food exchange

I have a english muffin with a egg on it for breakfast. The english muffin is 110-130 calories. Love them but looking for something that is maybe healthier exchange while still getting bread satisfaction. Any suggestions?

Replies

• RelCanonical
    RelCanonical Posts: 3,882 Member
    I use low-calorie bread. It's really only useful toasted because it is an airy, delicate bread, but I like the taste of it. I use Aunt Millie's 35 calorie bread.

I also like using tortillas with my eggs. A small corn tortilla is only 25 calories, but small flour tortillas are also only 70-80 calories. You can get low carb versions, I use an 8-inch low-carb tortilla from Market Pantry (Target brand) that is 90 calories, but that's not too much of a cut from an english muffin, so it might not be worth it.
  • aries68mc
    aries68mc Posts: 173 Member
    I will occasionally have a lite, whole wheat or whole grain english muffin, which is 100 calories. Also, whole wheat fajita size tortillas.
  • BarbaraHelen2013
    BarbaraHelen2013 Posts: 1,940 Member
    You could try a protein bagel thin if you have those where you are. Not a calorie saving perhaps but there’s a small protein bonus and the absence of fat.

Or, again you may not have such things, but what about swapping your muffin for a crumpet? Average 85-90 cals and lovely toasted with egg! 😋

(I wish I could get the low calorie bread I see talked about on these forums)
  • RelCanonical
    RelCanonical Posts: 3,882 Member
    You could try a protein bagel thin if you have those where you are. Not a calorie saving perhaps but there’s a small protein bonus and the absence of fat.

Or, again you may not have such things, but what about swapping your muffin for a crumpet? Average 85-90 cals and lovely toasted with egg! 😋

(I wish I could get the low calorie bread I see talked about on these forums)

The low-calorie bread is definitely a staple in my diet right now, I'm so spoiled by it that sometimes I forget just how much of a calorie killer regular bread can be.
  • Luke_rabbit
    Luke_rabbit Posts: 1,031 Member
    Options (some mentioned above):

Eat it open faced, so you only use half an English muffin at a time.

Lower cal English muffins (about 100 calories).

There are numerous slim, thins, rounds, etc options of bread and bagels that are in the 100 calorie range.

Lower cal bread. These range from 30-60 calories a slice. You will have to try them to see what you like. I settled on Nature's Own Double Fiber - 50 cal, larger surface area.

Tortilla. Either very small ones or lower carb options. Mission makes a delicious 70 cal Carb Balance tortilla. They also make a 60 cal whole wheat version. I also use Ole Extreme Wellness High Fiber tortillas (50 cal).
  • LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,970 Member
    Eat whatever you want, stay in a calorie deficit and lose weight.

I eat most of my calories at breakfast, because that's my favorite meal.

Figure out works for you. This is your journey.
  • thanos5
    thanos5 Posts: 513 Member
    boldknee wrote: »
    Options (some mentioned above):

Eat it open faced, so you only use half an English muffin at a time.

Lower cal English muffins (about 100 calories).

There are numerous slim, thins, rounds, etc options of bread and bagels that are in the 100 calorie range.

Lower cal bread. These range from 30-60 calories a slice. You will have to try them to see what you like. I settled on Nature's Own Double Fiber - 50 cal, larger surface area.

Tortilla. Either very small ones or lower carb options. Mission makes a delicious 70 cal Carb Balance tortilla. They also make a 60 cal whole wheat version. I also use Ole Extreme Wellness High Fiber tortillas (50 cal).

agreed, i eat a couple of these every day, they are amazing and oddly filling. probably because of all the fiber.

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,724 Member
    You could stuff your egg into half an Ezekiel pita, which is about 50 calories per half, with a decent-ish nutritional contribution (3.5g protein, 4g fiber, various good grains, plus some micros).
  • shunggie
    shunggie Posts: 1,036 Member
    I get the whole wheat English muffins myself. It gives you a whole grain and not too many calories.
  • Camaramandy648
    Camaramandy648 Posts: 711 Member
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    You could stuff your egg into half an Ezekiel pita, which is about 50 calories per half, with a decent-ish nutritional contribution (3.5g protein, 4g fiber, various good grains, plus some micros).

But do the ezekiel pitas taste good?
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,724 Member

Personally, I love them . . . but I have a strong whole-grain taste preference, and I know different people have different tastes. They come in a bag of 6, so it's not a big commitment to try them.
  • LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,970 Member
    edited October 2019

Ezekial products are an acquired taste. It took me a very long time to get used to the bread, now I love it. Still can't stand the pitas.
  • missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    I get light English muffins. They’re only 90 calories. The brand I buy is Country Hearth. I think Thomas’ has a light version as well, but they are a few more calories, I want to say maybe 100. I buy the Country Hearth because they come in packages of 12 for $2.50 the Thomas ones are 6 for about $4.00. Not much difference in taste. I freeze them and take out as needed.

One of my favorite breakfasts is either a soft boiled, or poached egg on a toasted English muffin topped with 1/8 tsp chia seeds and a little flake sea salt.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    are you looking to replace because of calories or because of health benefits? there is nothing wrong with english muffins in general unless you need to be counting carbs for a health reason; or are you looking for a lower cal substitute to give you some more wriggle room later in the day