Can I lose fat and grow muscle at the same time?

syeehmzh
syeehmzh Posts: 3 Member
edited October 2019 in Health and Weight Loss
Is it possible for me to lose my belly fat and grow my booty at the same time? I'm trying to have a smaller waist and wider hips (and booty 😀) but Idk what state I should be in (calorie deficit? Calorie surplus? Or just eat regularly but do more exercises?) Or should I just focus on one? But if I can just focus on losing fat, can I still do muscle building exercises, Like squats etc, or will that make my butt smaller (cause of fatloss)? Or should I just do cardio and focus on muscle building later?

Replies

• Silentpadna
    Silentpadna Posts: 1,306 Member
    syeehmzh wrote: »
    Is it possible for me to lose my belly fat and grow my booty at the same time? I'm trying to have a smaller waist and wider hips (and booty 😀) but Idk what state I should be in (calorie deficit? Calorie surplus? Or just eat regularly but do more exercises?) Or should I just focus on one? But if I can just focus on losing fat, can I still do muscle building exercises, Like squats etc, or will that make my butt smaller (cause of fatloss)? Or should I just do cardio and focus on muscle building later?

What the previous commenters have said.

Plus - this will take some time! Fat gets removed everywhere, so you cannot spot reduce. It also takes a long time to build muscle.

Do this for the long haul!

• syeehmzh
    syeehmzh Posts: 3 Member
    Thank you for the replies!
  • feisty_bucket
    feisty_bucket Posts: 1,047 Member
    Check out Martin Berkhan's Leangains program. It's for this sort of thing.

• Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    syeehmzh wrote: »

You won't have significant muscle added during weight loss to consider it a goal.

I would focus on weight loss first if you have weight to lose. So eating in a deficit.

I would also advice finding any template you like and you can see your self adhere to. In general terms, if you are untrained "ANY" program will produce benefits. It doesn't matter what program, literally if you are untrained.

Utilizing resistance training while losing weight is beneficial to help retain muscle and build strength in most cases such as yours.

A template that involves any of the following lifts would be a decent choice.

Deadlifts, rdl's, leg press, hip belt squat, lunges, and any variation would be sufficient.

Once you complete a program, move onto more advanced programming for your goals.