New products that caught your eyes recently?

Replies

• Katmary71
    Katmary71 Posts: 6,533 Member
    nlinhmyvy1ap.jpg

If white means white chocolate that would be really good! People who thought white meant white chocolate on Kit Kats and Reeses were made fun of on here for thinking it meant white chocolate so I no longer assume.
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    ymfyu0oqee2y.jpeg
  • pancakerunner
    pancakerunner Posts: 6,137 Member
    apullum wrote: »
    Katmary71 wrote: »
    nlinhmyvy1ap.jpg

If white means white chocolate that would be really good! People who thought white meant white chocolate on Kit Kats and Reeses were made fun of on here for thinking it meant white chocolate so I no longer assume.

A lot of people think "white" candy means "white chocolate"--so many that there is currently a lawsuit because some people feel mislead that such candies were not actually white chocolate: https://thetakeout.com/white-chocolate-fake-lawsuit-nestle-1838507196

If someone doesn't know much about chocolate and they see a "white" version of a candy that's normally...well, chocolate flavored at least...then I can see why they'd be confused. I don't think it's fair to make fun of them. I think the marketing is intentionally vague.

Anyway, that "Hershey's White" bar is not white chocolate. There is small print at the bottom that says "white creme." It is probably something like vanilla flavored vegetable fat.

Wait... I'm confused. What is the difference between white and white chocolate??
  • pancakerunner
    nlinhmyvy1ap.jpg

A lot of people think "white" candy means "white chocolate"--so many that there is currently a lawsuit because some people feel mislead that such candies were not actually white chocolate: https://thetakeout.com/white-chocolate-fake-lawsuit-nestle-1838507196

If someone doesn't know much about chocolate and they see a "white" version of a candy that's normally...well, chocolate flavored at least...then I can see why they'd be confused. I don't think it's fair to make fun of them. I think the marketing is intentionally vague.

Anyway, that "Hershey's White" bar is not white chocolate. There is small print at the bottom that says "white creme." It is probably something like vanilla flavored vegetable fat.

Wait... I'm confused. What is the difference between white and white chocolate??

Candy that’s just marketed as white may be vegetable fat with flavoring. It does not necessarily have any cocoa butter in it. White chocolate is made from cocoa butter, with sugar and milk added.

Wow, I am embarrassed to say I am one of those people who always thinks white looking things that are normally chocolate is white chocolate, lol. Now I know why ACTUAL white chocolate from a specialty store tastes so much different. I am sure it is more expensive to use actual white chocolate which is why they always use the white "cream".

I too am one of those people... not that I really care though, because yeah, things labeled as "white" are generally cheaper. So I don't feel like there is any harm done... Not like I'm being charged the same price for something that isn't authentic.
  • Katmary71
    Katmary71 Posts: 6,533 Member
    nlinhmyvy1ap.jpg

Candy that’s just marketed as white may be vegetable fat with flavoring. It does not necessarily have any cocoa butter in it. White chocolate is made from cocoa butter, with sugar and milk added.

Wow, I am embarrassed to say I am one of those people who always thinks white looking things that are normally chocolate is white chocolate, lol. Now I know why ACTUAL white chocolate from a specialty store tastes so much different. I am sure it is more expensive to use actual white chocolate which is why they always use the white "cream".

I always assumed they were white chocolate too. Specialty store white chocolate is awesome, I used to buy a chunk of white chocolate from the bakery down the street with my allowance. Is it any wonder I'm on MFP as an adult!
  • pancakerunner
    nlinhmyvy1ap.jpg

I always assumed they were white chocolate too. Specialty store white chocolate is awesome, I used to buy a chunk of white chocolate from the bakery down the street with my allowance. Is it any wonder I'm on MFP as an adult!

Well, is actual white chocolate even considered true chocolate??
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    nlinhmyvy1ap.jpg

If by “chocolate” you mean “product made from cacao beans,” then yes. A cacao bean has two parts: cocoa butter and cocoa solids. White chocolate is made of cocoa butter without cocoa solids. What we think of as chocolate is made of the cocoa solids and usually some cocoa butter. Cheap brands may use vegetable fat in place of some or all of the cocoa butter.
  • etherealanwar
    etherealanwar Posts: 465 Member
    muaer2o9kb4a.jpg
    I found this at an asian grocery and its amazing for only 70 calories! It's a bit pricey at $1 a pop but totally worth it. I suggest this is anyone can find it in their area :)

That looks delightful. Did you find it at a local Asian grocery, or one of the big chains? We have several Asian grocery chains in the region, so if it's at one of those, I will definitely be picking it up next time I'm there.

I am pretty sure it is a local Cincinnati area Asian market called Cam International. This is not an Asian product though it is European if that helps. I am unsure of who else would carry it!
  • ElizabethHanrahan
    ElizabethHanrahan Posts: 102 Member
    nlinhmyvy1ap.jpg

Nestle's has a new chip product that is called "Simply" There are dark, semi-sweet, and white chocolate chip. The "simply line is just 3-5 ingredients and ALL contain real chocolate, either solids or cocoa butter . There is NO MILK in the white chips.
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    edited October 2019
    nlinhmyvy1ap.jpg

Nestle's has a new chip product that is called "Simply" There are dark, semi-sweet, and white chocolate chip. The "simply line is just 3-5 ingredients and ALL contain real chocolate, either solids or cocoa butter . There is NO MILK in the white chips.

The Nestle product is marketed as “white morsels” and its webpage doesn’t use the term “white chocolate” at all. That may be because white chocolate typically does contain milk products. It may also be because white chocolate usually does not contain things like tapioca starch that are in these chips. https://www.verybestbaking.com/products/11991/tollhouse/simply-delicious-white-morsels-by-nestle-toll-house

Edit: Here are some white chocolate chips that are marketed as such, so folks can see the difference.
    Guittard: https://www.guittard.com/our-chocolate/detail/choc-au-lait-baking-chips (they are called "vanilla" on the website, but also called "white chocolate")
    Valrhona: https://www.valrhona-chocolate.com/white-chocolate-chips.html
    Callebaut: https://www.vanillafoodcompany.ca/Chocolate-White-Chocolate-Callets-Chips-W2NV-p/cal-wh-callets-par.htm
  • missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    nlinhmyvy1ap.jpg

I sometimes used my allowance/babysitting money , when I was a kid, for White chocolate almond bark from Fannie Farmer.

When my DD was in high school, Nestle had seasonal Christmas Bells (small kiss sized) that were white with chopped almonds. Maybe they quit making them because of the controversy. They were really good.
  • pancakerunner
    nlinhmyvy1ap.jpg

The Nestle product is marketed as “white morsels” and its webpage doesn’t use the term “white chocolate” at all. That may be because white chocolate typically does contain milk products. It may also be because white chocolate usually does not contain things like tapioca starch that are in these chips. https://www.verybestbaking.com/products/11991/tollhouse/simply-delicious-white-morsels-by-nestle-toll-house

Edit: Here are some white chocolate chips that are marketed as such, so folks can see the difference.
    Guittard: https://www.guittard.com/our-chocolate/detail/choc-au-lait-baking-chips (they are called "vanilla" on the website, but also called "white chocolate")
    Callebaut: https://www.vanillafoodcompany.ca/Chocolate-White-Chocolate-Callets-Chips-W2NV-p/cal-wh-callets-par.htm

@apullum you should right a book... haha. Do you have experience working in the chocolate biz?!
  • pancakerunner
    nlinhmyvy1ap.jpg

@apullum you should right a book... haha. Do you have experience working in the chocolate biz?!

Nope, no professional experience in chocolate. I'm just a chocolate snob :)

I respect you!
  • pancakerunner
    uqp9x6z63nrq.jpg
    pyaz9lx6hb2m.jpg