Anyone who exercises, who has a condition?

I'm new to this whole exercise thing, tried many times and failed. But I'm trying again.

But I have a spinal condition called Scoliosis, the S curve. So even walking for 5 minutes is painful for me. You look through these forums and you always see people running long distances and doing all their complicated exercises. But anyone else out there who has a condition that stops them from doing all that? Where you can only do the basic things.

----

My exercise is taking the dog out. Just now I got back from a 25 minute walk with him. I plan to up this more and more as my spine and legs get stronger. I also would like to start riding my bike again. Just normal-speed riding, to the park and back. And I'd love to strengthen my arms and upper body too.

So anyone with a body condition, how do you cope? what exercises do you do? I'd love to know

Replies

• Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    edited October 2019
    I have RA that has me with a cane from time to time and extreme pain and swelling 24/7.

I also have failing kidneys either from the progressive disease and/or radiation/chemo a few years back.

It can be tricky, but I know the signs if I need to adjust my training or just life in general.

Are you strength training currently?
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    You don't have to run nor do complicated exercise. You will find a lot of exercise videos on Youtube that are designed for people with all kinds of conditions. If you need to look for ones that are seated. They have weight and aerobic ones that are can help.
  • LAT1963
    LAT1963 Posts: 1,375 Member
    Do you have access to a pool? Recumbant bike?

How old are you? If you are young enough there are treatments that can reduce scoliosis, but they are most effective in young people who's bones are still growing.
  • Rhumax67
    Rhumax67 Posts: 162 Member
    Could you ask your doctor fro a referral for physical therapy? A good therapist should be able to work out a safe useful program. BTW, a 25 min walk is wonderful!
  • EliseTK1
    EliseTK1 Posts: 479 Member
    I am 34 and was recently diagnosed with levoscoliosis and a spinal stenosis. The pain can be unbearable sometimes but then nonexistent other times. I have been in physical therapy for a month, and it's helping tremendously. I lift weights 3-4 times a week and do non-jarring cardio like spinning and an elliptical most days as well. A big difference for me is that walking actually helps, although running is still a big nope because of the pounding.

I highly recommend physical therapy. Feel free to add me- I'm all about mutual support!
  • HoneyBadger302
    HoneyBadger302 Posts: 1,970 Member
    Not really "conditions" persay, but injuries that limit my ability to do things.

Worst is my pilon fracture - can't run, can't do overhead squats, and it limits a LOT of other things. Amazing how much we rely on our ankles to do things! Also have a shoulder that has an as-yet un-diagnosed issue (probably a torn something or other).

For the ankle, I just modify as needed, and do what I can otherwise. I've had to build up slowly, but have most of my old (overall) strength back. That leg will never quite look like the other, since between bad atrophy (that stubbornly won't go away) and the inability to use the full ROM and fully engage certain muscles, it just can't quite do what the other leg can.

The shoulder I just have to be cautious of. Build up slowly (VERY slowly), and take my time, and be careful. If I up my weights, I need to be very careful with my form and really listen to my body. I've manage to set myself back a couple times with this one.

Bad knees, but lots of folks have those. Those would also make running a not-great idea, but lots of balance type work/exercise seems to keep them in pretty good shape. Went through PT for them years ago, and have just kept up with it myself since and they hold up pretty good as long as I keep up with it.
  • IamBorg
    IamBorg Posts: 49 Member
    Yes, I have a few different conditions that affect me differently. Most, thankfully, are intermittent. Sometimes I can shoot hoops, climb a rock wall (okay, only half climb but still), and hike. Sometimes I'm thrilled if I can walk to my car in the parking lot and back, slowly and with a cane.

Do what you can, when you can. Let your body tell you when it's ready for a bit of a challenge and when it needs to rest.
  • firef1y72
    firef1y72 Posts: 1,579 Member
    edited October 2019
    I have Eds hypermobility type, I guess you would say it's a condition. I live with a background level of pain, and I live with it I very rarely let it stop me doing anything.
    I tire quicker than I would if I didnt have the condition, but I've no idea how quickly I would tire without, I run marathons, not fast but I run them.
    I'm more prone to injury especially dislocations and sublexations. I've strength trained to mitigate this risk, but am currently nursing a case of tennis elbow (probably caused by over-extending), it's frustrating but I'm finally starting to.be able to use it after a month.

I bruise easily, which means my toes are in a state from running. I have digestive issues, which only affect me in as far as I cant eat meat so I find it harder to get protein.

4years ago I was on crutches letting my condition rule me, now I rule my condition and dont let it stop me. I do listen to.my physio (who is very happy with my progress), and I have a trainer that understands my limitations. But I'm very much of the mindset that if I want to succeed at something I will, even if I have to do things a little differently.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    i have something like fibro
    i run longer distances and aerial yoga/hammock

i found that yoga helped me support my joints and minimize pain. and put the pain in perspective
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    I'm new to this whole exercise thing, tried many times and failed. But I'm trying again.

But I have a spinal condition called Scoliosis, the S curve. So even walking for 5 minutes is painful for me. You look through these forums and you always see people running long distances and doing all their complicated exercises. But anyone else out there who has a condition that stops them from doing all that? Where you can only do the basic things.

----

My exercise is taking the dog out. Just now I got back from a 25 minute walk with him. I plan to up this more and more as my spine and legs get stronger. I also would like to start riding my bike again. Just normal-speed riding, to the park and back. And I'd love to strengthen my arms and upper body too.

So anyone with a body condition, how do you cope? what exercises do you do? I'd love to know

I have motor coordination issues. (I have a couple of other things going on, like collapsed veins in my legs, but apart from wearing compression stockings, that's not a big deal, so long as I don't get cuts or scrapes.)

Mostly, I avoid sports, dancing, and swimming. Walking is my main cardio. I run when I have something to train for. And I strength train with dumbbells—which has been challenging until I got the hang of it. (Tense this, unclench that, inhale while doing this, exhale while doing that... it's a good thing I started off with 3lb weights!)