Keto

Hotelsma
Hotelsma Posts: 404 Member
Hello MFPers, starting Keto with exercise. Join the thread for advice, tips and success.

Replies

• Hotelsma
    edited October 2019
    This is my biggest problem when doing keto. I tend to eat less because the foods I eat are very pure then go down in calories. I’ll make sure I keep my fats up.

Cheers
  • Hotelsma
    Six weeks on Keto and I lost 23 lbs. I'm not a big meat eater, and usually a 6 oz. steak is going to be half (3 oz) of the cat's dinner. I'm big on cheese, eggs, and nuts.

That’s pretty good, do you mind if I ask what your starting weight was and did you do any exercise?
  • Keef75
    Keef75 Posts: 546 Member
    Been on Keto about a month now, I am enjoying it and still learning, biggest issue I have is hitting my fat macros. Carb and protein is no problem
  • Hotelsma
    Keef75 wrote: »
    Been on Keto about a month now, I am enjoying it and still learning, biggest issue I have is hitting my fat macros. Carb and protein is no problem

How much have you lost this far? Are you going above or below your fat macro? If you going below add some cheese and olive oil maybe.
  • Hotelsma
    Keef75 wrote: »

And eggs too
  • candylilacs
    candylilacs Posts: 614 Member
    Hotelsma wrote: »
    That’s pretty good, do you mind if I ask what your starting weight was and did you do any exercise?

My husband weighed in 224 and he is 22 lbs. lower now -- 202. He's on from the couch potato to 5K exercise plan. I just walk about 1-2 miles a day.

It's Keto/Atkins plan, 25-40 carbs a day. I really don't believe in hitting fat macros if you don't feel like it. I eat whole milk (fairlife), whole milk cottage cheese and whole milk yogurt. I cook with olive oil or butter. I sprinkle cheese on my vegetables or I saute my vegetables in butter. And I eat nuts macademia, almonds, and cashews.
  • Hotelsma
    Hotelsma wrote: »

My husband weighed in 224 and he is 22 lbs. lower now -- 202. He's on from the couch potato to 5K exercise plan. I just walk about 1-2 miles a day.

It's Keto/Atkins plan, 25-40 carbs a day. I really don't believe in hitting fat macros if you don't feel like it. I eat whole milk (fairlife), whole milk cottage cheese and whole milk yogurt. I cook with olive oil or butter. I sprinkle cheese on my vegetables or I saute my vegetables in butter. And I eat nuts macademia, almonds, and cashews.

Well done to both👏🏾. I’ve been the same with fats. Find it hard to hit. The only ones I eat is ones you mentioned and Eggs. Keep us posted on your progress 👍🏾
  • candylilacs
    candylilacs Posts: 614 Member
    Don't be "If I don't hit 60% of fats, I don't know what I would do!" I do 40-58% of fats (shh!) and I'm still losing.
  • Hotelsma
    Don't be "If I don't hit 60% of fats, I don't know what I would do!" I do 40-58% of fats (shh!) and I'm still losing.

Keep going I say. Seems to be working nicely. May increase fats if you plateau. Keep us posted
  • sugarismyweakness
    sugarismyweakness Posts: 30 Member
    As someone who regularly dabbles with the keto lifestyle, I found olives and avocados are a great way to increase natural fats.

While cooking everything in butter or adding cheese to everything is delicious, I've researched a lot and found it's good to limit the amount of animal fats (dairy, for example) you have. Obviously that's not to say you can't have it, I still have a good amount of these things, but I get my fats in by eating naturally fatty foods like nuts, olives and avocado, and also cooking in a good amount of extra virgin olive oil or coconut oil.

Don't forget to drink plenty of water and keep a good level of salt intake up. I made this mistake at the start of the year, I'm not a massive fan of salt and kept forgetting to add it to my foods, but then I was regularly getting really painful cramps in my legs and stomach. So now I eat at least one pack of salted pork rinds per day (good for protein as well) and drink Knorr Stock Cubes (not sure where you're from or what they would be called elsewhere) when I feel like I need more salt. I have also taken to drinking sole water to get a good hit of salt quickly. I still don't really like salt very much, but I have found ways to incorporate it into my dietary lifestyle without disliking any of my food

Best of luck with your progress, I hope it works out for you :)
  • Hotelsma
    @fdhunt1 cheers for that. The most carbs I’d consume if 30g.
  • Hotelsma
    @sugarismyweakness you’ve just named two of my most hated foods, olives and avocado 🤢 most of my fats comes from nuts, olive oil and cheese. Coconut oil is one I may dabble in.
  • WanderingGypsySoul
    WanderingGypsySoul Posts: 20 Member
    Hey guys! I'm a newbie to the Keto lifestyle. What are some basic tips and advice that you would pass on so this way I can be on the right path.
  • Hotelsma
    Hey guys! I'm a newbie to the Keto lifestyle. What are some basic tips and advice that you would pass on so this way I can be on the right path.

Hi, and welcome.

Basic tips I would say is maybe start your day with coffee with unsweetened almond milk. It has next to nothing in carbs. If you have a sugar cravings then buy Robinson’s no added sugar squash to give you that sweet craving. That’s all I got atm lol
  • manlyhooduk
    manlyhooduk Posts: 19 Member
    No carbs, include nuts. Eat more veg and drink plenty of water. No sugar or sweets, these are just basics
  • steel_eer
    steel_eer Posts: 1 Member
    I am just starting but can't go full keto until I am done full time nursing in about 5-6 months when my daughter passes a year old. The thing that has helped me understand and motivated me more than I ever have been is the book "The Keto Reset Diet" by Mark Sisson (it is available on Audiobook too so you can listen on your commute). It will help you understand and avoid common mistakes or bad ways of doing Keto.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,899 Member
    No carbs, include nuts. Eat more veg and drink plenty of water. No sugar or sweets, these are just basics

Nuts and vegetables have carbs.

I would agree with the advice to eat mostly veg as your source of carbs, and that nuts are another good food with carbs to eat, but I disagree with "no carbs."

Plenty of keto-ers seem to make keto sweets with artificial sweeteners.