Working hard and not losing weight :(

Hey guys! Just looking for some advice. I’ve been running consistently 5 days a week for 2 1/2 months now and I’m not seeing any results. I really try to push myself and make my workout count every day and the Nike Run app says I burn about 300+ calories per workout. During the rest of the day I try to stay on my feet and walk around while I study so I’m not just sitting down all day. I also eat healthfully (I’m vegetarian so fruits and veggies, beans, nuts, rice, etc.) and keep my calories between 1000-1200 a day and I don’t eat after 2pm. I’m fairly overweight (I’m 24 y/o and 5’6.5” and 200.6lbs and I have narrow wrists so I think that means I have fine bones?) so I didn’t think it would be that hard to lose weight at this point but I’ve literally been the same weight to the ounce since I started running again after breaking my back. For the last month, I’ve pretty much completely cut out dairy and bread from my diet to see if that helps but nada. I drink only water and copious amounts of it at that, and I get plenty of sleep (8-9 hours). And even though I’m in medical school, I live a pretty low stress life since I enjoy studying and I have good friends and great cats. Also, my scale is fine cause I keep track of my kittens’ weights and they are steadily gaining weight on track with their ages so it’s just me. I always weigh myself at the same time on the same day as well. Also, my clothes don’t fit any differently either so I just feel like my body isn’t changing no matter how much work I put in. Does anyone have any ideas? I’m getting discouraged. :/

Replies

• LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,970 Member
    If you haven't already, read the stickies at the top of the getting started forum. Very informative and helpful.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Do you mean there has been net zero difference in scale weight after 2.5 months or that your weight hasn't fluctuated at all for that long?
  • AwesomeOpossum74
    AwesomeOpossum74 Posts: 106 Member
    Could be you're converting fat into muscle, which weighs more?

Make sure you log all your food, in the proper amounts. Incorrect logging was a big factor when I was getting started.

And if you haven't already, join a dance group and get your swing dancing on! ;) Plenty of calorie burn in dancing.
  • wal3qx
    wal3qx Posts: 5 Member
    Take your measurements, arms, waist, etc., and use that as a gauge on progress instead of just what the scale says. You could be making progress in muscle gain and fat loss both, making the scale number stay put. I went 2 months with the scale sitting in the same spot but in that 2 months, I went down a size in both pants and top.
  • cbihatt
    cbihatt Posts: 319 Member
    If you have already ruled out medical issues, then your calorie estimates are most likely incorrect. As others have said, get a food scale and use it. It is possible to lose weight while being less than 100% accurate with your calorie intake, but when you are not seeing progress accuracy becomes more important.

Also, keep in mind that eating too little can be just as detrimental to weight loss as eating too much. Given your stats and your activity level, 1200 calories sounds extremely low. You may want to recalculate your daily target.

One last thought. Your mind may not feel stressed, but it’s possible that your body may feel that way. You mention a major injury, running 5 days a week, and eating a low amount of calories. Those are all stressors. It may also be a good idea to scale back your running to 3 days a week. You could still cross train on those other 2 days, but maybe chose a lower impact activity.

I wish you luck finding out what works for you.
  • javamoaka
    javamoaka Posts: 19 Member
    Hey! I would firstly say that if you are eating 1200 calories a day you for sure should be losing weight. My initial thought is somehow you are eating more than you think. Secondly, I would work on boosting your metabolism. The best way to do that is by increasing muscle mass. If you are working out 5 days a week, I would lift 3 days and run 2. Or lift 4 days and do 15 minutes of cardio at the end of each lift. Working hard without results is frustrating but I'm confident small tweaks will get you to your goal.
  • ceiswyn
    ceiswyn Posts: 2,253 Member
    Muscle does weigh more than fat, for an equivalent volume, so a smaller volume of muscle could weigh the same as a larger volume of fat. BUT think about it; that weight has to come from somewhere. You can’t build muscle out of air! So even if the OP’s body composition were changing, the fact that they weren’t losing weight would still indicate that they weren’t in a deficit.