Lets talk Peanut butter?

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    acpgee wrote: »
    Hoping everyone realizes how easy it is to make peanut butter at home. We did this growing up in my household. Just dump some peanuts in the food processor or blender and blitz. Add salt or sugar as desired. The only drawback is hefty cleanup.

I've done this before...I'm a big proponent of making certain things at home from scratch rather than purchasing in the store due to tasting better...often much better. I personally didn't think the hassle involved with making my own peanut butter was really worth it...it tasted just like the stuff I buy at the store.

Tortillas on the other hand...I will always make my own flour tortillas...they are infinitely better than anything you can get in the store.
  • teresa19622015
    teresa19622015 Posts: 34 Member
    I love peanut butter but I can’t have any tempting foods in the house. Don’t feel guilty - it is a good food in limited quantities and seems like you are successfully fitting it in calorie-wise and still losing weight.
  • OAS5
    OAS5 Posts: 374 Member
    Got the Kirkland organic peanut butter and its really good. Its oily of course so you have to mix it but its very good peanut butter.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,966 Member
    Got the Kirkland organic peanut butter and its really good. Its oily of course so you have to mix it but its very good peanut butter.

Yes, you were right. :flowerforyou: I took at look at it today when I went there for yogurt (and an unplanned ladder :lol: ). I could swear it had palm oil, not all that far back.

If only they'd stock a good crunchy one (creamy is not my jam ;) ). While I don't really care about 'clean', I do like to keep things simple, so I'd buy/try it if they had it crunchy.

It's surprising how much variation there is in flavor/texture even among peanut butters with just peanuts and salt. Some are soupy, some thick; some darker roasted; some taste kinda stale. For now, I'm sticking to Santa Cruz, not the cheapest but so far the best texture/taste.

How do you store it? I mix mine, then put it in the fridge - mostly stays mixed. My dad used to store his on the shelf, but upside down, for a result a little closer to automatically mixed at room temp.

• OAS5
    OAS5 Posts: 374 Member
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

Yes, you were right. :flowerforyou: I took at look at it today when I went there for yogurt (and an unplanned ladder :lol: ). I could swear it had palm oil, not all that far back.

If only they'd stock a good crunchy one (creamy is not my jam ;) ). While I don't really care about 'clean', I do like to keep things simple, so I'd buy/try it if they had it crunchy.

It's surprising how much variation there is in flavor/texture even among peanut butters with just peanuts and salt. Some are soupy, some thick; some darker roasted; some taste kinda stale. For now, I'm sticking to Santa Cruz, not the cheapest but so far the best texture/taste.

How do you store it? I mix mine, then put it in the fridge - mostly stays mixed. My dad used to store his on the shelf, but upside down, for a result a little closer to automatically mixed at room temp.

I don't know what to do with it. The messy oily runny part is annoying not it tastes great. I just mix as I go, store it in the pantry.
  • moonangel12
    moonangel12 Posts: 971 Member
    I eat it every day, but it's a particularly difficult food to eyeball or spoon-measure accurately because it's so calorie dense. What I do it put the jar on my scale, make sure it's zeroed, then scoop out my peanut butter. The negative number on the scale is the amount I took out: Accurate, and no extra dishes to wash. (You know I'm gonna lick the spoon. ;) ).

Enjoyment FTW! :)

I read this last week, then lost the thread and couldn’t find it again. This tip is fantastic! My brain fog would have never let me come up with such an idea - makes it so much easier, and fewer dishes depending on what you are using it for (scooping some out just to eat out of a spoon).

Just bought some PBFit which is great for smoothies and overnight oats!
  • AnnPT77
    I eat it every day, but it's a particularly difficult food to eyeball or spoon-measure accurately because it's so calorie dense. What I do it put the jar on my scale, make sure it's zeroed, then scoop out my peanut butter. The negative number on the scale is the amount I took out: Accurate, and no extra dishes to wash. (You know I'm gonna lick the spoon. ;) ).

Enjoyment FTW! :)

I read this last week, then lost the thread and couldn’t find it again. This tip is fantastic! My brain fog would have never let me come up with such an idea - makes it so much easier, and fewer dishes depending on what you are using it for (scooping some out just to eat out of a spoon).

Just bought some PBFit which is great for smoothies and overnight oats!

With apologies to the OP for the very distinct digression from the peanut butter topic, the thread below (despite its joke/clickbait title) is about tips for using a food scale in the most efficient, least time-consuming or fussy ways. The jar-on-scale tip is in there. Weighing food, done with the right tips, is not only more accurate than cups/spoons, it's also easier and less time consuming. (It's still not the case that everyone needs to weigh food . . . but some of us need to, and some others prefer to. Might as well be good at it, eh? ;) )

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10498882/weighing-food-takes-too-long-and-is-obsessive
  • bear2303
    bear2303 Posts: 252 Member
    my guilty pleasure is peanut butter mixed with maple syrup. If you haven't tried this, it is incredible. Don't feel guilty. It's a good source of protein :) I too have lost 73 plus lbs so far.

Oh my gosh! Peanut butter on a waffle and then maple syrup on top is DIVINE!!!
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,937 Member
    So to stay on topic, I buy fresh ground peanut butter at the natural section in my Fred Meyer. Ingredients: peanuts. Still warm from the grinder.

Then I try to hide it in the back of the refrigerator or it is just too available.

Kinda like this thread. . .
  • Luke_rabbit
    Luke_rabbit Posts: 1,031 Member

I don't know what to do with it. The messy oily runny part is annoying not it tastes great. I just mix as I go, store it in the pantry.

We always store it in the fridge after opening and stirring really well. It sets in about 12 hours and never has to be stirred again. If you need it quicker, an hour in the freezer will do the trick.

Stirring well with a butter knife is the key, otherwise the top is runny and the bottom is paste. It's a slow process, but a good workout for your wrist.

If a brand is still runny after 12 hours in the fridge, you can try thickening it with some PB2 or (my fav) graham cracker crumbs. Never had to figure out calories on that, though!

If it's too thick, let it warm up a little, if that doesn't work, mix in a little peanut oil.
  • AnnPT77
    boldknee wrote: »

We always store it in the fridge after opening and stirring really well. It sets in about 12 hours and never has to be stirred again. If you need it quicker, an hour in the freezer will do the trick.

Stirring well with a butter knife is the key, otherwise the top is runny and the bottom is paste. It's a slow process, but a good workout for your wrist.

If a brand is still runny after 12 hours in the fridge, you can try thickening it with some PB2 or (my fav) graham cracker crumbs. Never had to figure out calories on that, though!

If it's too thick, let it warm up a little, if that doesn't work, mix in a little peanut oil.

Try putting the jar on the counter on its side for a few hours before you first open it and stir. When you go through the kitchen, turn the jar a quarter turn, or turn it upside down for a while (don't do that last ;) ). It can make the stirring a little easier. :)

Even just storing it on its side before opening is a tiny help, because it's easier to get the knife in the oily side, and all the oil is more along the side and not so much slopping over the top when you open the jar.

Some of the cheaper all-natural peanut butter I've tried was oilier, so soupier, thus was more likely to settle a bit even in the fridge. If the lid is very tight, storing it in the fridge on its side and turning it now and then may help. (I may be more compulsive about helping it not settle, on account of liking crunchy style: Having all the crunch gradually migrate to the bottom is a drag, even if the oil doesn't separate. :lol: ).
  • Luke_rabbit
    Luke_rabbit Posts: 1,031 Member
    just_Tomek wrote: »
    Rookies.

Store the jar upside down. Problem solved.

I've seen this lots of times. Never helped for me. Glad it works out for you.
  • MeredithMinch
    MeredithMinch Posts: 8 Member
    Natural peanut butter is better for you. But I do love me some Jif! Aldi has a great natural pb that costs around $3 a container, save some $!
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,886 Member
    Now I want home made tortillas with PB and maple syrup...
  • kellyjellybellyjelly
    kellyjellybellyjelly Posts: 9,480 Member
    At the moment I am really enjoying this brands fun flavors

https://youfreshnaturals.com/

Mostly almond & cashew butters

Still won't turn my nose up to Reese's Peanut Butter cups or a PB&J.
  • pancakerunner
    pancakerunner Posts: 6,137 Member
    bapyybmw7lav.png

the only kind worth buying
  • PAPYRUS3
    PAPYRUS3 Posts: 13,259 Member
    Graham crackers smeared w/ crunchy pb and banana...with a pinch of flaked sea salt on top!

...however, because I have no control with the above :o ...this is what I'm doing as of late:

pb powder mixed in w/ pressed/dry cottage cheese/banana and a bit of Swerve brown sugar. Smear this concoction onto either a rice cake or cloud bread. Weird maybe, but to me it tastes great!
  • wendyheath32
    wendyheath32 Posts: 74 Member
    Love peanut hazelnut cashew and almond butter. Put it on toast, in smoothies or porridge. Also long as something fits your calorie goals then why not eat it ( I've found with a bit of planning i can enjoy higher calorie things comfortably ). Gltebd to go for wholenut rather hen ones woth added sugar, salt and oil
  • DiscipleOfChrist29
    DiscipleOfChrist29 Posts: 84 Member
    I eat it and do not feel guilty about it. Some peanut butters have less sugar than others. The last one I tried was a powdered peanut butter. It was really good. Macro Mike brand.

z2pwr519cy4a.png