How often do YOU “cheat”?

2»

Replies

• koalathebear
    koalathebear Posts: 236 Member
    edited October 2019
    As I'v mentioned before, the whole cheat meal thing seems to be an endless loop of semantic arguments about nomenclature.

I have no problems with calling it a cheat meal because 'cheat' is just a word.

Cheat seems to mean different things to different people though. I think for it to be genuinely be cheating, it would need to be:
    • food that you do not log; and
    • food that exceeds your calorie budget for the day ...
    If it's logged / if it's within calorie budget, I can't see how it's cheating.

If it's not logged / outside calorie budget, then it depends on how good one's self control is because for me I personally can't see the benefit (even psychological) of potentially blowing a week of good work with one day of unregulated/potentially out of control eating. I definitely don't think that one day can undo all good work, but I can see how e.g. one uncontrolled day a week could potentially reverse or inhibit progress.

My preference is to just factor it all in. If I want to eat more, I exercise more that day. Or I skip breakfast and lunch and have a very large brunch etc. For me it's all about managing the calorie budget ... I might elect not to eat x because I want more calories to eat y ... or if I really want to eat both x and y in a day, then I'll just exercise more.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    As I'v mentioned before, the whole cheat meal thing seems to be an endless loop of semantic arguments about nomenclature.

I have no problems with calling it a cheat meal because 'cheat' is just a word.

Cheat seems to mean different things to different people though. I think for it to be genuinely be cheating, it would need to be:
    • food that you do not log; and
    • food that exceeds your calorie budget for the day ...
    If it's logged / if it's within calorie budget, I can't see how it's cheating.

If it's not logged / outside calorie budget, then it depends on how good one's self control is because for me I personally can't see the benefit (even psychological) of potentially blowing a week of good work with one day of unregulated/potentially out of control eating. I definitely don't think that one day can undo all good work, but I can see how e.g. one uncontrolled day a week could potentially reverse or inhibit progress.

My preference is to just factor it all in. If I want to eat more, I exercise more that day. Or I skip breakfast and lunch and have a very large brunch etc. For me it's all about managing the calorie budget ... I might elect not to eat x because I want more calories to eat y ... or if I really want to eat both x and y in a day, then I'll just exercise more.

Yep, that's what I mean by "make accommodations" for larger meals. If I'm not willing to "not eat x", skip a meal, or exercise more, then I don't want that larger meal enough to eat it and I'm content not having it. If I want it enough, I'll do one or a combination of the above and I'm happy to have it. All out no logging days are very very rare for me. My budget is monthly, so food that exceeds my budget for the day happens more often, which is balanced out by days where I'm under budget, but none of it is on a schedule to answer the "how often" question accurately. Huge meals could happen as often as several times a week or as infrequently as once every few months, depending on what I feel like eating or what's happening around me in that timespan.
  • rainbow198
    rainbow198 Posts: 2,245 Member
    I go out for yummy pizza every Friday night and I usually make a small, but high calorie dessert over the weekend.

I don't consider it a cheat, but I make it fit into my weekly calorie budget and I don't overdo it.
  • ku140
    ku140 Posts: 65 Member
    I don't log on the weekends. I try to be mindful, but I do snack a bit more than normal. I feel mixed about this. By letting myself do this, I am getting a break from the constant challenges during the week to change my bad habits. This seems to let me reset each Monday. But, I am also continuing with some bad habits, reinforcing them little by little. It feels like a cheat :)

I am hitting my goals so far, which is great. But I would like to ultimately get out of this type of behavior. I need to plan how to do that.
  • Diatonic12
    Diatonic12 Posts: 32,344 Member
    xSanoura wrote: »
    Before someone goes on about their side piece(s), I’m talking about cheat MEALS.
    😝
    Personally I go out and enjoy a cheat day/meals once every two weeks.
    How about y’all? Or do you not believe in “cheating”? :) just curious

I'm not married to my diet so I need to cheat. Words are important. If someone has an emotional relationship with food and that affair has been going on for years or decades...Cheat Meals can lead to what I call more thrill eating. Dieting and Cheat Meals or this is really not a diet but just a way of eating or this is not a diet but a food cleanse or a food reset are all disconnects for the brain. The brain tries to make sense out of all that chaos. Cheat Meals won't fix an emotional relationship with food one year or five years down the road. It's really just the same old emotionally charged affair with food that never ended.

Simply eat foods you want that fit within your food budget or calorie bank account on a daily basis. Taking the emotions out of it and thinking rationally not emotionally about food will give you a much better chance of actually getting there and staying there for the rest of your life.
  • OldHobo
    OldHobo Posts: 647 Member
    Like others have said it depends on what the definition of "cheat" is.

Exceeding a kcal or macro target isn't cheating in my book. Lying to my food diary is cheating.
  • kristen8000
    kristen8000 Posts: 747 Member
    No cheating. But I will "bank" calories during the week to use for events (birthdays, dinners out, social things, etc). My calories to lose .5lbs a week are 1590. During the week I try and hit no more than 1390, giving me an extra 1000 calories if I need them on "event" nights. And if I don't need them, I lose a bit faster.

I started with about 15lbs to lose (regain from a loss in 2011 of 50lbs) Sept. 3rd. Currently down 9.6lbs. Don't feel like I need to cheat. And honestly cheating won't get me to my goals any faster.

Cutting for a vacation in Mexico in December.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    I work at least one (often 2) higher cal meals per week into my overall calorie budget. I am not sure why I would consider that cheating. Thus, I am not sure I understand what is meant by "cheating" in the OP.

I do occasionally eat meals that are less nutrient dense as the ones I normally eat, but in the context of an overall day and week, I don't think that's a "cheat" either -- every meal doesn't have to be the same.
  • teresa19622015
    teresa19622015 Posts: 34 Member
    Not really as then I struggle to get back on track. If eating out I order what will stay in my calorie allowance. However I’m going away at Christmas and plan to eat what I like without guilt and get right back on it as soon as return plane touches down!
  • _Miss_chievous_
    _Miss_chievous_ Posts: 2,765 Member
    Everything I moderation
  • MarissaRiv23
    MarissaRiv23 Posts: 406 Member
    I have a cheat meal once a week. However, I track it and I usually can manage to stay within my calorie goal or only over it by a little bit.
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,241 Member
    I do not "cheat" because I don't believe in food being good or bad. I listen to my body and feed it. Some days I am hungrier then others so I eat more. Some days I want a bit of comfort food so I enjoy that. I am trying to fix my relationship with food that has been damaged by the ideas of good, bad, cheating, and the like.
  • koalathebear
    koalathebear Posts: 236 Member
    [quote="amusedmonkey;c-44270001"Yep, that's what I mean by "make accommodations" for larger meals. If I'm not willing to "not eat x", skip a meal, or exercise more, then I don't want that larger meal enough to eat it and I'm content not having it. If I want it enough, I'll do one or a combination of the above and I'm happy to have it. All out no logging days are very very rare for me. My budget is monthly, so food that exceeds my budget for the day happens more often, which is balanced out by days where I'm under budget, but none of it is on a schedule to answer the "how often" question accurately. Huge meals could happen as often as several times a week or as infrequently as once every few months, depending on what I feel like eating or what's happening around me in that timespan.[/quote]

Agreed - although I see that someone disagrees with me, although it's always hard to know which part of the post has triggered the disagreement (formerly woo :)

Given that I always try to eat within budget (boosted by exercise), I guess I don't really 'cheat'. It's probably not even cheating if you eat over the budget one day but compensate on the following day by exercising more / eating less. As I've mentioned, a genuine cheat is probably knowingly exceeding budget and not logging ...
  • juanaveree
    juanaveree Posts: 5 Member
    T
  • Ironwoman1111
    Ironwoman1111 Posts: 3,913 Member
    I eat whatever I want and crave as long as it fits into my daily cals. 😋 All in moderation. 😁