Gained five pounds overnight

I haven't been working out properly in about two weeks, owing to work. Up until then I had been strength training and noticed some gains at 193 lbs.
During these last two weeks, my diet went haywire. I was under a lot of stress and I've been eating a lot of junk, but until yesterday morning, my weight hovered around 193lbs. However, I felt some of my clothes were tighter than they used to be. Yesterday I had a really bad binge and my weight skyrocketed to 198 lbs. Could the weight gain have caught up to me?

Replies

• MikePTY
    MikePTY Posts: 3,814 Member
    Did you eat 17,500 calories above maintenance yesterday? My guess is even with a "really bad binge", no where even remotely close to that. So if not, you didn't gain 5 pounds of fat overnight. Rather do to the binge you put on a lot of water weight from your body retaining the excess food and sodium and not fully digesting it yet. That is not real weight gain and you will lose it after a few days back to normal.
  • LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,964 Member
    You'll pee it out, not to worry. Fluctuations and plateaus are a normal part of the process.
  • Vune
    Vune Posts: 672 Member
    If you've consistently been eating above maintenance for the past two weeks of "haywire" eating, then some of it is probably actual gain. Still likely that most of it is water, though.

I find that my stress eating mechanisms don't care if I'm eating masssive amounts of produce or "junk." They just want the food shoveled in. Maybe that could work for you until you're back on an even keel?
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    edited October 2019
    Unless you were dehydrated for 2 weeks there is no "catching up". You gain and lose weight everyday it just does not show up on the scale that way. Read this:

http://physiqonomics.com/the-weird-and-highly-annoying-world-of-scale-weight-and-fluctuations/

In order for your weight gain to be "masked" you would have to be dehydrated during every scale reading so that your water weight as abnormally low. This is typically not going to happen unless you are sick.

More than likely you gained maybe a third of a pound yesterday and the rest is water retention.
  • capriqueen
    capriqueen Posts: 974 Member
    NovusDies wrote: »
    Unless you were dehydrated for 2 weeks there is no "catching up". You gain and lose weight everyday it just does not show up on the scale that way. Read this:

http://physiqonomics.com/the-weird-and-highly-annoying-world-of-scale-weight-and-fluctuations/

In order for your weight gain to be "masked" you would have to be dehydrated during every scale reading so that your water weight as abnormally low. This is typically not going to happen unless you are sick.

More than likely you gained maybe a third of a pound yesterday and the rest is water retention.

Thanks a lot, does going to the bathroom in the morning before stepping on the scale count as being "dehydrated"? Or are you referring to severe dehydration?
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    capriqueen wrote: »
    NovusDies wrote: »

Thanks a lot, does going to the bathroom in the morning before stepping on the scale count as being "dehydrated"? Or are you referring to severe dehydration?

It does not count. That is normal and should be the way you weigh yourself for consistency.

Dehydration is best noted in the color of your mid morning (second trip to the restroom) and later urine color. If is straw yellow or lighter you are fine. If it is dark you are dehydrated and need to drink more. I only mentioned it as an extreme example.
  • StaciMarie2020
    StaciMarie2020 Posts: 68 Member
    Forgive me for being blunt, but before you weighed in - had you pooped out all the binge? Probably not. Eating more food yesterday (in terms of the quantity of food or food mass) means that when you got on the scale this morning, you had more food in you. A bit like stepping on the scales w/ a few extra snacks in your pockets.

That and sodium...
    capriqueen wrote: »
    I haven't been working out properly in about two weeks, owing to work. Up until then I had been strength training and noticed some gains at 193 lbs.
    During these last two weeks, my diet went haywire. I was under a lot of stress and I've been eating a lot of junk, but until yesterday morning, my weight hovered around 193lbs. However, I felt some of my clothes were tighter than they used to be. Yesterday I had a really bad binge and my weight skyrocketed to 198 lbs. Could the weight gain have caught up to me?

• CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Why I love knowing the math behind this - 3,500 kcals/lb. So as @mikepty and all the majority of comments made on this thread - it's just a combination of water and glycogen.

Hydrate. Get back to normal and wait 5-7 days and this should trend back to normal.
  • tk2222
    tk2222 Posts: 199 Member
    I gained ('gained') 4 kg (about 10lb) between last night and this morning - drank a small bottle of water in between, didn't eat anything, weighing myself on the probably wonky scale in this tiny hotel gym. Fluctuations are weird, scales are weird, don't worry about it. It's all about the long term trend - weeks, not days.
  • caprihana
    caprihana Posts: 38 Member
    It used to freak me out too, I could gain 2lb overnight, but as the others have said it's one of those things (water/undigested food/not going to the toilet) when you weigh yourself regularly you can see patterns. Learn not to panic, look at the figures over the weeks, averages are much better for your state of mind!
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
    The only times I've seen an overnight gain of as much as 5lbs is when I've gone hiking all day the day before, or something similar. The next day, I sometimes see a large gain that goes away in another couple of days. It's basically due to swelling.

A big gain due to inactivity and eating seems more likely to build up over a few days. Sodium is a big factor. But, get in some cardio and perhaps do a fast day, and it can go away almost as quickly.

Best of luck!
  • wahmx3
    wahmx3 Posts: 646 Member
    Is there a particular food that "makes" you gain weight without actually eating a ton of calories? For some reason, my body hates it when I eat jujubes....I know even if I have a handful, I'll gain at least a pound and maybe 2, then lose it by the next day.
  • idreamincolor5
    idreamincolor5 Posts: 11 Member
    It sounds like you may be eating too much sodium and sugar. I feel that sodium is most likely the cause and you are probably putting on water weight. Try eating more whole foods. I think if you cut the junk food out for a few days (processed meals), you will see your weight go back to normal.
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,129 Member
    edited October 2019
    wahmx3 wrote: »
    Is there a particular food that "makes" you gain weight without actually eating a ton of calories? For some reason, my body hates it when I eat jujubes....I know even if I have a handful, I'll gain at least a pound and maybe 2, then lose it by the next day.

Weight gain on the scale as you are describing above has nothing to do with calories, your body retains more water when you eat more carbs and/or sodium, this is a totally normal process in which your body is regulating itself.

Water retention can also be caused by:
    • Alcohol
    • Illness/Injury
    • Certain Medications
    • New or more intense exercise
    • Hydration level
    • Hormone changes (particularly for women)

You can also feel more bloated from food intolerances/allergies and if constipated.

ETA: For the vast majority of people there is no need to do anything about it, except have a little patience and let the weight come off, the only reason it's a concern is if you have a medical condition. If you're seeking to lose weight, you are trying to lose fat, not water.