Overeating on days off (night worker)

I work nights and do awesome on those days. I stay perfectly in my calorie goals. I've lost 39lbs so far and am still losing but it's slow because I'm off 3 nights a week and I eat out of boredom. I don't want to wake my kid up so I sit in the living room watching Netflix all night on low volume. I can't leave the house so I dont know what to do to combat the boredom eating. Any ideas? I just ate half a tub of cool whip. 😭

Replies

• monkeystikx
    monkeystikx Posts: 40 Member
    I think you know...... Try eating healthy drinking water.
  • violasmith85
    violasmith85 Posts: 274 Member
    I think you know...... Try eating healthy drinking water.

I eat low carb to control my diabetes. I haven't had to take insulin in forever. So what I eat is fine. And I was looking for tips for controlling boredom eating not what I eat, specifically in times when I can't be active for numerous hours. Thanks for the attitude.
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,646 Member
    Maybe pre log and plan for snacks? I'm not personally a boredom eater but maybe try some things to keep you busy besides Netflix... even a video game.
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    My thoughts. Would you have eaten the Kool whip If it had not been there. You have kids, so completely controlling your food environment is a little harder for you than me. Though, controlling what we have in the house can be a good strategy. If it's not there. You cant eat it. It takes temptation out of the picture and reduces the need for will power. I agree with doing something more engaging. Keeps the brain occupied. Keep healthy snacks. Would you have eaten a bag of carrots? Maybe, but unlikely. Why low carb for diabetes? Look at the ADA recommendations. They are now low carb, more moderate. Jmho
  • Luke_rabbit
    Luke_rabbit Posts: 1,031 Member
    Have you considered learning to knit or crochet? You don't have to be good at it, but it keeps your hands busy. My friend swears by this approach to stop snacking.

For me, I like to play mindless games on my phone while listening to books or music - with headphones if I am trying to be quiet.

Maybe chewing gum, if that doesn't bother your digestive system.

Keeping precut veggies in the fridge and making a deal with yourself that you will eat a big bowl of those in between any other snacks.

Not having trigger snacks in the house - or store them in the kid's room or somewhere near their rooms so it would make too much noise if you got them..

Hope one of these ideas helps.
  • violasmith85
    psychod787 wrote: »
    My thoughts. Would you have eaten the Kool whip If it had not been there. You have kids, so completely controlling your food environment is a little harder for you than me. Though, controlling what we have in the house can be a good strategy. If it's not there. You cant eat it. It takes temptation out of the picture and reduces the need for will power. I agree with doing something more engaging. Keeps the brain occupied. Keep healthy snacks. Would you have eaten a bag of carrots? Maybe, but unlikely. Why low carb for diabetes? Look at the ADA recommendations. They are now low carb, more moderate. Jmho

I'm insulin resistant so low carb is the only way to go without taking insulin. I'm 34 and been diabetic since I was 12. The cool whip and berries are the only "sweets" I allow myself but ya. I probably won't have it on hand on my days off to help prevent that. Funny that you mentioned carrots because I love them and totally would eat a ton but they are full of sugar so I don't buy them often. But you've given me a great idea. I'll time my grocery shopping to make sure the higher calorie stuff is only available on work days when temptation is low. Thanks!
  • violasmith85
    Maybe pre log and plan for snacks? I'm not personally a boredom eater but maybe try some things to keep you busy besides Netflix... even a video game.

Fantastic idea. I just got the Spyro trilogy in the humble monthly bundle. Usually I play games after work to wind down and the computer is right next to my son's room but I could move it so I won't risk waking him.
  • psychod787

I'm insulin resistant so low carb is the only way to go without taking insulin. I'm 34 and been diabetic since I was 12. The cool whip and berries are the only "sweets" I allow myself but ya. I probably won't have it on hand on my days off to help prevent that. Funny that you mentioned carrots because I love them and totally would eat a ton but they are full of sugar so I don't buy them often. But you've given me a great idea. I'll time my grocery shopping to make sure the higher calorie stuff is only available on work days when

. losing weight increases insulin sensitivity. High fat can cause insulin resistance as well if eaten in excess. I dont know what level your dm is, but moderate carb can be ok.
  • aries68mc
    aries68mc Posts: 173 Member
    I think keeping your hands, and even mind, busy would be good. Someone mentioned knitting/crocheting. J=How about those adult coloring books? Or even reading a book. Maybe writing in a journal?

Good luck!
  • amkita
    amkita Posts: 183 Member
    I'm not a stickler, but I've found intermittent fasting helps with this. by having a window of time for meals, then no food outside that window, I have cut way back on random boredom-related snacking.

pre-logging, as someone else mentioned, is helpful too! that way you can portion out based on what you've entered, and you can see what the energy/caloric intake will be up front.

and... video games or crafty stuff (knitting!) also sound like super helpful distractions. I'm definitely a I'm-bored-lets-snack sort of person, so helping my brain occupied helps. taking a few moments to analyze (is this boredom or actual hunger) is a great way to get in tune with your cravings as well.
  • amkita
    amkita Posts: 183 Member
    oh! I meant to add, IF was super helpful for me initially because I really got to analyze my hunger. I realized that that initial bored/hunger signal is something I could overcome with practice.
  • maureenkhilde
    maureenkhilde Posts: 850 Member
    I am going to second or third getting some type of hobby that will take up time.

Knitting and crocheting there are decent you tube videos to show how to do it. I can do a basic beanie hat after watching a few of those. And if you feel inclined many hospitals love getting the baby hats for the newborns. Or even basic scarves and so for homeless. Or family and friends.

Another one if you like to read, is there are online book clubs.

One that I have just started doing, and am at the very bottom level is acrylic pouring artwork.

I for one totally support you on the low carb approach, with being diabetic as well.
  • missjck2
    missjck2 Posts: 146 Member
    Floor exercises could give you something else to do as well as help with weight loss. A yoga mat, 5 lb weights, resistance bands etc go a long way, they’re also quiet 🙂
  • maureenkhilde
    maureenkhilde Posts: 850 Member

Another viewpoint a bit different. The ADA is very slow to make changes, that statement was shared by my endocrinologist.
    And something I think worth clarifying as I see it quite a bit, and mean no disrespect and I too am guilty of this. Is when we say low, or moderate. As to what that really means.
    For diabetics in general, not differentiating between 1 or 2 here.
    Low Carb 50 to 100 grams and or 10 to 20% of ones caloric intake
    Mod Carb 100 to 150 grams and or 20-35% of ones caloric intake
    Reg Carb 151 or higher.
    My endocrinologist has as a handout, and on their walls these days as well.

Not talking net carbs, or about Keto. Could not agree with you more about healthy snacks. And not going overboard on the fats.

Diabetics as a whole in general, opposed to non-diabetics should not be getting the 45 to 60% caloric intake from carbs as a whole.
  • Shift work is hard for sure. I put on 30 pounds when I was a care worker. I really struggled with intense hunger after nights. My appetite didn’t settle until I got a 9 to 5 job but I appreciate that may not b an option for you.

I used to do home workouts and not keep the tasty treats in the house. And I learned to play guitar. Quietly!!
  • reversemigration
    reversemigration Posts: 168 Member
    Fellow night shifter here who also keeps a night schedule when not working. I'm not sure my solutions to keeping busy will work for you, as I have the good fortune to have a spouse on the opposite schedule who can be home (if sleeping) when the kids are sleeping. I hit the gym pretty much every night I'm off (and after shift on those that I'm not.) I do active chores - up and down the stairs doing laundry (quietly), for instance. I'll even go out walking in the neighborhood.

I agree with the other posters about pre-logging and finding enjoyable activities that you don't associate with food. I think if I were watching much Netflix I'd be devouring popcorn and snacks. For me, reading, playing some computer games, etc keep me out of trouble. :) Good luck!
  • ecjim
    ecjim Posts: 1,001 Member
    edited October 2019
    I used to work nights at the hospital - on my days off I would switch back to more of a daytime schedule. Sleep night and be awake during the day. If you are sleeping at night you are not awake eating out of boredom
  • cheryldumais
    cheryldumais Posts: 1,907 Member
    One of my regrets when I lost the weight was that I didn't lift weights to maintain muscle mass. I would suggest that you use this time to lift weights and build or at the very least maintain muscle while you are losing weight. I too spend way too much time in front of the TV and am mpw planning to use this time instead to lift weights.
  • psychod787
    One of my regrets when I lost the weight was that I didn't lift weights to maintain muscle mass. I would suggest that you use this time to lift weights and build or at the very least maintain muscle while you are losing weight. I too spend way too much time in front of the TV and am mpw planning to use this time instead to lift weights.

Amen! Lifting also improves insulin sensitivity. OP, I am type 2 in "remission" last a1c was 5.1. I eat 40-45% carbs. Mostly whole foods fruits and veggies. My highest a1c was 6.4, but had a fasting bs of 339. We all have our levels we can push. If your endocrinologist says lowering carbs for you is good, stick with it. Mine told me to eat more! Though, I am crazy active. One thought, I don't know your financial situation or size of dwelling, but I might suggest looking into a small peddle bike. Amazon has cheap ones for under $25 u.s . They are not loud and would give you something to do while you watch tv. Jmho.
  • psychod787
    Oh and if you like berries in a creamy medium. Might I suggest using 1-2% greek yogurt or fat free? The protein and fat in the yogurt, along with the fiber in the berries will blunt the "spike" in b.s. in most cases.