Breaking the cycle of binge eating. Anyone?

Can anyone give me some (hopefully helpful) advice on breaking the cycle of binge eating? I don’t understand why I keep doing it. I never feel good afterwards emotionally or physically.

Replies

• Cassandraw3
    Cassandraw3 Posts: 1,214 Member
    I think the first step is finding out what triggers your desire to binge eat. For me, it can be boredom or on days that I don't eat enough protein. Those seem to be my biggest culprits. When you know what is causing you to want go binge eat, you can work to remedy the cause instead of eating when you are not actually hungry.
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,048 Member
    Great points above. For me, the strongest correlation is over restricting. Sometimes it’s accidental, as when traveling and missing meals. For many years it was a binge-restrict cycle. Regardless of the reason for under eating, if I do it more than a couple days I am a binge waiting to happen. It really pays to take the time to work out an appropriate calorie goal (deficit not too aggressive) and to stick to it. Binging can have many contributing factors, and nailing down an appropriate intake (breaking the restrict part of the cycle) is probably the simplest one to address (and to change). How much do you have to lose and what is your caloric deficit?
  • axsxmxa
    axsxmxa Posts: 15 Member
    I’d agree with the others on this post - figure out why it’s happening, and then you can begin to address the issue.
    I’d also highly recommend the book “Brain over Binge” by Kathryn Hansen.
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,122 Member
    Keeping a journal can help with uncovering the why, whether it be physically writing it in a diary/notebook or using the notes section on MFP.

Try writing a couple of lines about what has happened over the day and any emotions that you have felt over the day.

In my experience, not only is it helpful in being more mindful of what is going on in my head but if I look back over my food diary I can normally identify what has triggered me, which can be helpful in finding other coping methods in future.

I've also found meditation very helpful as my own binge eating is stress/boredom related.

Hope you find something that helps.
  • goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    I was reminded recently that increasing my protein levels helped me immensely.
  • MarissaRiv23
    MarissaRiv23 Posts: 406 Member
    This was my biggest hurdle when I started my weight loss journey. What helped me was focusing on filling up on vegetables and protein. I also started going to the gym and there is something so empowering about having a kick *kitten* gym session, that the last thing I wanted to do was ruin my work with junk food. I also kept busy to avoid snacking.
  • yayamom3
    yayamom3 Posts: 939 Member
    ahoy_m8 wrote: »
    Great points above. For me, the strongest correlation is over restricting. Sometimes it’s accidental, as when traveling and missing meals. For many years it was a binge-restrict cycle. Regardless of the reason for under eating, if I do it more than a couple days I am a binge waiting to happen. It really pays to take the time to work out an appropriate calorie goal (deficit not too aggressive) and to stick to it. Binging can have many contributing factors, and nailing down an appropriate intake (breaking the restrict part of the cycle) is probably the simplest one to address (and to change). How much do you have to lose and what is your caloric deficit?

Over-restriction is the biggest culprit for me, as well. I will get on a really successful losing streak, and that always tempts me to cut my calories even more so I can see bigger, faster results. I have to fight that urge so hard and just stay on the slow and steady path.

I've also been able to identify a couple of key times that I am most vulnerable to bingeing. When I get home from work, my impulse is always to veg out in front of the TV and stuff my face with copious amounts of food. This is a leftover habit from my childhood. Now, if I find the urge too strong to fight, I try to go for a walk or run a quick errand instead. Friday evenings are another time, because my mind keeps telling me I've worked hard all week and I deserve to relax and gorge on junk food. Do you have any particular times/situations where you are more likely to binge? Maybe you can make a Plan B for dealing with those times.
  • jenyvarughese
    jenyvarughese Posts: 1 Member
    edited October 2019
    Reiterating what has been mentioned before, it's different for different people. Personally, I binge at night. I have no problem fasting during the day, but as soon as 9pm hits, I just want to eat. So I've started to shift my meals later so I'm fuller later, and have started to stock up on homemade healthy, but satisfying, sweet and savory snacks. It's been working so far. Good luck to you!
  • scarlett_k
    scarlett_k Posts: 812 Member
    If you can get a copy of Overcoming Binge Eating (second edition) it explains the roots causes of binge eating and provides a course of CBT to work through. I've found it really useful.
  • Marisela170
    Marisela170 Posts: 48 Member
    Honestly what helped me out of that was keeping myself super busy
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,843 Member
    Some physical triggers for me are lack of protein, lack of exercise, and lack of sleep.

Regular exercise helps with not emotional eating. In times of increased stress, I try to increase exercise. I can smash weights, or I can smash pints of Ben & Jerry's - the choice is mine.