Scale and me aren’t friends. I just love food too much.
  • steveko89
    steveko89 Posts: 2,215 Member
    Thanks for answering this sardelsa. I’d been wondering about it myself. I think I’m around 23 % atm at 136 pounds 5 ft 8.5. I may splash out on a dexa scan tho they seem quite pricey in the uk. I am lean in my upper body but much fatter in my legs. I have baby abs. I don’t find those body fat pictures of female midsections that helpful in terms of guesstimating my body fat.

Just stopped by to whinge about dieting. Too many meals out for me = maintenance calories. Scale and me aren’t friends. I just love food too much.

Same, last two weeks I had a work trip to Northern California and week-long department meetings that made things difficult the regulate (karaoke with seldom-seen coworkers Wednesday night surely didn't help). Saturday, I also got roped into helping my friend move a bunch of his girlfriend's stuff into his house (treadmill, bed, dresser) and my back has been making me pay for it. 175 this morning, average up to 176 though. Need to buckle down and get below 170 if this is the winter I actually start a lean bulk properly.
  • Bumping this post to remind me that I do actually need to lose a bit more fat if I’m ever gonna be lean enough to bulk.

Just got back from an all inclusive free for all in turkey. Delicious food.
    4 pounds up the day after I got back. 140 pounds. This mornings weigh in was a new low of 135.8. Yey for unintentional diet breaks.

Aiming for 130 by the end of November. This might be wildly optimistic.
  • Pipsqueak1965
    Pipsqueak1965 Posts: 397 Member
    I've been doing an (unintentional) lazy bulk! That is, only working out twice a week and eating a few too many snack. Definitely want to do a little 6 week cut before the xmas period starts. So will drop that snacks and try to make myself do at least one extra work out a week. I want my abs and nice shoulders properly visible again. I miss them.