Calories in a tin of cooked chick peas - help!

Hey all,

The drained weight of the cooked and tinned chick peas I want to make is 240g but there is no calorie info on the label.

Some guesses have it as high as 350 calories per 240g drained weight, others put it as low as 171. Can you help?

Replies

• apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    I would just use a different database entry for canned chickpeas. 240g canned chickpeas would be 275-300 calories.
  • Copper_Boom
    Copper_Boom Posts: 85 Member
    edited October 2019
    This may get you close. This is the label on a 220g can of cooked chickpeas (weight is undrained though):

x5066bv12qtf.jpeg
  • goatelope
    goatelope Posts: 178 Member
    I have decided to just assume it’s around 350g for 240g tinned chick peas (drained)
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    I used "Usda - Chickpeas(garbazo Beans)mature Seeds, Canned, Drained Solids" last time. For 240 g, I get 334 calories.

I matched that to the corresponding entry in the old USDA database, which was more user friendly than the new one https://fdc.nal.usda.gov/fdc-app.html#/food-details/173800/nutrients
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Use the MFP app on your phone to read the info in the bar code. :star:
  • OldHobo
    OldHobo Posts: 647 Member
    edited October 2019
    b8woqz2h4cr3.jpg

From the Nutrition Coordinating Center Data Base (NCCDB) via Cronometer.

So 240grams = 8.5714285 ounces * 39 = 334 kcal.

Or clearer still:
    jeg84nwzxzl1.jpg
  • BarbaraHelen2013
    BarbaraHelen2013 Posts: 1,940 Member
    Minor aside, since the question has been answered...but it’s illegal to sell packaged food that has no nutritional labelling in the UK (quite likely many other countries too) so I’m puzzled how you managed to buy the tin in the first place! Several of the supermarkets near me sell that brand in their ‘ethnic’ section (not with own brand or other branded chickpeas), so I’m surprised there was no information on the packaging!
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,130 Member
    Minor aside, since the question has been answered...but it’s illegal to sell packaged food that has no nutritional labelling in the UK (quite likely many other countries too) so I’m puzzled how you managed to buy the tin in the first place! Several of the supermarkets near me sell that brand in their ‘ethnic’ section (not with own brand or other branded chickpeas), so I’m surprised there was no information on the packaging!

My thoughts too!
  • sytchequeen
    sytchequeen Posts: 526 Member

Agreed, but I have bought this brand in multi-packs, and the nutritional label has been on the "tray" packaging rather than the individual tins. I'm going to guess some shop has split a multi-buy package and sold seperately - naughty...
  • BarbaraHelen2013
    BarbaraHelen2013 Posts: 1,940 Member

Agreed, but I have bought this brand in multi-packs, and the nutritional label has been on the "tray" packaging rather than the individual tins. I'm going to guess some shop has split a multi-buy package and sold seperately - naughty...

I actually thought of this answer after I posted earlier. I’ve not seen them in multipacks but then I don’t shop in bulk food style stores but I know there’s a 3 pack tuna I buy which irritates the heck out of me because I tend to peel the packaging off when I want the first tin and then can’t find the nutritional info subsequently! 🙄

So, yes, naughty shop or maybe the OP bought it in a multipack and unpacked them into her cupboard without realising the nutritional panel was only on the outer packaging.