I don’t understand calories

2»

Replies

• sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Yes i agree, less calories is still calorie counting

I don't count anything. I cut out a snack or portion. I drink less wine or eat less dinner.
  • browneyedbelle92
    browneyedbelle92 Posts: 37 Member
    ItsAJourny wrote: »
    What
    What do they do? sardelsa

What I do is listen to my body and eat healthier foods (choose an apple instead of a cookie). Lots of veggies and fruit. Water. Exercise. Pay attention to when my body feels good. Avoid snacks after dinner. I also weigh regularly (at least once a week). It provides good feedback.

This is what I’m trying to do as well just be sensible.
  • French_Peasant
    French_Peasant Posts: 1,639 Member
    For a cappuccino, you should be able to approximate it by finding a Starbucks skim cappuccino entry, and then just logging it as the particular size you drank (16 oz or whatnot). Basically it's just the skim milk that has the calories, so that could be logged as well if you know the quantity. Add the sugar as a separate entry.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,489 Member
    No. Not true.
    Yes it is, plenty of people do it
    Tell me why there are fat eskimos then? They don't have a diet high in carbs?

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,489 Member
    Go to countries where obesity isn't an issue like Japan. They eat carbs. They eat processed foods. It's just in their culture to NOT eat large portions.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png
  • savannahs21
    savannahs21 Posts: 364 Member
    edited May 2019
    ok? ninerbuff--- i did say low fat OR low carb
    i never said carbs are bad-- i eat them everyday
  • garystrickland357
    garystrickland357 Posts: 598 Member
    One of the biggest reasons I don’t count calories is I don’t understand how to log everything. I freak out if i couldn’t find something in my fitness pal and I’m pretty sure I log it wrong.

For example I had a cappuccino with skim milk on sugar one sweetner I don’t know how to log that.

Any calories tracking suggestions? I personally just find it overwhelming but I just wanted to see what I consume.

It's easy to be overwhelmed in the beginning. Just take it easy at first - don't let this stress you out. Pick a meal and log the items in the meal. It may take a bit of time. I PROMISE though - it gets easier and faster over time. When you first learned to drive it took a lot of concentration, you over corrected, and were a nervous wreck. Now, you don't stress about your daily routine. Logging food is the same. Stick with it and it will be easier. I've logged every meal I've eaten now for 475 days. It now takes up maybe 10 minutes of my day in total - not a bad trade for maintaining my weight.
  • RelCanonical
    RelCanonical Posts: 3,882 Member
    edited May 2019
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Go to countries where obesity isn't an issue like Japan. They eat carbs. They eat processed foods. It's just in their culture to NOT eat large portions.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

They're also more active. Public transportation is much more widely used, and that generally means time spent walking or biking to the subway or bus stop. Additionally, smaller trips are spent walking because everything is much closer together, and traffic is so bad that walking is faster.

For many people, it was just a small surplus that caused them to slowly gain over the years, so just these "little" things like portion size and extra walking make all the difference between maintaining a healthy weight and gaining.
  • browneyedbelle92
    One of the biggest reasons I don’t count calories is I don’t understand how to log everything. I freak out if i couldn’t find something in my fitness pal and I’m pretty sure I log it wrong.

For example I had a cappuccino with skim milk on sugar one sweetner I don’t know how to log that.

Any calories tracking suggestions? I personally just find it overwhelming but I just wanted to see what I consume.

It's easy to be overwhelmed in the beginning. Just take it easy at first - don't let this stress you out. Pick a meal and log the items in the meal. It may take a bit of time. I PROMISE though - it gets easier and faster over time. When you first learned to drive it took a lot of concentration, you over corrected, and were a nervous wreck. Now, you don't stress about your daily routine. Logging food is the same. Stick with it and it will be easier. I've logged every meal I've eaten now for 475 days. It now takes up maybe 10 minutes of my day in total - not a bad trade for maintaining my weight.

I’m learning to drive at the moment and it’s terrifying lol 😂
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member

I’m learning to drive at the moment and it’s terrifying lol 😂

How old are you OP?
  • browneyedbelle92
    Over 25 my anxiety has held me back from learning now I’m starting to
  • slimdownt
    slimdownt Posts: 105 Member
    edited October 2019
    Use a food scale and also use nutritionix.com they have tons of restaurants and food chains with accurate info.
  • unstableunicorn
    unstableunicorn Posts: 216 Member
    edited October 2019
    Going to second the suggestion of practicing on one meal a day. I started off with logging dinners as I usually had the most available time for it, and once I was comfortable with it (about a week) I added other meals & snacks. It’s pretty easy when you get the hand of it. :)